• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tlgerdes

tlgerdes

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 11:50 AM

Budget is tight. Pros and cons. To work with a Canon M5 with kit 15-45. Housing will be ikelite. Mixture of wide to macro and most things in between.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

#2 hyp

hyp

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 10:50 PM

I would go with the single better Strobe. Your lens is not that wide and I recently moved to two strobes and it is significantly more difficult to handle. I also went with the cheaper ys-02 and I am already wishing for more power. I would look at the new Z330 or Retra if I were you though.

#3 Fofo

Fofo

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 11:20 PM

I agree. I got two YS-01s, and they are OK, but now it's more of a challenge to upgrade both of them, so in your case I would go with a single YS-D2 for now, and when the time comes, get a second one.

#4 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2225 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 05 November 2018 - 12:31 AM

Budget is tight. Pros and cons. To work with a Canon M5 with kit 15-45. Housing will be ikelite. Mixture of wide to macro and most things in between.

Hi!

If your budget is tight, I'd suggest going with one strobe and getting a good one.

Although perhaps offering less flexibility, it isn't that hard to produce really top quality images using just one strobe - it just requires a slightly different technique and thought process. I've never been totally convinced that using two strobes for, say the Big Wide Angle Shot, generally produces the results you want. Much better, I reckon, to concentrate the light on to one element of the reef close to the camera and you can do this with one strobe just as well as two. You just have to concentrate on a possibly tighter area.

Macro is fine with one strobe.

Save your cash, get a really good strobe and then perfect that technique. Then, when you have the cash, add a second, paired strobe.

Sorry, I can't judge between the two you suggest as I've not used either - but I would suggest you have a look at the highly regarded Inon Z240 - now discontinued but can be found on WP Classifieds, or its successor the Z330 or the Retra. All highly regarded with lots of growth potential.

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#5 trimix125

trimix125

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 12:38 PM

Hi,
what camera / housing combination will you use?
Which way to trigger? Inernal strobe or led trigger?
If second, get a Inon D2000 or Z240 type 4. If not available tye 3 or 2.
The S&S strobes need a lot of input to ingnite ...
I had / have all except the YS-01, and had lots of trouble to bring the S&S to work with led trigger.
You will have to buy the best / most expensive fibre cables, the positioning of the leds will need a lot of fine tuneing....
I can remember how frustrating it was to be real deep for purple gorgonies in the mediterian sea, and then the strobes are not fireing, even then the did at surface.....

And i agree with Tim,
better one good, than 2 weak....

Regards,
Wolfgang

#6 tlgerdes

tlgerdes

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 01:56 AM

Thanks guys. This is the sort of advice that is gold.

Wolfgang, it will be an ikelite housing, and using internal flash optical trigger on camera (at least to start).

I'm leaning towards the z330 now.
Thanks guys. This is the sort of advice that is gold.

Wolfgang, it will be an ikelite housing with a Canon m5, and using internal flash optical trigger on camera (at least to start).

I'm leaning towards the z330 now.

#7 trimix125

trimix125

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 11:59 AM

Hi,
optical the Inons are easy. Much better than the S&S strobes...
Other option is the Ikelite internal ittl...
So buying an Ikelite D125 or D160 is another option....
These strobes are fast and powerfull. If you think about video, maybe the D161 is an option...

Regards,
Wolfgang

#8 Ahm.86

Ahm.86

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 02:10 AM

Hi

I will recommend to you get good strobe at the beginning if your budget is tight , after that you can take another one.

#9 phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 04:50 PM

Better strobe, dual if possible.   If you can only do one strobe, fine, learn how to light with just one strobe.   Get the YS-D2, and save up for the second one.

What about a pair of used YS-D1's?   I have the D1's, and the only thing I see on the D2 I'd really like to have is the battery separators to make it easier to load batteries on a rocking boat.   I fire mine via fiber cable from a pop-up flash on my camera.   I've had them working well in both TTL and manual modes.

#10 tlgerdes

tlgerdes

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 07:01 PM

Thanks for the ideas guys. I ended up finding a used pair of D1s with arms and FO cables for the price of a new D2.