33 replies to this topic

#21 Bumbi.dombovari

Bumbi.dombovari

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:50 AM

In the quotation article Jeremy Monroe & David Herasimtschuk wrote:

The WWL-1 is a wet-connect lens, which makes split shots challenging, but the Reef Photo team helped us find a perfectly sized o-ring that we could place in the wet-connect chamber to keep water sealed in and allow us to capture cleaner split shots.

Freshwaters-Illustrated-Puerto-Rico-Rive

Edited by Bumbi.dombovari, 04 October 2017 - 03:53 AM.

#22 Bumbi.dombovari

Bumbi.dombovari

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:54 AM

Freshwaters-Illustrated-Puerto-Rico-Rive

#23 Architeuthis

Architeuthis

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:Diving / Photograpy / Video / Gardening / Cooking / Handcraft

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:25 AM

Here is another review on WWL-1: https://www.bluewate...l1-review-tests

The conclusion is the opposite to the recent Wetpixel review: WWL-1 is simpler to use with MFT and FF (Sony), but image quality is better with WW-lenses plus dome ports.

Is this review nonsense?

Wolfgang

#24 Draq

Draq

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:07 AM

I would be interested in seeing what the experts have to say on this topic, but perhaps you should post it in the mirrorless forum also

Here is another review on WWL-1: https://www.bluewate...l1-review-tests

The conclusion is the opposite to the recent Wetpixel review: WWL-1 is simpler to use with MFT and FF (Sony), but image quality is better with WW-lenses plus dome ports.

Is this review nonsense?

Wolfgang

Edited by Draq, 04 October 2017 - 06:07 AM.

#25 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8572 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:07 AM

Hi,

Why does Nauticam only recommend Sony to WWL-1?
Why not for Nikon, for Canon?

Bumbi

I couldn't get the WWL-1 to mount close enough to my lens to use it with Nikon with 28-70mm (this was 18 months ago):

https://www.facebook...&type=3

The WACP is the solution for this failed attempt!

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D5 (Subal housing). Nikon D7200 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#26 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1096 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:57 AM

I currently use Olympus EM5-MII, NA-EM5MII, Zen DP170-N120, Nauticam 60mm Extension with Panasonic 7-14mm 4.0. Acccording to your data, shown in Alex's review, the WWL-1 with kit zoom-lens would perform better than this combination.

=> is this true in real life?

=> would the new WACP even perform better?

=> where is the rest of the data available (e.g. also center performance)?

In these combinations, the kit lens + WWL-1 is so good that I'm not sure how much benefit is left to be realized with WACP.  In my personal opinion the real life benefits are greater than we can currently show in lab tests due to limits in our testing equipment and the extreme versatility and quality across the entire zoom range that WWL-1 offers.  Further testing might change my opinion on this with some unique larger diameter lenses on m4/3, but I can recommend WWL-1 without hesitation.

I love the splits from Jeremy and David, and really like the drama in the thick and flowing water lines that splits with small domes create.  They have a very different look, and that may not always be desirable, but appreciate the uniqueness and challenge to capture.  The o-rign sourcing for WWL-1 was actually driven by a request from Eric Cheng using RX100 for high frame rates i the Bahamas, and I think the first o-ring that worked was a YS-250 strobe battery compartment o-ring.

Here is another review on WWL-1: https://www.bluewate...l1-review-tests

In my own experience this style of testing makes it really hard to get consistent, controlled results.  In my tests WWL-1 + 28mm was a bit narrower than the Sony 28mm + Fisheye Conv combo.  WWL-1 had soft corners, but they affected much less of the frame.  This isn't a completely fair test, the Sony fisheye behind a dome was wider, but given the choice between the two I would take WWL-1.

There are situations where a full frame fisheye lens (like Sigma 15mm or Canon 8-15) and a metabones adapter will be more appropriate than the WWL-1 combo because of its wider fov with great overall image quality.

Attached Images

• Fullscreen_10_5_15__8_46_AM copy.jpg

Edited by Ryan, 04 October 2017 - 06:58 AM.

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#27 Architeuthis

Architeuthis

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:Diving / Photograpy / Video / Gardening / Cooking / Handcraft

Posted 04 October 2017 - 11:22 PM

Thank you, Ryan for sharing...

A question: I have the 12-40mm 2.8 Zuiko Pro lens. Would the WWL-1 (or WACP) give better results with this lens, compared to the standard zoom lenses, or does it perform worse?

Wolfgang

#28 Bumbi.dombovari

Bumbi.dombovari

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 12:51 AM

Hi there,

Do you have any experience with Sony FF/28-70 with WWL-1?

Or we have to wait for WACP.

Ryan?

Thanks

Bumbi

#29 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8572 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:40 AM

Do you have any experience with Sony FF/28-70 with WWL-1?

Or we have to wait for WACP.

I am not really involved in the Sony mirrorless community, but I am sure lots of people have shot that. I have seen Cheungy Diver shooting the WWL-1 and 28mm back in 2015.

Alex

Nikon D5 (Subal housing). Nikon D7200 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#30 Kogia

Kogia

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:07 PM

Ryan -

The chart to which you linked in your Sep. 30 message is dated June. Have you tested more lenses since then? Can you post an updated chart?

I understand that you are only testing lenses from 28mm because wider lenses will vignette with the WACP. However, as previously noted, Nikon has discontinued its 28-70mm lenses and replaced them with 24-70mm lenses which offer significant optical and other improvements. A more modern lens would be an advantage for use outside the housing. The fact that it would vignette at its widest setting would pose no obstacle to using it behind the WACP within the 28-70mm range (or even using it wider in situations where losing the corners would not be a problem). Could we have some tests with a lens that is actually currently available? Would also love to see a test of the Sony 28mm f2.8 on a Sony FF behind the WACP. Mahalo.

#31 Kogia

Kogia

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 10:52 AM

Ryan -

It would also be very helpful if you could specify the maximum lens diameter that can be effectively used within the WACP, perhaps using front filter thread size as a proxy, since this is more widely reported on lenses than the actual diameter. The excellent review by Alex and Jason failed to specify if they were using the Nikon 28-70mm f2.8, which has a 77mm filter thread, same as one of Nikon's current 24-70mm f2.8 lenses) or the Nikon 28-70mm f3.5-4.5, which has a filter thread of only 52mm. Some more clarity with regards to the exact limit on the size of lens that could be used would go a long way toward helping us envision the range of lenses that could potentially be used. Thanks. Very excited about the potential of this new tool, and grateful for the R&D effort that Nauticam has put into this.

#32 errbrr

errbrr

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 01:04 PM

Looking at the Canon lenses I already own, I'm guessing I need to go shopping. The 14mm is obviously out as being too wide. I have a Canon kit lens 24-105 f4 that I used once underwater and never again - is that likely to be too big for the WACP at 664g? Would the Canon 24-70 be a better choice?

What characteristics are most important for a lens behind the WACP? 

1. >28mm

2. Minimum focus to less than ??cm in air

3. Physical size of less than ??kg or less than ??cm long/wide

If Nauticam would like some Canon field testing done I'd be more than happy to help out  :)

#33 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8572 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:47 AM

Ryan -

It would also be very helpful if you could specify the maximum lens diameter that can be effectively used within the WACP, perhaps using front filter thread size as a proxy, since this is more widely reported on lenses than the actual diameter. The excellent review by Alex and Jason failed to specify if they were using the Nikon 28-70mm f2.8, which has a 77mm filter thread, same as one of Nikon's current 24-70mm f2.8 lenses) or the Nikon 28-70mm f3.5-4.5, which has a filter thread of only 52mm. Some more clarity with regards to the exact limit on the size of lens that could be used would go a long way toward helping us envision the range of lenses that could potentially be used. Thanks. Very excited about the potential of this new tool, and grateful for the R&D effort that Nauticam has put into this.

Physically smaller diameter lenses are definitely better with corrector ports, which tends to mean using older lenses. The large front elements of the latest generation of lenses would require huge corrector ports to work as well as the older lenses. And as Ryan says these would just be too heavy and too expensive - importantly with very little improvement in image quality - remember it is the port that the bottleneck on image quality, not the lens. 

The lenses I tried behind the WACP have been Nikon 28mm f/2.8, Nikon 28-70mm f/3.5-f/4.5 and Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8-f/2.8. I know that Jason Isley also used the Nikon 28mm f/1.8. 

I don't own the Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8-f/2.8 and considered buying one second hand. But speaking with Edward at Nauticam he thought that it might not offer any advantage over the f/3.5-f/4.5 with the WACP - which is actually a sharp lens, despite being small and slow. I will try it one day.

I tried the Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8-f/2.8 with an earlier prototype of the WACP and also send my lens to China for Nauticam to test in the lab with the production WACP. But for luggage allowance reasons I haven't retested in the field.

I would like to try more lenses - but the focus thus far has been evaluating the WACP - and it was sensible to all be using the same lenses to do that, rather than introducing another variable. For me the best lens was the 28-70mm f/3.5-f/4.5. 

So far the emphasis has been testing the WACP philosophy and I am sure that in the coming months as more people have a chance to shoot it - we will get better information on the best lenses to use. 

Alex

#34 MJvC

MJvC

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:24 AM

Has any one tried the WACP with a Red Weapon and a 17-55mm or any other DX Kit lenses. Very interested in this for video work in the 6K-8K range i.e. 1,3x - 1,6x crop.