Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:20 AM

As this 5 minute show reel has been talked about on the " An amazing evening with " topic, I thought it might be good to post a link to Leandro's youtube version. I am sure he wouldnt mind.

Dalirium by Leandro Blanco

Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:22 AM

Embedded:

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:26 PM

Embedded:

Would love to see this on the big screen, paying homage to that mad genius. I never appreciated how the scale adds to the appreciation of Dali until I went to the Dali museum in St. Petersburg, Florida.
Only problem, there's not enough sexual psychosis to make it authentic.

Edited by loftus, 01 November 2010 - 03:29 PM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#4 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 01 November 2010 - 05:12 PM

Once again, Leandro displays a mastery of his genre. He is consistently incredible.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#5 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 07:49 PM

Once again, Leandro displays a mastery of his genre. He is consistently incredible.
Steve

He is so unique and a creative genius!

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#6 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:23 AM

He is so unique and a creative genius!

Nice ... Unique? Maybe for underwater however this style of editing has been around for quite sometime :)

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#7 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:27 AM

Hey Dean,
It has? I haven't seen a single uw video from any entries to the SDUFEX show or any of the competitions I have judged. For me, it is not so much the effects that he creates, as they can easily be duplicated by an experienced editor. For me, it is always that 'Why didn't I think of that?" which comes to mind when I see any of his films. The reason for that is that Leandro simply has the greater vision in addition to his skills as an editor and musician. He also has the perfect narrational voice which can't be duplicated. It's like a Jimi Hendrix tune, yeah a good guitarist can copy what Jimi played, but it was Jimi who created it and not the person who copies.
Would love to see some examples of others doing this kind of work, maybe, somehow, that creative 'something' will sink into my brain.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#8 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:55 AM

Hey Dean,
It has? I haven't seen a single uw video from any entries to the SDUFEX show or any of the competitions I have judged. For me, it is not so much the effects that he creates, as they can easily be duplicated by an experienced editor. For me, it is always that 'Why didn't I think of that?" which comes to mind when I see any of his films. The reason for that is that Leandro simply has the greater vision in addition to his skills as an editor and musician. He also has the perfect narrational voice which can't be duplicated. It's like a Jimi Hendrix tune, yeah a good guitarist can copy what Jimi played, but it was Jimi who created it and not the person who copies.
Would love to see some examples of others doing this kind of work, maybe, somehow, that creative 'something' will sink into my brain.
Steve

As I said for underwater it probably is unique who knows I don't watch that many underwater films as I used to anymore? I've seen editing like this before loads of times isn't the start of the 'outer limits' series similar ??? I'm taking away any kudo's or dissing Leandro's work (just incase people think I am) as I do think the man's a genius and I do love the film, it's just the editing technique, for me, is not unique in filmmaking as a whole. Maybe I'm just a lover of the old school way of shooting wildlife films and not totally keen on the 'MTV' style 'fast and busy' editing.

Dive safe

Dean(once again treading on wetpixel eggshells)B
Facebook me ;)

#9 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:26 AM

No eggshells here; that's what honest discussion is all about and how we learn, and, yes, now that you mention it, the openings for the Twilight Zone(not sure on the Outer Limits, used many of the same techniques.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

#10 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 12:50 PM

now that you mention it, the openings for the Twilight Zone(not sure on the Outer Limits, used many of the same techniques.
Steve

There have been a few films, music videos etc out there that have used the same editing style...

No eggshells here; that's what honest discussion is all about and how we learn,
Steve

Not you personally bud :) there are elements out there that cannot take even the smallest critique of their heroes, friends, benefactors :)... At the end of the day we are all human and make mistakes... Cripes! You should see my Pike film :) :)

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)