13 replies to this topic

#1 Misterflo

Misterflo

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:13 PM

Hi all,

I bought about a month ago a Sea&Sea YS-D2 strobe to give of punch to my Olympus TG4 camera. It used to work fine until recently.

For some reason it seems that the strobe and the camera aren't sync anymore... when I take pictures on DS-TTL or Manual they are either completely dark/black, if I switch to Manual with pre-flash they are the opposite: completely white/super overexposed. Please note the strobe fires.

I checked already and I am not on "Slave TTL" (dark blue light) but on DS-TTL (light blue light). I also reset my camera to factory default settings at least 10 times.

When I try the camera alone it works fine, and when I connect it to another strobe it works (I tried with a INON set 240).

I tried to connect the YS-D2 to another camera (a SONY), and when set on DS-TTL or Manual the same problem occurs, nevertheless when set on Manual with pre-flash it works.

I already did some research online and ask a few people but sadly nothing worked, so that a bit a cry for help :)

I am staying in a very remote location so any suggestions will be more than welcome :) (i don't want to go to Singapore just to get it checked ...).

Has anyone seen/heard about something like this before ?

#2 Pavel Kolpakov

Pavel Kolpakov

Lionfish

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Underwater photo

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:19 AM

YS-D2 has significantly low sensitivity of optical input, than other strobes. It requires multicore fiber cable with small losses + strong light emittance from source. 

Try to flash from your camera directly to YS-D2 optical input, without any cable. Does the strobe work properly? If yes, than the cable is a reason. Sometimes fiber core gets cracks and other defects. 

Also, test your complete system with another cameras, to be sure that your TG-4 flash is not a reason.

Of course, YS-D2 can has a defect in itself. But before sending to repair, better check all other potential reasons.

Edited by Pavel Kolpakov, 17 May 2017 - 05:07 AM.

#3 Skeptic14

Skeptic14

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:49 AM

What flash mode is set in the tg-4, do you have any exposure compensation set?

#4 Misterflo

Misterflo

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:17 AM

Thanks for the advice Pavel.

I tried what you suggested, I flashed directly to the YS-D2 and it fires. But I don't think this is where the issue is from...

When normally connected to the TG4 the strobe fires everytime I take a picture. The built-in flash of the TG4 triggers the YS-D2 normally. I tried different setting and get 2 different results:

- Dark pictures which show complete (or almost) absence of light > when the strobe is set on DS-TTL and the TG4 flash is set on "fill-in" . This is the option I have been using so far and it was working perfectly fine until very recently.

- Very over exposed pictures (almost completely white) > when the strobe is set on SlaveTTL and the TG4 flash is set on "SLV"

I tried the TG4 with other strobe and it works. I teied it alone with built-in flash and it works too.

I tried the YS-D2 with my phone for example and the same problem occurs .... the YS-D2 is triggered and fires but the pictures are black ...

It could be a defect form the YS-D2 but what surprises me is it has been working alright for a month and suddenly it is tripping...

#5 Misterflo

Misterflo

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:21 AM

Hi Clownfish,

The TG4 has different flash mode: Auto,fill-in, flash off, RC and SLV. I have tried all of them but it doesn't change anything.

It does have a flash compensation setting from -2 up to +2. I usually don't touch it and leave it on 0 (as it used to work fine like this in the past).

#6 Barry Field

Barry Field

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:13 AM

I have a similar issue with a D2 and new Hugyfot D500 Housing with TTL.

I Have a D1 which works perfectly, if I slave the D1 to the D2 it fires or if I use my old D7000 housing with pop up flash it fires but it wont fire off the TTL from the housing. I have this query out with Hugy as they assured me they have no issues prior to the sale of the housing and i don't want to start buying new multi-core cables if this wont solve the issue. Any input would be greatly received.

Using Tapatalk

#7 Pavel Kolpakov

Pavel Kolpakov

Lionfish

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:40 PM

I have a similar issue with a D2 and new Hugyfot D500 Housing with TTL.

I Have a D1 which works perfectly, if I slave the D1 to the D2 it fires or if I use my old D7000 housing with pop up flash it fires but it wont fire off the TTL from the housing. I have this query out with Hugy as they assured me they have no issues prior to the sale of the housing and i don't want to start buying new multi-core cables if this wont solve the issue. Any input would be greatly received.

Hello Barry,

What cable do you use for YS-D2? (manufacturer, product number).

Edited by Pavel Kolpakov, 17 May 2017 - 04:50 PM.

#8 hellhole

hellhole

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:19 PM

Check shutter speed.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

#9 Barry Field

Barry Field

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:51 PM

Hi Pavel,

I have tried a couple a 10Bar and also a Sea & Sea but I think the S&S is an older version.

Using Tapatalk

#10 Pavel Kolpakov

Pavel Kolpakov

Lionfish

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:17 AM

Hi Pavel,

I have tried a couple a 10Bar and also a Sea & Sea but I think the S&S is an older version.

Hi Barry,

Different fiber optical cables at our market have very different transmission index. User has to be very careful choosing FO cable for concrete aim.

Both your single-core cables (10Bar and old Sea&Sea cable) are acceptable only for firing via camera pop-up flash. For YS-D2 it is specially very important, because of low input sensitivity YS-D2.

For accurate TTL control via LED devices you have to use only multicore new generation cables.

I can tell you more, - each manufacturer of TTL-Converters tunes their production for concrete type FO cables. You have to use only those cables, which specified in User's Manual.

Do you have User's Manual for that TTL-Converter? There written, that device is tuned for NAUTICAM multicore cables.

Edited by Pavel Kolpakov, 18 May 2017 - 01:25 AM.

#11 Barry Field

Barry Field

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:27 AM

Thank you Pavel, Hugy have suggested sending the housing back but I think I may purchase a Sea & Sea Multicore cable first to try that.

Using Tapatalk

#12 Pavel Kolpakov

Pavel Kolpakov

Lionfish

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:33 AM

... I think I may purchase a Sea & Sea Multicore cable first to try that.

I recommend to use Nauticam FO cables, as written in Manual. That TTL-Converter is tuned specially for them.
The Sea&Sea new (613-core) cables are similar, they are also acceptable for this aim, but transmission index is little bit different, it will cause some difference in TTL control. 

Edited by Pavel Kolpakov, 18 May 2017 - 11:40 PM.

#13 Barry Field

Barry Field

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:35 AM

Just to update you Pavel the new S&S cable hasn't solved the issue. I think the housing is going back to Hugyfot to have a look. They confirmed it had been tested on Z240's with a single strand cable and had worked prior to despatch so I can only assume this is the TTL / D2 either not talking or there is not enough signal being sent to fire the flash to trigger it (have heard the D2 sensor is quite sensitive).

Using Tapatalk

#14 Pavel Kolpakov

Pavel Kolpakov

Lionfish

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:44 AM

Just to update you Pavel the new S&S cable hasn't solved the issue. I think the housing is going back to Hugyfot to have a look. They confirmed it had been tested on Z240's with a single strand cable and had worked prior to despatch so I can only assume this is the TTL / D2 either not talking or there is not enough signal being sent to fire the flash to trigger it (have heard the D2 sensor is quite sensitive).

Barry, Ok, i understood that issue was not only in the cable. Unfortunately, i don't see your complete setup other details.

I also have that model TTL-Converter, for tests.  I have just tested it again with my own YS-D2 and Nauticam FO cable. Everything works perfect, no any problem with TTL.

But i don't have Hugyfot housing to look optical bulkheads (new plastic inserts), maybe problem in them, their proper construction is important for work with low sensitive strobe YS-D2. This is also a subject for check.

Edited by Pavel Kolpakov, 19 May 2017 - 11:26 PM.