16 replies to this topic

#1 Jo Horrocks

Jo Horrocks

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:05 PM

Hi Wetpixellers,

I pulled this together for a competition that needed a 90 seconds or less video of UK Wildlife, but didn't get through. I'm interested to see what people think of it, is it just too darned quick to be effective? I was trying to inject some energy in to it by using fast cuts to a fast paced music track. Please let me know what you think.

Many thanks,

Jo

[youtubehd]J9bvCRrRQB4[/youtubehd]
Jo H

Sony XR520, Aditech Mangrove housing, Fix 1000 LED lights.

#2 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8375 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:52 PM

Its great! We really enjoyed it here.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#3 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:20 PM

Nice one Jo. Great impact and pace.
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#4 Jo Horrocks

Jo Horrocks

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:23 PM

Thanks Alex and Tim. Glad you enjoyed it!! Posted Image
Jo H

#5 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1967 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:24 AM

I would have varied the duration of the clips more and let a few of the clips run longer to give us a "breather" and let us absorb the scene between the fast sequences. To me the natural place for the first longer clip was at 0:20 when the music eases off right after the crescendo. The cuts are too fast from 0:20 to 0:30. Enjoyed it nonetheless and makes me want to go diving in the UK. Sorry it didn't get through.

#6 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:03 AM

Great pictures Jo,
but i also find the pace too hectic, it leaves no time to me to absorb and "digest" the imagines.
After 0:30 the lengt of the sequences is fast but good, before i personally find it too hectic and not adequate to the beautiful recordings.
Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#7 Jo Horrocks

Jo Horrocks

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:14 AM

Hi Nick and Chris,

Great feedback, thanks. Yes, I like the pace of it, but as you say varying the pace in places would help to make it less hectic. I've just moved to Final Cut Pro X, so if I'd edited this piece in there instead of Final Cut Express I think it would have been a lot easier to move things around so that the crescendos emphasised the action better.........I like the style though, so if I do another one I'll try some of your suggestions.

Many thanks,

Jo
Jo H

#8 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:34 PM

Nice one Jo. The images were stunning, but I agree it was maybe a tad too fast. It's great to try new formats and styles out though as it stops you getting in a rut!

I've not been in the water at all at home this year and it made me determined not to let the same happen next year! :)

#9 peterbkk

peterbkk

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Photographry Underwater Video.

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:05 PM

Hi Jo,

Good work that you can be proud of.

Why did it not get selected? Who knows how the judges judged. What they were looking for. Competitions have a big random element. These things are all very subjective so never lose heart.

Maybe some timing changes might have helped.

And there were a couple of out-of-focus spots that probably should have ended up on the cutting room floor.

But, all in all, I enjoyed watching it.

Regards
Peter

#10 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:39 AM

Basically, you simply cut to the beat and it was very effective in my opinion. You kept it short which was good. You could have used a slower paced music so as to stay on a subject for a bit longer time period as others suggested, but that would have produced an entirely different feel to it. You never can predict what an individual judge will see or how they will react to a given film so a lose in one competition might be a win in another. I did the same thing a few years back, simply as a fun exercise and having too much time on my hands. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EU54Y8B6EM If you watch it, you will see that its' 3;40 duration is way too long. I watched it yesterday for the first time in years and that is what I felt at any rate. But it was a cool piece of music and it was something I wanted to do just for the fun on it.
I liked your video...you kept it under 90 secs and it works. Give FCPX a little time and you'll see how intuitive it can be.
Steve

Edited by Steve Douglas, 01 September 2012 - 08:48 AM.

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#11 Jo Horrocks

Jo Horrocks

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:35 PM

Nice one Jo. The images were stunning, but I agree it was maybe a tad too fast. It's great to try new formats and styles out though as it stops you getting in a rut!

I've not been in the water at all at home this year and it made me determined not to let the same happen next year! Posted Image

Thanks Simon, always learning, which is good. Seems to be a general consensus that it was a little too fast....next time it will be better!!! Posted Image Really enjoy mixing up the styles, I have some seal footage that is crying out for a funny script....just need to get my thinking cap on.

That's a real bummer that you've not managed to get in the water this year.....but I guess family has been a priority this year...bet it's worth it though!!

Was down at Selsey this afternoon under the lifeboat pier and was lucky to find a pair of Tompots having quite a spat, they totally ignored me and were having a real go at each other....reminded me a bit of the fight scene from Bridget Jones, very funny!! Posted Image Selsey's an hour from us so we've been there quite a bit this year, if you ever fancy joining us, let me know.

See ya,

Jo
Jo H

#12 Jo Horrocks

Jo Horrocks

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:50 PM

Thanks Peter and Steve, for a 1st time at this style I'm very please with how it turned out and learnt a lot from the process....will need to do some more experimenting with this style when I have a bit more time and improve the timing problem so that it's not too frantic.

Am enjoying learning FCPX, it's similar enough to be familiar to FCE, but just need to get used to where everything is and the extras that I've not had before.

Thanks again both.

Jo

PS. Nice video Steve Posted Image
Jo H

#13 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:52 PM

Tompots! You could make a feature film about them if you had enough time! :D Would be great to join you down at Selsey some time Jo, just let me know when you head down there again and I'll see if I can make it.

Yes little Oliver has kept us VERY busy but I actually got away for the first trip of the year a couple of weeks ago and we are off again next week with lots planned over the next 6 months so don't feel too sorry for us :)

Cheers, Simon

#14 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:02 PM

Hey Jo,
You can find plenty of good tutorials for FCPX here and their discussion forum can be very helpful. http://www.kenstone....page_index.html
Don't feel bad for Simon, he'll be diving in the Cocos Islands, Costa Rica very soon. I'm jealous.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#15 Jo Horrocks

Jo Horrocks

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:51 AM

Tompots! You could make a feature film about them if you had enough time! Posted Image Would be great to join you down at Selsey some time Jo, just let me know when you head down there again and I'll see if I can make it.

Yes little Oliver has kept us VERY busy but I actually got away for the first trip of the year a couple of weeks ago and we are off again next week with lots planned over the next 6 months so don't feel too sorry for us Posted Image

Cheers, Simon

Morning Simon,

Tends to be a bit last minute as we have to check the weather, but will let you know.

Hmmm.....now I definitely don't feel sorry for you at all!!!Posted Image Have a brilliant time in Cocos.

Jo

Edited by Jo Horrocks, 02 September 2012 - 12:53 AM.

Jo H

#16 Jo Horrocks

Jo Horrocks

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:53 AM

Hey Jo,
You can find plenty of good tutorials for FCPX here and their discussion forum can be very helpful. http://www.kenstone....page_index.html
Don't feel bad for Simon, he'll be diving in the Cocos Islands, Costa Rica very soon. I'm jealous.
Steve

Brilliant, thanks Steve.......that'll come in very handy. Posted Image
Jo H

#17 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:20 PM

:D