9 replies to this topic

#1 Cal

Cal

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:53 AM

Hey Crew

ok so my film is stuck in a nikonos 1. I cant figure out how to rewind the film. Apparently Nikonos 11 had a rewind nob but mine has nothing like that.

Thoughts?

Cal

:)
http://www.calmero.com.au/ - Creative Underwater Photography

#2 Gudge

Gudge

Tiger Shark

• Team Wetpixel
  • 537 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:20 AM

Apparently Nikonos 11 had a rewind nob but mine has nothing like that.

The small knob on the right hand side with the arrow on it in this picture of a Nikonos I is the rewind knob

Posted Image

I stopped using a Nikonos in 1984 and the following advice is based on Nikonos II & III but it may be helpful:
  • Set shutter speed dial on right hand side to "R" for Rewind
  • Raise rewind knob on left side of camera fully and rewind film

Here's a link to a PDF of the Nikonos II manual:

http://www.cameraman.../nikonos_ii.pdf

Edit:

I just found some more pictures of the top of a Nikonos I, it looks like there was no "R" setting on the shutter speed dial. Just try raising the rewind knob on the left of the camera before trying to rewind the film.

Edited by Gudge, 14 April 2011 - 01:35 AM.

Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7D housing, 2 x Inon Z240, 1 x Inon S2000, Tokina 10-17 & 12-24, Sigma 17-70 Macro, Tokina 35 macro, Canon 60 & 100 macro, Tamron 2X & Kenko 1.X Teleconverters.

#3 Cal

Cal

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 02:14 AM

LEGEND!

Thanks mate

#4 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:37 AM

If that does not work try this. Wait for night, go in bed room and in full dark room, disassemble camera under a blanket and crank film back into canister by hand.
Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#5 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1726 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:43 AM

I don't have a Nikonos I instruction booklet but I do have an original Calypsophot one (a rare booklet these days)! As the Nikonos I is highly based on the Calypsophot I assume that their rewind system are the same. It states:

'To rewind the film.... Pull up the rewinding knob and rewind the exposed film by turning the knob in the direction of the arrow until the movement becomes very free'

As Gudge states. Its as simple as that.
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#6 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1496 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:00 PM

:) More funny is to get a newby to try and replace either the battery or a film in these :D it will take a while before they figure out that A, you need to remove the lens to open the camera and that B, there is no battery in these steam powered apparatus.

That was the pratical joke at the service department. The early Nikonos are not your usual animal :)
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#7 Cal

Cal

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:45 PM

Just for the record, the Nikonos is unreal! I'm getting some film developed today. I love the feel of it underwater.

......plus its a chick magnet!

:)

#8 Eyematey

Eyematey

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:23 AM

Cal

I backpacked around Central and South America in the early 70's with one for a year or so. Can't say it was a "chick magnet" at that time but was a great camera to rough it with! Shocked a few folks when I stuck it under a tap or in a stream to clean it off. Take it on your trip to the states, well if you can find enough film.

Cheers, Steve

quote name='Cal' date='Apr 27 2011, 07:45 PM' post='280947']
Just for the record, the Nikonos is unreal! I'm getting some film developed today. I love the feel of it underwater.

......plus its a chick magnet!

:D
[/quote]

Edited by Eyematey, 28 April 2011 - 07:25 AM.

#9 Cal

Cal

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:23 PM

I'm thinking of taking it with me! Its a cool 'hipster' tool for getting unusual shots. I've actually got a few rolls getting developed right now and I cant wait to see them tomorrow! will post the shots!

#10 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1726 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:06 AM

I just picked up one of the 28mm LW (wet weather) lenses which looks slightly bizarre sat on a NikII! The overall size is wonderful though - and for traveling.......
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish