• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Basil

Basil

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 06:31 AM

So Panasonic released an update today of the LX100, the new LX100II.  The updates seem modest but good from what I can tell overall - a higher resolution sensor (17MP vs 13MP) and a touchscreen on the back LCD being the primary ones.  The body of the LX100II looks to have the exact same dimensions as the LX100, from what I can tell online.  

Question:  Will the LX100II fit in my existing Nauticam NA-LX100 housing (which I LOVE)?  Will it slide right in (best case), or will the housing need a conversion kit (also good)?  Alternatively, will the LX100II require a new separate housing (in which case, I'm not that interested, as it is way too much expense)

For background, when Panasonic released the GH4 as successor to the GH3, the camera bodies were almost identical. Nauticam created a conversion kit for those who had the Nauticam GH3 housing, to allow divers to use the newer camera. Nauticam later released a separate housing for the GH4, but it was nice the option

#2 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1848 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 07:31 AM

Looking at the specs two dimensions are the same but the new camera is 9mm thicker. It may be difficult to accomplish what you suggest

Looks like the lens is the same and the sensor is the new generation one while the first version had the same sensor of the GX7

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#3 Basil

Basil

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:32 AM

I saw the dimensions, but then I kept looking at the pictures and they looked identical.  So I looked online -- Panasonic UK has the depth of the LX100II at 64.2 mm and the LX100 at 55mm (other dimensions are almost identical).

So, just to be sure, I measured the depth of my LX100.  It's about 64mm from the edge of lens (when retracted) to the back edge of EVF.  So I'm wondering - is the LX100 really 9 mm thicker?  Am I measuring incorrectly -- maybe depth is only the body, not including the lens -- but in that case the depth is more like 35mm (to the back edge of the EVF, 43mm if you add in the depth of the grip). 

I guess we will find out eventually.

#4 EvilOtter

EvilOtter

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 12:46 PM

This article from B&H suggests that the form factor is identical to the Mk1 but that there have been minor changes to the positioning of certain controls: 

https://www.bhphotov...940838E37E89DD9

Even if it fits my Ikelite housing, I do not see a compelling reason to upgrade for use as a video camera. That said, I may pick up a second Mk1 at a reduced price to have a spare on hand.

Scuba Diving Adventures in Roatán, Honduras

Please visit my YouTube channel: Fish Nerd Films

#5 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1848 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:17 PM

This article from B&H suggests that the form factor is identical to the Mk1 but that there have been minor changes to the positioning of certain controls: 

https://www.bhphotov...940838E37E89DD9

Even if it fits my Ikelite housing, I do not see a compelling reason to upgrade for use as a video camera. That said, I may pick up a second Mk1 at a reduced price to have a spare on hand.

It does look the same. I think the sensor upgrade is worthwhile as the previous one was dates and the quality just acceptable so if the housing is compatible and I had the first version I would definitely ditch it for this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#6 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 23 August 2018 - 05:18 AM

The only reason to upgrade to the LX100 M2 is the new color rendering as it's taken from GH5, and should be closer to Canon's color. Without 5-axis OIS and 60fps, it's a very minor upgrade for videographer. If the price drop to $799, and fit the existing NA-LX100 housing, it's worth to get as a spare, otherwise, wait for GH6 or BlackMagic Cinema 4K. The BlackMagic Cinema 4K is only $300 more than the LX100 M2, but offer a hell lot more features when come to video.

#7 Basil

Basil

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 06:43 AM

I agree KC. I would call this a “nice to have” upgrade, not a “must have”. If it fits into my NA-LX100 housing, I’ll do it, because it would be kind of cool to have a newer generation camera for underwater, without having to go through the expense of getting a new housing. I’m just not ready to plunk down a ton of money on a new housing anytime soon. Overall, I am very happy with the LX100, it’s compact, but very fully featured - I’ve gotten some very pleasing video underwater out of it (I don’t think that the LX100II will be significantly better on the video front), and also shot some nice stills (though I still need more practice on my underwater stills).

The new sensor is a welcome upgrade, a bit more resolution, which is nice for things like scales of a fish or other finer textures. The more attractive upgrade for me is the touchscreen. It’s irrelevant underwater, but I use my LX100 sometimes as a walk-around camera when I don’t feel like carrying my bigger mirrorless, and it was really kind of inexcusable that the original LX100 didn’t have a touchscreen. It really helps the usability of a small camera like that. The other attractive upgrade is the improved JPEG engine that you note, from the G9 and GX9. The LX100’s JPEGs are kind of crappy, but the raw files are fine, and I can really do a lot with them in Lightroom. Generally, I usually shoot raw + JPEG, but my other camera (Fuji X-H1) has some really nice JPEG profiles that I just can’t improve on (processing raw images in Lightroom). Having nice JPEGs built-in could really save some time.

#8 Basil

Basil

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 05:58 AM

Update:  I got word this morning from Nauticam that they are releasing conversion kit to allow the NAU-LX100 to work with the LX-100II.  It is a small piece, which, from what I can tell from the drawing they sent, either adjusts the button to press one of the top function buttons on the camera, or it adjust the on-off switch.  Either way, it is a relatively minor part needed to convert the LX100 housing to an LX100II housing.

Edited by Basil, 06 September 2018 - 05:59 AM.

#9 Basil

Basil

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 08:01 AM

I just ordered the "Conversion Kit for the NA-LX100 housing to use the LX100 II camera." I haven't decided on whether I am upgrading to the LX100 II, staying with the original LX100, or going to "something else", but for $30 (cost of the kit), I thought it would be good option to have.  I'm not in a rush to make a decision.

-Basil

Edited by Basil, 18 October 2018 - 08:01 AM.

#10 watertoo

watertoo

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 12:42 AM

I have received conversion kit. It mainly changes the zoom in/out lever including its o-ring. 

The zoom lever of LX100m2 is bigger than m1.

Edited by watertoo, 30 October 2018 - 12:42 AM.

#11 Basil

Basil

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 07:19 AM

I got my conversion kit too.  I wish they would have sent an instruction sheet to figure out how to install it (I think I will manage to figure it out).  I haven't decided yet on whether or not I am getting the LX100 II, or going to "something else", so I will just hang on for a bit.  I am leaving this weekend for a week of playing with sea lions underwater in Mexico, and I think I will be just fine with my original LX100