• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 skir67

skir67

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:17 AM

On my housing the view through the viewfinder is to my mind is more or less unusable. All the screen information is so small as to be unintelligible.

With a mask on I can only imagine this situation will be worse.

I've only had the housing underwater once so far and that was really just a test dive and then I used live view. I think I'll keep using live view with this housing. But, undoubtedly there are going to be disadvantages to this.

What are the disadvantages of using live view? Two that spring to mind are possibly slowing focusing and shortened battery time.

Is there any way I can improve the viewfinder view or is this normal and something you learn to live with?

I don't intend to spend any more money on this housing other than on things that can be transferred to a replacement so maybe a 45 degree viewfinder is out.

Or, are there universal viewfinders that can be easily moved from one housing to another?

Edited by skir67, 19 May 2017 - 12:18 AM.

#2 Cerianthus

Cerianthus

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:43 AM

Most 45 degree viewfinders can be adapted to different housings. My inon 45 is on my second Ikelite housing but came with a nexus mount.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Gerard

My photo's on flickr
Crop the world ! (Using Canon 70D, 60mm, 100mm, 10-17mm FE, Ikelite)

#3 skir67

skir67

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:20 PM

That's good to know. Is it normally the case that you have to get this work professionally done?

#4 eyu

eyu

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:07 PM

Changing viewfinders is housing dependent. In other words, some housing allow changing viewfinders and others do not.

In those that allow changing from the standard viewfinder to magnifying viewfinders it is usually a screw in nut, C clip or washer that holds the viewfinder in place. On some housing like Nauticam the rear window will need to be changed.  

Many housing allow a different manufactures viewfinder to be fitted with an adaptor.

In regards to using live view, the focus is slower, uses more battery, the time of shutter release is longer too.

Using your viewfinder negates the slow focus and delayed shutter release

Elmer

Nikon D800E, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS & Carbon Arms

#5 skir67

skir67

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:18 PM

Thanks, useful info. Live view is sub-optimal for sure, but my only option for the time being, so I'll have to make the best of it. I've got a second battery which will cover that on a daily basis, the other stuff I'll just have to live with.