8 replies to this topic

#1 Fab

Fab

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 12:02 PM

One last question,..I hope!
Is there a need for me to use silica gel packages for my WP-DC70 housing??
(for the Canon SD500) If I'm not removing the camera until I'm back in my hotel room, is there a need for this??
Where would I buy this stuff anyway,..I've seen it come in shoe boxes and so on, but not sure if it's the same stuff.

Thanks.

#2 octopus

octopus

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 01:49 PM

I used my A40 and housing without silica gel and all was fine [until I flooded it, but that was sand in the O-ring I think <_< ] However, I have been putting in 'moisture munchers' with my A95. I got them at B&H photo. There are a variety of types out there, you can probably get them wherever you got your housing.

#3 Fab

Fab

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 10:22 AM

You flooded your housing!!!,..Geeze,..don't tell me that!!
I guess if I'm not opening it outside, it should be fine.
What does it do, exactly?? Remove any moisture/condensation from the inside of the housing?

#4 ladybird

ladybird

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Diving (of course) and travel

Posted 13 July 2005 - 11:32 AM

Silica gel can't hurt, just be careful as to where it ends up inside the housing. I had a friend trap it in the seal of her housing and find out that it can't soak up THAT much moisture. Her housing flooded! Oh and use the stuff you find in shoeboxes, it's free!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
><///°> * <°\\\><

#5 Fab

Fab

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 01:02 PM

It doesn't mention using silica gel packets in the manual, or on the Canon website,...for the SD500 UWhousing (underwater guide, online)
But, for the other models it mentions using the silica gel. I'm wondering if it's different for this model, since it's one of the newest point and shoot digital cameras for Canon.

This is what you get for my camera model:
http://consumer.usa....nderwater_photo

And this is what you get from some of the other models:
http://www.canon.co....to/index-e.html

#6 Arnon_Ayal

Arnon_Ayal

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 01:35 PM

Its hard to know if you'll have fogging problem in advance, for instance with the S30 I had a lot of that problem, but with the S50 that is almost identical (in the same housing) it’s really rare.
Take some silica bags with you, if the housing will start fogging put it in, if not even better.
You can help prevent the fogging by packing the camera inside the housing in relative dry place, like in a/c room.
Arnon Ayal www.arnonayal.com
Nikon D200, Ikelite housing, Dual SB105.

#7 Fab

Fab

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 01:56 PM

So, if I pack the camera in an A/C room, and go outside all day,..it shouldn't be a problem when I come back in later and take the camera out? (in the A/C room) The change from hot to cold? I guess it wouldn't matter too much because I wouldn't be using the camera in the housing, if I'm taking it out.

You know, I always have to through out those little silica gel packets all the time, and now when I need them, where are they!

#8 octopus

octopus

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 03:18 PM

Actually, if you will be in warm air and warm water, it is probably best not to assemble the housing in a cool room...you may risk getting fogging by condensation that way. But as I said I did dive with my A40 with no silica get, although the housing did come with some defogging agent to put on the lens. In any event I had no problems with it.

As to the flood I had, when I disassembled the housing afterwards it seemed there was a sand grain in the O-ring that I missed. All I can recommend is to be really careful when sealing the housing and make sure there is nothing in the way of the o-ring that will prevent sealing...and if you have a chance, give it a dunk in the bathtub, sink, or bucket and look for bubbles or signs of leaking before you take it into the salt water. In fact if you haven't done that yet, it is a good idea to check the empty housing to make sure all is OK.....

#9 critter

critter

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Photography, scubadiving, underwater photography, golf, camping.

Posted 13 July 2005 - 08:05 PM

Actually assembling the camera in an airconditioned room is ideal. Air conditioned air is going to have much less humidity in it than outside ocean hot air (that's why its cold). Once you seal the housing there will be very little chance of condensation. I always put a few silica packs in the housing and I get them from the neighboorhood pharmacist. I ask him to save me some and he gives me two huge containers with all sorts of packets in odd sizes that work well. I get so many I frequently share them with other people on dive trips.

Tony
Tony
Life is one long surface interval