• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 Gianluke

Gianluke

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 03:39 AM

Ok thanks Phil. I will try to have a good price about Athena from Yuzo in japan.

I can have from Japan Athena 14-42 domeport + zoom gear OLYMPUS PPZR-E06 for 445 euros (custom tax and shipping included) and Olympus PPO-E05 (included zoom gear) in Europe for 290 euro (shipping included). There is 155 euros difference. Do I buy Athena?

Edited by Gianluke, 05 June 2009 - 03:41 AM.

#42 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1268 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 06:38 AM

Again Glanluke,

This is a tradeoff of image quality v. cost and I can't make that call for you.

I have attached my E410/PT-E03 review. The 14-42 images for this review were taken with the Olympus port. You can be the judge of the quality of these images.

http://wetpixel.com/...rwater-housing/

Phil Rudin

http://www.sfups.org...udin/index.html

#43 Gianluke

Gianluke

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:04 AM

How much does flat port reduce wide angle? In dome port 14mm is 28 mm in 135 format. In flat port PPO-E05?

#44 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1268 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 10:52 AM

25% refractive magnification with a flat port, so reduce your AOV by about 25 %.

#45 Gianluke

Gianluke

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 11:03 AM

25% refractive magnification with a flat port, so reduce your AOV by about 25 %.

Ah I didn't think so much...28mm becomes 35mm

#46 Gianluke

Gianluke

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:41 AM

Today housing PT-E03 is arrived. It is quite small and very light. Finally I decided to buy Athena OPD-SZ 14-42 domeport so to keep 28mm wide. I had a good price in Japan.

Thanks for all Phil.

#47 vinny

vinny

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:diving and more diving

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:47 AM

check out the classified section if anybody is interested in some olympus gear/ports
vinny

#48 globalmark

globalmark

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 09:25 PM

Hi all

I have just bought a Olympus E620 (14-42) and (40-150) lens Kit.
I want to get this up and running Underwater , however my first DSLR using underwater , I know I need the Housing PT-E06 , however love to know what advice I need on the rest of my stuff , I need 1 more strobe ( I have 1 older sea-sea YS25 Optical fiber that I used for my olympus c-765 and housing) and a port ??
Any suggestions about what I need is appriciated , I want to just get started at the moment so I am not going to buy any more lenses for a While but would like to get the right port for when I buy Future lenses .
I read this forum and seems Athena dome ports could be good or the Olympus flat port ?? which Strobe ?? handles ?? Arms ??
is the 40-150 lens at all useful underwater ?? or only the 14-42 I can use ??

Thanks all
mark

#49 michrist

michrist

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, topside photography, wrecks, fish, kayaking, most sports

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:34 AM

Hi Mark

I also just purchased the e620 and a pt-e06 housing. I already owned ports, lenses and a flash for a e410 setup (the poor e410 itself had gotten wet). On the e410 I also began with the 14-42 lens behind an Athena dome port. But I soon found that in the dark and murky waters of my country this lens just had too much trouble focusing, so I went on to acquire the 50mm macro and the 14-54 zoom lenses. Both of these lenses works allright using an Olympus flat port, and they focus much better than the 14-42. In clear tropical waters I find 14-42 and Athena setup works well enough.

I haven't considered using the 40-150 mm underwater. Can't really imagine why I'd want to.

I have been using a single Inon D2000 flash with a Fisheye tray and flexarms - and have been quite content with this (but two flashes on an Athena AT grip would be much better).

I think you'll be very happy with the e620 - it's a great camera, and the pt-e06 housing is far superior to the old pt-e03 imho

Michael

#50 globalmark

globalmark

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:52 PM

Hi Michael

Thanks for the Info , I would in the future buy the 50mm Macro - so this also works behind the same port as the 14-42 ??
also what advantages has the 14-54 have over the 14-42 both are 14mm - then 42 to 54 is not really much difference especially if you have a 50mm also (sorry for my Ignorance -but i am new to Digital SLR's)
Also what other lenses fit behind the Athena Dome port ??

Most of the diving I do is in Clearish waters ( Australia/Maldives/etc)

Thanks again
mark

#51 michrist

michrist

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, topside photography, wrecks, fish, kayaking, most sports

Posted 17 June 2009 - 02:41 AM

Hi Mark

Yes both the 50mm macro and the 35mm macro works fine behind the Athena Dome port - but as it is a dome port you 'loose' the normal 25% magnification. This is an advantage when shooting wide angle, but not so good for macro. So in my opinion, if you want only 1 port then you'll have to decide which is more important to you: wide angle or macro.

The advantage of the 14-54 over the 14-42 is that it is better at focusing, presumably because it can let in more light (f2.8). In your case the difference is propably not worth the extra cost.

The 50mm macro is a lot better than the 14-54 (and the 14-42) when it comes to making those small critters look interesting - it makes them look bigger because it is macro lens. Please don't ask me about the difference between a macro lens and a non-macro lens, I really don't know. But the difference is easy to see.

I'm not really an expert either, these are just my practical observations after 50 dives worth of experience. Hope you can use some of it.

Michael

Hi Michael

Thanks for the Info , I would in the future buy the 50mm Macro - so this also works behind the same port as the 14-42 ??
also what advantages has the 14-54 have over the 14-42 both are 14mm - then 42 to 54 is not really much difference especially if you have a 50mm also (sorry for my Ignorance -but i am new to Digital SLR's)
Also what other lenses fit behind the Athena Dome port ??

Most of the diving I do is in Clearish waters ( Australia/Maldives/etc)

Thanks again
mark

#52 globalmark

globalmark

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 03:30 AM

Thanks Michael

All info is useful , as I am just going to buy a New Housing, I don't have a unlimited Budget But I do want to get the most Versatile port so I can use for now with the 14-42 and in the future get a better lens, I have read a lot and seems you could almost buy a port for every lens , this is what I want to avoid .
so If I can pay a Bit more now that works with the 14-42 but will also be useful later when i get some more lenses . Also I want to Buy the housing/port/flash etc all at same time and hopefully should get some better discount.

Photography I normally do is general fish/moray and stuff (odd and some Macro)

Any recommendations as best Port to Buy from Anyone is Appreciated

#53 michrist

michrist

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 03:52 AM

Personally I would go for a flat port such as the Olympus PP-E05, because I would want the magnification for fish/moray portraits. The bigger they look the better.

The tradeof is that the wide end is not quite as wide as it would have been behind a dome port.

Lensewise I don't think there's any difference. You can use the 14-42, 35mm and 50mm behind both.

Good luck.
Michael

#54 globalmark

globalmark

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 03:59 AM

Hi Michael

sounds great , thanks for the Info - just need to find it all at a great price now

Thanks again
mark

#55 tibu

tibu

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:56 AM

Hi, i,ve got the inon dome for the 8mm, and the pp0-e01 for the 14-45, and the extencion ring for the 1,4 multiplier. It`s posible to use this ports for the 14-54, or i have to buy the pp0-e02?.
Do anybody of you try it?

Thank you

#56 AndyK

AndyK

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 05:08 AM

The PPO-E02 port comes with a focus gear that fits both the 14 to 54 (old) and the 11 to 22 zooms. I am not sure if the gear fits the just released and upgraded 14 to 54 lens. Both are good lenses, I really like the 11 to 22 but they are limited by the flat PPO-E02 glass.
http://www.sfups.org...udin/index.html

Just picking up on this ..
I've just taken delivery of a 14 to 54 MkII ( :nea: ), and the PPE-02 port and zoom gear seem to work.
I've not taken it underwater yet, but I'll be trying it out in Sharm over the next week or two ;) :D .

(and yes, I'd have loved the 12-60, but I've already got a PPE-02, so to take it under would have cost me about 3-4 times as much as the 14-54 ..)

Cheers,

Edited by AndyK, 04 July 2009 - 05:09 AM.

Andy

Olympus E-520
50mm, 11-22mm, INON strobes

muttznutz.net

#57 p...k...

p...k...

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 12:46 AM

Hi, i,ve got the inon dome for the 8mm, and the pp0-e01 for the 14-45, and the extencion ring for the 1,4 multiplier. It`s posible to use this ports for the 14-54, or i have to buy the pp0-e02?.
Do anybody of you try it?

Thank you

At least u have to consider the zoom gear for 1454...
Inon dome +per-e01 fit 918 (quot by inon web) ,and 5020; i think it fit too....

#58 p...k...

p...k...

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 05:23 AM

At least u have to consider the zoom gear for 1454...
Inon dome +per-e01 fit 918 (quot by inon web) ,and 5020; i think it fit too....

Sorry!

it should be

http://en.item.rakut...mpus underwater