Jump to content

- - - - -


  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FStopMiami


    Hermit Crab

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 11:26 AM

I have been doing UW for a very short time and using only natural light as I do UW portrait work and most of it in pools. I would like to add a few camera mounted/arms with strobes to my Ikelite housing and my Canon 5dmk2.   Can someone point me in the right direction for a correct model number for a Canon friendly TTL strobe? Im looking to buy used 


Thanks in advice



Attached Images

  • IMG_9488 copy.jpg
  • IMG_8682 copy.jpg

#2 Undertow


    Tiger Shark

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bermuda

Posted 30 March 2019 - 10:00 AM

That's a broad question as there are plenty of options.


However, it is common knowledge that TTL metering is virtually worthless for wide angle shooting UW. A camera's brain is not tuned to the way light works UW. People do have success with close up macro images using TTL.


Great images, but for that type of work I'd expect to use manual strobe settings.

#3 TimG


    Sperm Whale

  • Moderator
  • 2396 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Amsterdam
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, good food and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club.

Posted 30 March 2019 - 10:48 AM

Yeah, I'd agree with Chris - if you are thinking of the type of images in your post, manual is the way to go.  TTL works well with macro - but WA not so much.


If you are looking for strobes though that will do TTL, it's more a case of finding a strobe initiator and which strobes they will work best with on which camera.  I'm not so familiar with Ikelite or Canon - but don't Ikelite offer a TTL controller for their DSLR housings? And if so, what strobes does that work with?   You could have a look too at the Turtle TTL controller or an UW-Technics. See what strobes they will run from a Canon - and then see which suits you best.


You'll find a lot of the WP crew like Inon strobes - if you do a Search on Inon, Sea and Sea and Retra you'll find loads of useful info.

(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#4 ChrisRoss


    Tiger Shark

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sydney Australia

Posted 30 March 2019 - 02:12 PM

If you are in an ikelite housing they don't look they have space for a TTL trigger so you would be using sync cords more than likely which would push you in the direction of ikelite strobes.  You could do INON or Sea and Sea but believe they are manual only for sync cord connection.  You need the ikelite TTL system in your housing to work with the Ikelite strobes,  I do agree though that TTL is unlikely to work reliably underwater for wide angle, it tends to be very camera dependent.

#5 FStopMiami


    Hermit Crab

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 03:07 PM

I understand that the TTL would most likely not work underwater and the shots posted were all done with natural light. I am just looking for a few strobes that can be fired using my existing camera and housing.  Manual control will note be a problem, just trial and error