transport of spare parts, tools etc.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 SMY

SMY

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:photography, diving, hiking in the mountains and everything with an Apple on...

Posted 25 February 2018 - 04:53 AM

I have always the same problem before starting a trip: how to pack/ transport and organize all the spare parts, batteries, tools and all the other gizmos...how do you organize that?

Sascha

Nikon D850, Nauticam NA-D850 housing, Nauticam TTL-Converter 26308, 2 x INON Z330, Nikon 8-15 Fisheye, Nikon 16-35mm, Nauticam 230mm port, Zen170mm  Port, ULCS arms with StiX floats

#2 pbalves

pbalves

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 07:24 AM

All that is needed for do the photography goes on the hand luggage with me. Once I did not have the handles of the housing with me and the checked luggage got delayed. It was a stress. I was not able to photograph on the first day...

The spares parts, spare batteries, chargers and tools in one or two small plastic cases on the checked luggage.

#3 SMY

SMY

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:photography, diving, hiking in the mountains and everything with an Apple on...

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:56 AM

Thanks pbalves,

what kind of cases do you use?

Sascha

Nikon D850, Nauticam NA-D850 housing, Nauticam TTL-Converter 26308, 2 x INON Z330, Nikon 8-15 Fisheye, Nikon 16-35mm, Nauticam 230mm port, Zen170mm  Port, ULCS arms with StiX floats

#4 troporobo

troporobo

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:54 PM

Everything I need, except for floats, fits in a photo backpack.  But I have an m4/3 system so its a bit easier that way.

Just don't put batteries in checked luggage, that's not allowed anymore. 

#5 Chris Kippax

Chris Kippax

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:The underwater world, wildlife photography and mechanical engineering

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:58 PM

The containers that masks come in are handy, just ask your dive shop as they usually have plenty hanging around. If not any supermarket or hardware store will have something you can use. 

Edited by Chris Kippax, 25 February 2018 - 09:00 PM.

#6 Vondo

Vondo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:51 AM

I use a small toiletry bag type of thing that I got from United. It's got a couple of compartments and folds up. That one goes in my checked baggage since it has tools including small a small knife. Plus some save a dive stuff (zip ties, inflator valve, mouthpieces). The tools I pack are pretty simple. A dive multi tool, a 6" crescent wrench (not sure I need that anymore), and a keychain-sized Leatherman. 

All the actual stuff I dive with comes along in carryon, but if I lose my tools I know I'll be able to borrow something, it's just a hassle.

My "photo-save-a-dive" kit (spare o-ring, spare fiber cord, batteries, etc) does come with my in my carryon. There I pack it in an otter box that's big enough for my phone too. That comes on the boat. I just make sure I stick a bit of cloth in the o-ring seal for the plane ride, otherwise it gets sucked shut and needs to be pried open.

#7 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:56 AM

I'm using this:

https://www.cinebags...e/cb76-tool-kit

b0d1ba_5612e756364a4d68b9606102ea595ba8~

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, ScubaLamp V6K Pro Lighting

www.richardwait.com

#8 DDT uk

DDT uk

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:32 AM

I used to have camera, housing (less handles), strobes, lens in the backpack as carry on, with the rest well wrapped in the checked in luggage. However, I started getting far too arguments about the hand luggage exceeding 7kg (as many airlines do). As a result I bought a cheap hard case and filled it with foam with cut outs for all of the part. It is like a peli case but nowhere near as heavy, and doesn't scream "steal me" the way a peli case does. All spares, cables, grease, float arm, macro ports, etc go in (the dome is too big and so goes in the hand luggage).

#9 okuma

okuma

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 01:27 PM

Go to hobby supply store and get small plastic boxes with compartments.

Keep closed with velcro strap

Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 500, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#10 pbalves

pbalves

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 09:32 AM

Hi SMY

As someone else said, the mask box is a nice box for tools and stuff related (save a dive, etc)
On the other box I have this related with photosub and bits for DIY in the case is needed.
Both boxes goes on the checked luggage.

#11 pbalves

pbalves

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 09:41 AM

And now the picture...

Attached Images

• 7158B360-EC97-44E8-A9C5-34FDFE8FEE78.png

#12 bvanant

bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1886 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 03 March 2018 - 11:49 AM

Cameras and housings, lenses and ports in a ThinkTank backpack. All the other stuff for me and my wife the video queen goes into small packable cubes like these 

https://www.amazon.c...ds=packing cube

which are all fit into a hard sided case. We used to use a Pelican type case but now we are using some hard sided, very cheap very light luggage. The bags hold chargers, video lights, batteries and chargers for strobes and cameras, all the light arms and clamps as well as spares and some tools.

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#13 phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:07 AM

I have always the same problem before starting a trip: how to pack/ transport and organize all the spare parts, batteries, tools and all the other gizmos...how do you organize that?

Sascha

I have the problem of a 230mm dome port and housing for Nikon DSLR - in other words, very big!    It forces compromises in packing.

First off, I try hard to not have any glass get packed in checked luggage.   My housing, dome port, and a number of arm segments and the like fit into a rolling carry-on.   I manage to get strobes in there too, but not much else.   I take the arm clamps and put them inside one of my macro ports, then put the covers on it.   That goes in checked luggage, along with anything that ... doesn't fit in the carry-on.   Really, it's that simple.  Put as much as you can in a carry-on, and then you have no choice but to check the rest. 

I use ziplock bags, zippered bags and parts of the housing & gear to hold as many of the small parts as possible.   In order to get the housing to fit in my carry-on, I have to remove a pair of mounting posts that stick up too high.  I put these posts, plus the plastic washers under them, plus a small pliers to help reassemble, into a ziplock.   I have some old plastic zippered semi-hard side container that I use for batteries and chargers.  I think it started life as a makeup bag.  I take it onto dive boats and load it with the spare batteries I need between dives.   My vacuum pump goes in there too, so I can pump down the housing after a camera lens or battery change.

#14 hyp

hyp

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:24 AM

Cameras and housings, lenses and ports in a ThinkTank backpack. All the other stuff for me and my wife the video queen goes into small packable cubes like these 

https://www.amazon.c...ds=packing cube

which are all fit into a hard sided case. We used to use a Pelican type case but now we are using some hard sided, very cheap very light luggage. The bags hold chargers, video lights, batteries and chargers for strobes and cameras, all the light arms and clamps as well as spares and some tools.

Bill

May I ask what ThinkTank backpack you use. I am still looking for a travelling solution for my new to me Em5+ Nauticam 7"domeport and 12-50mm flatport. I am especially wondering how people manage to get past the extreme luggage restrictions on smaller planes. I'm going to Saba next year, and they have 3 kg hand luggage limit... Most pack packs already weigh 1.5kg.

#15 bvanant

bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1886 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 06 March 2018 - 09:00 AM

think tank airport extreme. Just hope they don't weigh it, it is like 14kg.

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#16 PS_DiveDoctor

PS_DiveDoctor

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 03:40 PM

thanks to everyone for all of these replies to the original post. I learned a lot and very helpful.

#17 troporobo

troporobo

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:55 PM

May I ask what ThinkTank backpack you use. I am still looking for a travelling solution for my new to me Em5+ Nauticam 7"domeport and 12-50mm flatport. I am especially wondering how people manage to get past the extreme luggage restrictions on smaller planes. I'm going to Saba next year, and they have 3 kg hand luggage limit... Most pack packs already weigh 1.5kg.

I can just fit my E-M5 in a Nauticam housing with 60mm lens and macro port, a Subsee diopter, a 150mm dome port, two Z240 strobes, a 7-14 lens, a 10" tablet, and a few other bits and pieces in one of these Case Logic backpacks.  It's cheap, light, and gets the job done, although with all that gear it probably weighs 6 kg or a bit more once loaded. 

https://www.caselogi...c_-_206_-_black

Given that the camera, housing, lens, and port together weigh about 1.8 kg, and any bag at least 1 kg, it's going to be tough getting under 3 kg total.  Maybe put a neck strap on it, wear aboard, and pretend it's just a really large camera ;-)

#18 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:37 AM

I have the spare parts separated in small ziploc bags in a tupperware container with a hermetic closure so that it don't open accidentally.
The big dome port has another tupperware type hard plastic contaniner over it and it's held in place with 2 bungie straps.
This works great as it protect the port from scratches and bumps as the plastic avoids that something touches the glass.

Camera, housing, minidome, strobes and necessar cables go in a carry-on roller from Temba, heavy laptop goes in a messenger bag,
tray and arms and any less used stuff goes inside a pelicase in the dive suitcase. If suitcase is lost i stuill can shoot WA!
The new carry-on rules are a big PITA, but to be honest, on most of the overhead bins is written MAX 20 KILOS and my old carry on Lowepro Backpack was 17,

and there where several other carry-on stuff in the same overhead bin.

If i have the D800 rig with me i use photographers vest and put lenses and other heavy stuff in the pockets untill i passed the weighting station,
then it goes back in the backpack/trolley :evilgrin:

Chris

Edited by ChrigelKarrer, 15 April 2018 - 08:39 AM.

Nikon D800 + Sigma 15mm + Nikon 105mm Micro VR + Hugyfot Housing + 3 Inon Z-240 strobes + 2x2 8'' ULCS arms - Panasonic LX100 + Nauticam Housing + SubSea +10 diopter
Nikon D90 + Ikelite housing + Ikelite DS125 strobe (for sale) - Nikon D7000 + Hugyfot housing (for sale) 
Canon G1X + Canon OEM housing (sold) - Canon G12 + Patima aluminium housing  (for sale) - - Fuji E900 + Ikelite housing (for sale)
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#19 tubestance

tubestance

Lionfish

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:36 AM

Here's a link to a blog article on the way I break photo gear down into bags. Like some comments above, I also keep the toolkit in an old tupperware container. I'm personally not a fan of pelican cases for air travel carry-on since they're so heavy and you've got the gear on you at all times anyways.

-> Packing Underwater Photo Gear