23 replies to this topic

#21 Jenny

Jenny

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Diving, underwater photography

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:45 PM

Woo hoo, the legislation passed through our fractious parliament yesterday. Thanks all for contributing!

#22 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:44 AM

Woo hoo, the legislation passed through our fractious parliament yesterday. Thanks all for contributing!

This is great news! Was getting worried it would stay bogged down or blocked in parliament. Great to see people from many different
interest groups united in agreeing the super trawler was bad for all.

Cheers,
Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#23 gee13

gee13

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:13 AM

A small win of course, however where is the trawler going to target next? What govt may be in a worse off financial situation and weaker to accept the proceeds...I fear the saga is not over...

There should be an international ban on such destruction machines

Edited by gee13, 16 September 2012 - 07:17 AM.

#24 DamonA

DamonA

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Scuba, Skin Diving, "Animal Lover" and Woodworking, Licensed Professional Joiner & Carpenter.
    Don't like contact sport at all or elite level professional sport.

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:23 PM

A small win of course, however where is the trawler going to target next? What govt may be in a worse off financial situation and weaker to accept the proceeds...I fear the saga is not over...

There should be an international ban on such destruction machines

Really, I believe a vessel shouldn't be allowed in waters other then their own territory.

And governemnts should put political pressure on oil companies that supply vessels that operate out of their own waters!

I know we are in a lucky situation here in Australia, our borders aren't in territorial conflict with other countries (we gained sea area when timor split).

Also our government is more likely to bow to popularous issues like this one (amatuer fishermen had a lot of impact here on this issue). Liberal or Labour'

We can be that country; that shows the others up for lack of wise management/corrupt behaviours.

Imagine being in a EU country??? how depressing would that be! 51% youth unemployment and 25% unemployment for over 25's in Spain.....there's a good chance the corruption there will hit the wall soon, even revolution maybe. see what happens it's far from over yet.