Photo

What type of luggage do you use for your camera/gear for overseas travel?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 2254 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 11:59 AM

Hi Tim...It will take a D8XX series upright, but I would guess not those bodies that have larger battery compartments.

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Publisher-wetpixel
web | Facebook

#22 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2294 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, good food and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club.

Posted 28 January 2019 - 10:44 PM

Hi Tim...It will take a D8XX series upright, but I would guess not those bodies that have larger battery compartments.

Adam

Thanks Adam, yeah, I think you're right.

The case has a depth of 5" but the cameras with a larger battery compartment (like the D5) or an additional battery holder are over 6" tall. Lying them down probably takes up a bit too much space. Pity, it looks like a really neat bag.

I'll put my credit card away  :crazy:

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#23 dreifish

dreifish

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 06:05 AM

I bought the CineBags CB27 Lens Smuggler before with the intention of using it as my personal item in addition to a 'standard' sized carry-on. I ended up returning it.

It's a very heavy bag even empty, and the amount of padding in it and the thickness of the internal dividers is overkill IMO. If you try to fill it up, it will look very bulky because of all the padding. Not to mention the weight when fully loaded with camera gear makes it very inconvenient to carry using the standard sling. 

#24 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 06:22 AM

I've got a couple of Cinebags, the GoPro bag and also their big rucksack, if I hadn't ordered them from overseas, I would have returned them.

- Their underwater stuff seems so much better quality, than their normal camera bits.

The padding and quality is awful against ThinkTankPhoto stuff.

My current arrangement is (for BA, United etc)
ThinkTank Security V2 Roller and a LowePro Hackback 22ltr for personal item

For smaller flights
DIY'd normal roller 22" using clothes as padding
Cooper 13" DSLR shoulder bag for personal item

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, ScubaLamp V6K Pro Lighting

www.richardwait.com

#25 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2294 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, good food and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club.

Posted 30 January 2019 - 07:19 AM

Thanks Richard and Andrei! Not only have you saved me some money, you have also saved me an(other) equipment row with my beloved.

Credit card firmly back in wallet.

:crazy:

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#26 lasbaegas

lasbaegas

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 01:09 PM

Initially I ordered the Backlight 36L from ThinkTank, and the next day I realized maybe I made a mistake when I started considering the certain eventuality of having to run through an airport with a 20+ kilo bag strapped to my back (I really must stop online shopping at 2 in the morning). I called ThinkTank Photo and after speaking with Justin, one of their CS reps, we had a very helpful and informative discussion of which bag would work best for my needs and we came to the conclusion it would be the Airport International. He even applied a 15% discount without so much as batting an eye in order to bring my total cost closer to what the Backlight 36 would've cost me. I was really blown away by ThinkTank's service and willingness to go the extra mile.

Once I received the Airport International (within 36 hours, I might add: Wow!), I realized the retractable handle was preventing the bag from zipping closed around my nauticam camera and smallhd 502 housing. I called ThinkTank again, and they were incredibly understanding about what was essentially my own error in understanding the variable depth of the retractable handle housing in the bag, and they sent me the Airport Security bag within a day, along with a free shipping label to send back the International. I should mention they even expedited the shipping to me, next day, on their own dime.

I just received the bag this morning and the extra inch or so of depth really makes all the difference and everything i need to take on a flight comfortably fits into my camera bag, including all the batteries, chargers, cables, my laptop and various little accessories. I must admit, I may have been a little skeptical about spending so much on carry-on luggage, but this bag is very well padded, the exterior is sturdy and it is really well thought out. All bases are covered and I feel very comfortable knowing all my gear is in good hands. Furthermore, I can't say enough good things about how impressively I was handled by ThinkTank's customer service- these guys went the extra mile and then some- I really can't say enough good things about my experience with them. And I have no affiliation to the company and my relationship is strictly a new and very enthused customer. I will just cross my fingers and hope i can fit this bag into overhead compartments or stow under the airplane seat internationally. My first test will be to Kona, Hawaii in a week and a half. Wish me luck.

Edited by lasbaegas, 31 January 2019 - 05:08 PM.

#27 hyp

hyp

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 01:58 AM

I use a Thinktank bag as well, and agree with all others who have commented on their build quality. It is top notch.