7 replies to this topic

#1 OwenLyonsDiver

OwenLyonsDiver

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:13 PM

Hi 

I've recently bought an Olympus TG-5 and took it diving (It's been great so far). However, without a housing it is only depth rated to 15m. I want to buy a housing however there are two choices. I could get the official Olympus housing or an Ikelite housing. I was wondering which people thought would be better to get. 

I also want to get an arms and strobes. I was wondering what people thought would be the best to go with this setup?

Thanks!!! 20170909-P9090728.jpg

#2 Roger-Botting

Roger-Botting

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 03:37 PM

Do get a housing before you flood the camera.
I know people who use the Olympus housing with continuous lights. Some of the get great results. The water is a bit dark here.
I use Ikelite housings and flashes. They work well but do remember that they are part of a system and to switch systems can get expensive.

#3 OwenLyonsDiver

OwenLyonsDiver

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 06:56 AM

Do get a housing before you flood the camera.
I know people who use the Olympus housing with continuous lights. Some of the get great results. The water is a bit dark here.
I use Ikelite housings and flashes. They work well but do remember that they are part of a system and to switch systems can get expensive.

Thanks for the reply Roger! Which ikelite strobe would you recommend (that I could buy relatively cheap second hand)?

Thanks 

Owen 

#4 EvilOtter

EvilOtter

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 08:34 AM

Several retailers offer a compact and inexpensive package that includes an Olympus housing, YS-03 strobe, fibre optic cable, tray and locline arm. My wife uses this setup with the TG-4 and has been very happy with it. If you plan to upgrade to a mirrorless or DSLR setup in the future, you may wish to invest in a higher quality strobe now to avoid rebuying.

Scuba Diving Adventures in Roatán, Honduras

Please visit my YouTube channel: Fish Nerd Films

#5 Kraken de Mabini

Kraken de Mabini

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, travel, carpentry, gardening, biology, physics, design & build UW custom gizmos

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:51 AM

I have tried both the Ikelite and the Olympus PT-056 and PT-058 housings, and the Olympus is clearly the better housing.

A tray is most useful, with a handle and flexible arm for a lamp.  I would not dive with a bare camera, the risk of flooding

is too great.

#6 aeweems12

aeweems12

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:07 PM

I have dove with both the TG-2 & the TG-4. The TG-2 I've done both with & without the housing, however the TG-4 has always been in the housing. I used the Olympus housings for both cameras & haven't had any unexplained issues with them. I like that the Olympus housing is clear, so I can easily see if the housing has a leak before I get too deep.

My setup is the housing attached to a double handled tray, with both handles having loc-line with Gobe 850 Wide lights attached, & also a cold shoe mount on the housing with a Gobe red filter light attached. I have used that same setup for both cameras & have loved the ease of use & the flexibility the Gobe lights give me. I enjoy fluorescent night diving, so the Gobe lights allow me to quickly switch out to the Nightsea heads & then I throw a yellow filter on the front of the camera housing.

After my mother killed her TG-1, I handed her down my TG-2 & housing & upgraded to the TG-4. Currently in the process of upgrading to Sola lights. I don't think you can go wrong with either housing, but I recommend the Olympus housing.

Attached is what my setup looks like & a pic I took in the Turks & Caicos last year.

Attached Images

• PB150543.Vivid_02.JPG
  • 18193319_10105128577242165_3147943784865499496_o.jpg

#7 mharris660

mharris660

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 06:32 PM

I've used the TG cameras for years.  On my TG-4 I use the Ikelite housing.  I just got back from the Galapagos and shot this spotted eagle ray

new19_zpsackxpc2z.jpg

#8 nbdylan

nbdylan

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:25 PM

I also recently used this camera on a trip to Bonaire with the Olympus housing. All worked well as a system and since I am new to this package, it was quite nice having the housing buttons quite clearly marked as to their function.