• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 patriko

patriko

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 02:54 AM

Took this picture on my trip to the Red Sea (Brothers & Elphinstone) between 4-11 april this year.
This was my first try with my camera underwater so it was really exciting for me. I started seeing things from a different point of view when I took the camera with me during the dive. Now I wouldn't go into the water without it :)

Posted Image

Nikon CP 5k w WA converter, Ike housing and Ike DS125
Image is cropped and has had levels adjusted in PS.

For more pictures, please visit my album from the trip (more images will come up as they are finnished):
Red Sea Spring 2003

#2 bobjarman

bobjarman

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 05:10 AM

You did a very nice job for your frist time.....a heck of a lot better than the crap I took. :)

Compositionally, you should try to avoid shooting down into the sand. Almost all wildlife shots, land or sea are better when taken at eye-level with you subject.

The lighting looks like it was either a tad too far away or maybe aimed a bit in front of the subject. But you got the eye highlighted well and thats what makes the image. the slight blue cast in the image is due to not quite enough power in the strobe for the distance you shot at.

Finally, if it were me I would focus more of the image on the fish and crop off some of the left side and maybe a tad on the bottom. The reef isnt that pretty in this shot and you would move your main focus points (the eye) off from the center of the image.

Most of those points are nits, and maybe even personal preference. Excellent job for your first time out! Congrats.