11 replies to this topic

#1 sergei_vishovski

sergei_vishovski

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

Hello Guys,

I am not too sure whether I am posting in the correct section of the forum so please feel free to correct me or move my post.
I am looking for a used underwater setup and believe it or not I do not have an SLR as of right now at all, so it is a bit easier for me to look at the used classifieds.
A gentleman close to me is selling a setup and I feel like it is well priced for what it is but I wanted to hear some feedback from you guys.
Here it is:
  • Ikelite underwater camera housing to fit Canon EOS 7D DSLR
  • Port
  • Port extension
  • Dome
  • Two Ikelite DS161 Strobes
  • Strobe attachment arms
  • Sync cable
  • All necessary accessories, spare parts, and user manual.

When I asked him which dome it was he said he had the Tamron 17-50mm lens in there and he would find out which one it is exactly.
Do you feel like this is a good setup for $2000.00?
The seller seems to be genuine and answered all my questions and offered for me to try out the strobes etc.
All feedback is much appreciated.

Many thanks :)
Sergei

#2 BigJeff

BigJeff

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:07 PM

Seems like a reasonable price to me if all the equipment is functional (chargers for strobes, unscratched dome etc....).

The real question is do you want a Canon 7D?
Jeff (Sony SLT-A65, Ike Housing, 2 x DS-161)

#3 sergei_vishovski

sergei_vishovski

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:23 PM

Thanks for your reply.
It seems to be a good camera from what I have heard and read online.
Do you have any concerns with that setup or with the camera itself?

#4 Otara

Otara

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:50 PM

Hello Guys,

I am not too sure whether I am posting in the correct section of the forum so please feel free to correct me or move my post.
I am looking for a used underwater setup and believe it or not I do not have an SLR as of right now at all, so it is a bit easier for me to look at the used classifieds.
A gentleman close to me is selling a setup and I feel like it is well priced for what it is but I wanted to hear some feedback from you guys.
Here it is:

• Ikelite underwater camera housing to fit Canon EOS 7D DSLR
  • Port
  • Port extension
  • Dome
  • Two Ikelite DS161 Strobes
  • Strobe attachment arms
  • Sync cable
  • All necessary accessories, spare parts, and user manual.

When I asked him which dome it was he said he had the Tamron 17-50mm lens in there and he would find out which one it is exactly.
Do you feel like this is a good setup for $2000.00?
The seller seems to be genuine and answered all my questions and offered for me to try out the strobes etc.
All feedback is much appreciated.

Many thanks Posted Image
Sergei

My maths shows that to be over $4k worth, so it may be a bit too good pricewise if anything.

That will be a quite large rig, but the strobes are quite powerful and have some video capability as well. If you're intending to travel with it, you might want to look for some of the smaller options.

#5 BigJeff

BigJeff

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:12 AM

No, no concerns over the 7D.

I'm not a Canon user so cannot comment on the camera - but for the 2 K price you can always consider not using the housing and selecting another before you invest in bodies and lenses.
Jeff (Sony SLT-A65, Ike Housing, 2 x DS-161)

#6 sergei_vishovski

sergei_vishovski

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

thanks for everyones input...i will be looking at the whole setup on monday and will make my final decision then...anything you guys can suggest in regards to possible problems with the strobes or housing? I mean what should I look out for when inspecting the items (obviously if pieces of plastic are broken off its not a good sign) but I mean are there any specific things you guys know about when testing the equipment?

Thank you,

#7 TomR1

TomR1

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

It is a good deal if it works. Ikelite has very good service so whatever is wrong with the housing can be easily fixed. Check for scratches on the dome but, unless, they are serious it is not a big problem.

The Tam 17/50 lense is not a normal choice for underwater so I would find out from ikelite what lenses will fit in the port setup.

Simply have the guy show you how to set it up (meaning your hands on the rig) and take an above water shot, then submirse it in fresh water for a spell. A decent shot and no leaks is a go.

I would not be suprised by a good deal. Often used rigs sell for less than many think they are worth.

#8 sergei_vishovski

sergei_vishovski

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

Thanks for the info Tom...I will do as you said and see what happens. :)

#9 seansrs968

seansrs968

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:49 AM

That is a killer deal. The strobes are $1000 each. I have that setup and man I wish I could have gotten all that for $2k.

#10 sergei_vishovski

sergei_vishovski

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

Hey Seansrs968,

So I ended up purchasing it, it really was an incredible deal...I came home and looked at it over and over again and it is in simply perfect condition. The dome has not a single scratch on it and neither does the flat port. Now I just need to buy the camera and a tokina 10-17mm.
I have one question however: When you turn on the strobes they make a little buzzing sounds for like 3-4 seconds, almost like a start up sound..is that normal or should I send it out for service?
Thanks.

#11 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3069 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

That's normal Sergei. Thats the capacitors charging up.

Congrats on the new rig!
Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#12 sergei_vishovski

sergei_vishovski

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

Thank you for your reply Steve :)