Photo
- - - - -

Removing the flash thingy from a NA-E-M5 housing?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:05 AM

The Nauticam OM-D E-M5 housing has a clever plastic thingy that makes sure that you don't install the camera in the housing without popping up the flash.

I would like to put some custom stuff in the hot shoe and need to remove that piece of plastic.

Do you see any issues with removing that part and put it back later should I like?  It seems to be fasted with two small hex screws from the inside. The screws are fixed with loctite. 

I expect these to easily come of and not cause any other issues if I remove them and the plastic part.

Am I right or am I missing something?

Cheers
/O

#2 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:38 AM

This is a question I would be interested in finding out as well. 

I would very much like to see Nauticam make a flash trigger for the OM-D cameras like they make for Canon, Nikon, Sony (A7 line) and in a mini version for Panasonic GH-4 and Fujifilm XT1. The flash trigger is designed for use with fiber optic cables only and work in TTL for some camera brands and in manual flash power settings for other brands like Panasonic.

I use manual flash settings exclusively and I am sure many other OM-D users do the same based on the numbers of comments on this and other forms regarding the use of the OM-D's 1/64th power setting to conserve the camera's  battery power. The Nauticam flash triggers are powered by a small flat user replaceable battery which lasts for quite some time because of the very low power draw required to trigger the small LCD lights. With external strobes like the Inon Z-240's set to low power settings you have the ability to shoot at several frames a second with proper strobe batteries. These flash triggers are very useful tools and conserve the cameras battery power which is one of the down sides to the Olympus OM-D line of cameras.  

All of the Nauticam flash triggers retail for $220.00 in the US. The price would be worth it to me for the additional creative ability of shooting at 6 to 10 frames per second and for the ability to squeeze several more shots out of the Olympus camera battery.

Did not mean to side track your thread oskar but would be interested to know if any other OM-D users would be buyers for a Nauticam flash trigger.

#3 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:40 AM

No worries Phil, My plan is to use my own DIY mini strobe. Just like you I use 1/64th and care little about TTL.

How would the other nauticam flash triggers work in the OMD housing? The manual version should work straight off the shelf except for that the light needs to be aligned with the fibre ports.

For myself I am guessing there are no caveats like excessive glue or sealing screws with this thingy

Cheers

#4 Yako

Yako

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:44 PM

I'm interested on a Nauticam mini strobe.

When Nauticam presented mini strobe for Panasonic last summer, I sent an email to Nauticam, asking the same for EM1, but the answer was:

Dear Jose,

Thank you for the enquiries and interest in our product.

We have no such plan to support the flash trigger for NA-EM1 so far. For the most updated information, please keep tune withwww.nauticam.com.

Perhaps They could change theirs plans...

Other idea to save camera battery is to change the internalflash capacitor by other with less power (from 100mF  to 5mF)  

I did it in a unit that I bought on eBay, and It's works...

Olympus OMD E-M1, Naticam housing, 2x S&S D1, Oly 60mm , 12-50mm & 12-40mm, Pana 8mm & 7-14mm

My Flickr Gallery

#5 bvanant

bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1886 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:44 PM

I have successfully removed the plastic gizmo and successfully used the Hedwig LED solution. Works great.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#6 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:28 AM

I have successfully removed the plastic gizmo and successfully used the Hedwig LED solution. Works great.
Bill

Great, only those two hex screws and it came of easily without too much violence?

I think a product like this flash trigger must competitive priced, especially as a non TTL version really is simple. Also it does not have to be housing manufacturer specific. Maybe that put Nauticam off. A pity though, it would have been simple to provide with each new housing or as an add on.

/O

Cheers
Oskar

#7 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:41 AM

The Nauticam flash trigger is an add-on for quite a few camera makers and started off being made for high-end cameras like Canon EOS 1D and Nikon D4 that don't come with pop-up flashes. It allowed those cameras to be used with fiber optics when in the past bulkhead wiring was the only real choice.

While I have no issue with the Hedwig system which I have never used I think you will see the clear difference between the two and it would be nice to have the choice at both price points of around $90.00US and $220.00US. 

Attached Images

• post-11074-1325954244.jpg
  • 01_rh13-ak.jpg

#8 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:52 PM

Yes there is always an added value with convenience that it. is already fitted and guanteed to work in that housing. Does the Nauticam versions all have the same standard casing but varied hot shoe holder height?

#9 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 12:23 PM

Look here and you will get a better idea of what Nauticam has to offer, http://reefphoto.com...sort=3d&page=13

#10 hezishohat

hezishohat

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 07:08 AM

Hi Phil, You right.

But Nauticam will not make the trigger for the NA-EM5 or in my case, NA-EM1

So it is not an option for us.

I hope I will get one of the Hedwig LED solution, don't know where to buy.

------------------------------------------

Divers Do It Deeper

#11 FanchGadjo

FanchGadjo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 07:34 AM

You can contact Hedwig directly : http://www.owfotograaf.be/

#12 hezishohat

hezishohat

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:36 AM

Thanks

------------------------------------------

Divers Do It Deeper

#13 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 03:36 AM

I just add that the plastic flash thingy comes off easily with the two hex screws using the housing toolkit. I used two red laser modules for the flash. The good thing is there's plenty of intensity, the drawback is that the alignment is critical so I had to align really carefully before gluing them in position.

Cheers/O

Edited by oskar, 10 March 2015 - 03:37 AM.

#14 Yako

Yako

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:43 AM

I just add that the plastic flash thingy comes off easily with the two hex screws using the housing toolkit. I used two red laser modules for the flash. The good thing is there's plenty of intensity, the drawback is that the alignment is critical so I had to align really carefully before gluing them in position.

Cheers/O

Cuold you put an image of your DIY flash?  Sounds good...

Olympus OMD E-M1, Naticam housing, 2x S&S D1, Oly 60mm , 12-50mm & 12-40mm, Pana 8mm & 7-14mm

My Flickr Gallery