• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 subbsi

subbsi

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:23 AM

Hi I'm off to Oz with my non-diving girlfriend for the whole of next month, driving the Great Ocean Road and then Melbourne to Sydney. We'll be snorkelling as a pair but can probably abandon her for a a day or so to get a dive in so can anyone recommend the best spot along this route to do it? Also any nice areas to snorkel?

#2 errbrr

errbrr

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:33 PM

The weather's starting to get a bit average so I would pick your timing based on when the sea is flat during your visit. The boat diving along the Victorian coast in particular is very weather dependent - you want northerly winds for best conditions. There are no boat ramps along most of the Great Ocean Road because of the cliffs and the incoming Southern Ocean with nowhere to hide. One exception is the boat diving out of Melbourne (really Portsea/Queencliff) where you can dive various sites along Lonsdale Wall on slack water in most wind/swell conditions. The wall is beautiful - lots of sponge life and reef fish with big dropoffs down to 100m. Check out Red Boats for charter schedules. You might like to consider snorkelling with the seals in Port Phillip Bay as well as they are good fun.

Melbourne shore diving is all about the piers - Blairgowrie Yacht Club, Rye Pier and Flinders Pier are good. Flinders on the end of a low tide/start of the incoming tide will only be about 2m deep so would be suitable for snorkelling and there are weedy seadragons there. 

If you are driving the (much longer) coastal route to Sydney there are a couple of scuttled tugboat wreck dives at Eden. And then the diving at Jervis Bay is excellent.

#3 subbsi

subbsi

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:08 AM

That's great info thanks. It's mainly a surf trip so looks like I've got an option for a flat day now too.