Render times

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jules (Helioxfilm)

Jules (Helioxfilm)

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Interests:UW videography, tec diving<br />literature (novels)<br />diplomacy

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:24 AM

No comment :P Rendering a rather complex Motion sequence to DV-PAL.... Its lenght is 1 min 30 sec...

Picture_1.jpg

Edited by Jules (Helioxfilm), 18 March 2008 - 07:25 AM.

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10705 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 08:36 AM

Well seems you are screaming for an octo-core Gyula. Either that or you have really added too many filters to Motion :P

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 Jules (Helioxfilm)

Jules (Helioxfilm)

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Interests:UW videography, tec diving<br />literature (novels)<br />diplomacy

Posted 18 March 2008 - 09:21 AM

Well seems you are screaming for an octo-core Gyula. Either that or you have really added too many filters to Motion ;)

Hah, I have just created a nice, 22000 pixel long 3D corridor with 3 video walls (with replicators), animate a camera with two attached spot-lights during the long corridor, and what made this terrible render time was: a 22000 pixel long snow particle system in 3D space... ;) This is my Ships-DVD's main menu intro... However, now the window sais: 6 hours passed, 8 hours to go... :D

What makes me angry, Motion use only 100% processor power from 400%... Why? I searched the net, and found similar complains in the CreativeCow or in a Barefeats test... Apple designed the Mac Pro and the Motion. Why did not optimized them to work together?

Picture_2.jpg
Picture_3.jpg

Edited by Jules (Helioxfilm), 18 March 2008 - 09:22 AM.

#4 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2859 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:05 AM

What makes me angry, Motion use only 100% processor power from 400%... Why? I searched the net, and found similar complains in the CreativeCow or in a Barefeats test... Apple designed the Mac Pro and the Motion.

Hopefully Apple will take care of some of the issues between Leopard, the new machines and Final Cut Studio. I love the new set-up but it does have some hiccups and things to improve. Not sure how much re-writing of code is needed to get the Apps able to hit all the Cores and some of the clustering does leave something to be desired also.

#5 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10705 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:41 AM

The problem with Motion is a lot of the number crunching is done on the GPU. And apple has yet to release proper drivers for ATI and Nvidia for the cross from Active X to Open GL.
Another issue is that Color uses all cores.... sequentially!!! I think Motion probably does that too but I'm too lazy to check. AE is my baby for compositing.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#6 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2845 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:37 PM

Drew, for AE take a look at Nucleo Pro 2, it really helps render times and offers background renders and a bunch more. Apple is always slow to fix things. I still won't install Leopard in my Mac Pro tho I have it in my Mac Book with no issues as yet. There are also problems reported concerning the 1900 video card and Leopard which Apple is aware of but no fixes as yet.
Steve B)

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.