24 replies to this topic

#21 scipionems

scipionems

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Underwater Photography, Diving and sea

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:41 AM

This again is a bit like comparing apples to oranges. The 30mm has twice the angle of view and twice the depth of field V. the 60mm at the same F/number. The 30mm does not work with closeup lenses because of the close focusing distance while the 60mm works quite well with +5 to +25 amounts of magnification. 

This is a bit like comparing the 7 mm end to the 14mm end of the Olympus zoom. Both work very well for what they were designed for. I look at the 30mm as a 1:3 or greater size lens while I look at the 60mm as a 1:3 or smaller size animal. If I am looking to do super macro 60mm is my choice Fabio's which are all in the appox .1:3 or larger range the 30mm works great. For an under $300.00US lens the 30mm has excellent image quality and is easer to use because of the wider angel and greater DOF. 

I find the 30mm to be an excellent black water lens because the 60mm is a bit difficult to focus while I and my subject are both moving. 

Bottom line is I would own both if you can afford to do that because they simply don't replace each other.

Photo is from a black water dive and the subject is a little larger that a US quarter, Larval Stage Sea Anemone, 30mm, ISO-200, F/7.1, 1/250th sec, two Inon Z-240 strobes, Nauticam housing and 45 port.

Hi Phil,

Sorry I am not so expert, but why you tell that the 30mm (Pana or Oly) doesn't work with wet macro lens ?

I made this picture of the Pigmy with the 30mm Pana + INON UCL 165 wet macro lens.... 

Where I am wrong ??  :unsure:

Scipionems

Attached Images

• _1120886.jpg

Edited by scipionems, 12 November 2017 - 01:42 AM.

#22 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1255 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:49 AM

First of all the topic is shooting experiences with the Olympus 30mm macro V. the 60mm macro lens. The issue with the Olympus 30mm macro is VERY limited working distance and the port you are using. With my Nauticam NA-EM1 II the 45 port is recommended. In that port the front of the lens is about 10mm from the outside of the port glass leaving a working distance of about 10mm between subject and port at 1.25:1 or maximum magnification. Using say a plus 10 closeup lens would reduce the distance to 5mm plus the thickness of the CU lens would leave little to no working distance. In addition the CU lens would be at least 10mm from the front of the lens which would reduce the magnification of the lens because of the distance between the two lenses. Also the Olympus lens is already a 1.25:1 lens which at 1.25:1 is about the same amount of magnification as you would get with your Panasonic lens at 1:1 plus the ULC-165 wet lens. This is assuming that your lens is closer to the port glass on your housing. With the very best placement your lens at 1:1 plus the the Inon UCL-165 would get you to about 1.3:1.   

For subjects the size of a Pigmy the 60mm macro is just the far better choice and at 1:1 you can use about +25 of magnification in front of the lens before the working distance becomes to limited. This would give you magnification of about 5:1 or a subject about 3.5mm on the long side.   

#23 scipionems

scipionems

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Underwater Photography, Diving and sea

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:46 PM

First of all the topic is shooting experiences with the Olympus 30mm macro V. the 60mm macro lens. The issue with the Olympus 30mm macro is VERY limited working distance and the port you are using. With my Nauticam NA-EM1 II the 45 port is recommended. In that port the front of the lens is about 10mm from the outside of the port glass leaving a working distance of about 10mm between subject and port at 1.25:1 or maximum magnification. Using say a plus 10 closeup lens would reduce the distance to 5mm plus the thickness of the CU lens would leave little to no working distance. In addition the CU lens would be at least 10mm from the front of the lens which would reduce the magnification of the lens because of the distance between the two lenses. Also the Olympus lens is already a 1.25:1 lens which at 1.25:1 is about the same amount of magnification as you would get with your Panasonic lens at 1:1 plus the ULC-165 wet lens. This is assuming that your lens is closer to the port glass on your housing. With the very best placement your lens at 1:1 plus the the Inon UCL-165 would get you to about 1.3:1.   

For subjects the size of a Pigmy the 60mm macro is just the far better choice and at 1:1 you can use about +25 of magnification in front of the lens before the working distance becomes to limited. This would give you magnification of about 5:1 or a subject about 3.5mm on the long side.

Thank you for the clear explanation Phil
Scipionems

#24 bmorescuba

bmorescuba

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Critter ID, Pit Bull Rescue

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:32 AM

Just for anyone who might be interested - the Olympus 30mm macro is on sale today at B&H for $99US, free expedited shipping (US). At that price, I had to pick one up. Now, to try and find a deal or a used shorter port...

OH, and the 60mm is $299. I don't have any B&H affiliation - I've just been watching m43 lens prices for a long time now.

Edited by bmorescuba, 23 November 2017 - 06:40 AM.

Brian Cole | Flickr Sets

#25 Wapiti

Wapiti

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:03 PM

Same here, but I ordered through the Olympus website as I had some reward points that were going to expire anyways.  Didn't even know that I needed this lens :)