• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hyp

hyp

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 10:36 AM

After a successful trip to Lembeh I'm looking to expand my options with regards to shaping light. I am currently using an EM5mk1 with Panasonic-Leica 45mm macro and two YS-02 strobes. I also used a Weefine Smart Focus 2300 as a focus light but that was borrowed and I will have to replace it with a more permanent solution soon.

I cannot imagine being able to adjust my strobe position with a snoot on without any kind of aiming light so the first question is: Is there a snoot for the YS-02 that features some kind of laser pointer?

While in Lembeh, another Photographer got pretty good results using just two video lights. Both were fitted with some kind of snoot system that allowed different sizes. Does anyone know any good light/snoot combinations that would work for this purpose and could also double as a focus light (red light, strobe off function)?

#2 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 05:39 PM

The laser pointer was discussed before here:  http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=63352&hl= 

general concensus is that it doesn't work that well. 

On issue with focus lights is that you probably don't want them too bright as some creatures won't like it and decide to leave, I've found a basic INON dive torch works well as a focus light and uses the same AA batteries as my strobes. it's only 350 lumens but is bright enough for AF to work well, but it's obviously no where near bright enough for imaging.  If you are using lights rather than strobes getting one with a strobe mode might be worthwhile like this one:  http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/kraken-hydra-2500-macro-light-review you can connect fibre optics and trigger it to burst mode of 4000 lumens, but you would probably have to make your own snoots??  I haven't used it but sounds like a potential solution.

#3 hyp

hyp

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 01:28 AM

The Kraken is similar to the Weefine SF2300 that I've used. Weefine also builds one that has a strobe mode. They look very similar, so I believe they might actually be the same manufacturer, as no one sells the Kraken Brand in Europe, but Weefine seems to be everywhere. Maybe making my own snoot will be the best option. I've no problems with 3D Printing design, but if anyone has any pointers as to what is important for a good snoot design, I would be glad.