Photo
- - - - -

Considering upgrade from D300s to D7200 or D810?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mugdiver

mugdiver

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 03:55 AM

Hi all!

I've been shooting with a D300s and Seacam housing for a few years. I recently bought 2 INON Z240 strobes to replace my SB800 strobe but find it difficult to adapt to manual flash and the seacam housing won't allow 2 strobes to run TTL (only one, and it cannot take fiber optical cable). 

Now, I'm looking at changing configuration in order to shoot TTL and why not, an upgrade to the D300s? 

I've a lot of good things about the D810 but it remains a costly upgrade...

I've been offered to look at the D7200. 

Is there a huge difference between the two above options? 

Is the D7200 considerably better than the D300s?

Thank you for your advice!

#2 trimix125

trimix125

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 10:24 AM

Hi,
have D300 and OLY OMD5 under water, a D7100 only above water, 
but its much faster in focusing...
and low light!!! And can make video....
Think about upgrading from D300 to a D500 setup.

Lenses keep the same, but still a lot of money ;-))

Regards,
Wolfgang

#3 TimG

TimG

Giant Squid

• 1730 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club

Posted 01 June 2016 - 12:25 PM

Hi

Some thoughts:

Sorry, I don't know much about the D7200 but yeah, upgrading to an (FX) D810 does not come cheap. Although you may well be able to use any macro lenses you have for your D300S with a D810, you would probably need a new wide angle lens: perhaps the Sigma 15mm or the Nikkor 16-35. Housing the 16-35 is an expensive business as, by my experience, it needs a 230mm domeport. You should be able to get away with a 190mm domeport with the Sigma.

I moved from a D300 to a D800 and was blown away by the leap in quality: really sharp, tremendous "blues", very good focussing. I am really pleased with the results. So I'm sure a D810 would give you a significant boost in potential - but at a price.

I don't know what your budget might be, but as Wolfgang suggests, it might be worth looking at or considering a Nikon D500. New technology, sounds good (the guts of a D5 at half the price) and still DX so you probably won't need to change lenses. I think the D500 would be the direction I'd be looking if I hadn't invested in FX equipment already.

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D800, Nikkors 105mm and 16-35mm, Sigma 15mmFE - Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#4 Roger-Botting

Roger-Botting

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 08:13 AM

A cheap upgrade might be to put a Nikon D700 into your housing. You will notice the image quality improvement and and spend the difference on another lens.

#5 garyyoss

garyyoss

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 08:39 AM

Why don't you consider the D500?

I upgraded from a D300 to the D800 when it first came out.

You don't mention what lenses you are currently using. I do miss my Tokina 10-17mm even though I've been using a Sigma 15mm and Nikon 16-35mm.

From everything I've read the D500 looks to be a winner.

JMHO

Nikon D800, Sea and Sea MDX-D800, Inon Z-240's, Nikkor 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Nikkor 60mm, Sigma 15mm, ULCS Hardware

Canon S95, Fix housing and w/a dome, Inon Z-240's, Nauticam Hardware

#6 mmainardi

mmainardi

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 11:48 AM

Hi!,

I am in the same upgrade process but from a D7000.

I was between the FX D750 or the D7200, and then came the D500 and included it as a third option, mostly when I came to the conclusion (after reading a lot  of articles and debates in this forum) that in my case is better to stay with DX and continue to take advantage of combination of small domes and tokina 10-17 versatility, deep of field and increased range for macro, that cropped sensor gives.

I do uwphoto since many years and use to publish my work in magazines, always as a hobby (because my income is not related with uwphoto or diving). Because of that my diving is limited to one or two dive trips a year (unfortunatly).

According to this (and to my budget), money is an important factor in my photo decissions and  D750 and D500 bodies double the price of the D7200. 

In terms of housing, I use Seacam and there is a significant diference in cost between the Prelude and the Silver line. For the D7200/7100 and D750, you have Prelude models, and for the D500 I asume that will be a Silver housing.

This means that altought the difference with the 750 will be just the price of the body, in the case of the D500, the combo housing-camera will be about 3 times more than the D7200 option.

On the other hand, if you need a second body as a back up, you can get two 7200 for the cost of one D750 or D500, beside the fact that you can also use a D7100 as a back up for less money!

So the following question is: The quality of the images I can get with these systems justifies (insist, in my case) the bigger investment?

I have no doubts that the D500 is a better camera than the D7200, and also that the D750 could perform better in terms of image quality because it has a full frame sensor.

But after reading many reviews of cameras and DX-FX discussions, most of them here in wetpixel, I couldn't arrive to the absolute conclusion that the quality of the pictures I can get with a D7200 will be clearly inferior than the ones I can obtain with a D750 or even with the new D500.

In fact, something I read in posts and reviews by recognized photographers is that many of the major advantages that those cameras certainly have above the D7200, are more In the paper than in the real world of the common photographer, and therefore will not have a conclusive impact, at least in the kind of underwater photography I can do.

Regards!

Martin

#7 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 03 June 2016 - 01:06 PM

Why don't you consider the D500?

From everything I've read the D500 looks to be a winner.

JMHO

I agree - we just need to see the housings. As well, wait for any "issues" to get sorted out.

Edited by Tom_Kline, 03 June 2016 - 01:08 PM.

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Housed digital cameras: Canon EOS-1Ds MkII, EOS-1Ds MkIII, and EOS-1D_X; and Nikon D1X, D2X, and D2H. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.

http://www.salmonography.com/

#8 mugdiver

mugdiver

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 02:01 AM

Thank you all for your feedback! Although I enjoy Seacam, from a cost point of view I will move away from the brand... I have a 60mm and 10.5mm. I would rather invest in a Tokina 10-17 and have a more affordable housing. Still debating about the camera but I guess when I run the figures I should get a clear answer... I may come back to you soon :-). Enjoy the weekend!

#9 mugdiver

mugdiver

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 05:45 AM

Decision taken after a lot of research... I'll go with the D7200. It should be a nice upgrade from D300s but an affordable option still... Just need to look at the housing now ;-).

#10 mmainardi

mmainardi

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 05:47 AM

I will go for mine today!

Enviado desde mi SM-G900M mediante Tapatalk

#11 gohypum

gohypum

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:29 PM

Following are the instructions from Nikon d300 Manual to upgrade the firmware of d300 to new level:

Select Firmware version in the SETUP MENU and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the firmware update. Once the update is complete, turn the camera off and remove the memory card. Confirm that the firmware has been updated to the new version.