9 replies to this topic

#1 HDVdiver

HDVdiver

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:Dive,dive, dive...

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:18 PM

Although I don't have much interest in POV "action cameras" like GoPro (gotta love the shmick name they gave those things), many will be interested to hear that Sony are releasing their own version:

http://nofilmschool....mera-this-fall/

http://www.theverge....ands-on#3501523

Sony-povcam1.jpg

Sony will have a splash-proof housing for it and no doubt someone will make an UW case. If they use a decent codec and don't cripple the bit-rate it could be useful for my next Great White Shark trip. Posted Image

Edited by Drew, 03 September 2012 - 12:48 AM.

#2 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:11 PM

The UW housing has a dome port. I wonder if Sony have made the same mistake Gopro did. Third party port hackers standing by....

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#3 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:42 AM

In the worst kept secret in the industry, Sony has just officially announced the "Action Cam" HDR-AS15 and HDR-AS10, 2 small form video cameras for the mini-video camera market popularized by GoPro.

The 1/2.3" 11mp CMOS sensor cameras come with Steady Shot image stabilization and records at HQ 16mbps (compared to GoPro HD2's 35 mbps). The camera can do a Slow and Super Slow Motion mode at 60 or 120fps in 720/30p mode. Strangely, it does not shoot 720/60p at all.
The lens has a similar FOV to the GoPro, 170° without Steady Shot and 120° with Steady shot. Other features include Wifi for the AS15 with smart phone control.
The housing goes to 60m but uses a dome port. With a mfd of 30cm, I suspect there'll be a focus issue like the GoPro. The good news is that the battery is removable and can be replaced with a fully charged spare battery.

Looking at the specs, it is obvious Sony aimed the AS series at the weaknesses of GoPro, namely image stabilization, super slow motion and wireless connection without an accessory pack, all at the lower price than GoPro.

There's much to like with the Sonys, but ultimately the image quality will be the main factor. The GoPro HD2 can now shoot 35mbps with Technicolor's Cinestyle profile. The Sonys shoot 16mbps and only 2mp stills. It'll be important to see if the Sony sensor will shoot cleaner despite the smaller pixel pitch. The super slow motion mode alone is worth buy a AS10 as a complement to the GoPro even.

I can't wait to test this camera out when it arrives!

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#4 sjspeck

sjspeck

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Interests:U/W Video

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:08 AM

I just watched the video demo's and was underimpressed. http://store.sony.co...Sony_Action_Cam The extra 19mbps makes a big difference.

Too bad because I sort of wanted one.

Edited by sjspeck, 30 August 2012 - 09:09 AM.

#5 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

In the worst kept secret in the industry, Sony has just officially announced the "Action Cam" HDR-AS15 and HDR-AS10, 2 small form video cameras for the mini-video camera market popularized by GoPro.

The 1/2.3" 11mp CMOS sensor cameras come with Steady Shot image stabilization and records at HQ 16mbps (compared to GoPro HD2's 35 mbps). The camera can do a Slow and Super Slow Motion mode at 60 or 120fps in 720/30p mode. Strangely, it does not shoot 720/60p at all.
The lens has a similar FOV to the GoPro, 170° without Steady Shot and 120° with Steady shot. Other features include Wifi for the AS15 with smart phone control.
The housing goes to 60m but uses a dome port. With a mfd of 30cm, I suspect there'll be a focus issue like the GoPro. The good news is that the battery is removable and can be replaced with a fully charged spare battery.

Looking at the specs, it is obvious Sony aimed the AS series at the weaknesses of GoPro, namely image stabilization, super slow motion and wireless connection without an accessory pack, all at the lower price than GoPro.

There's much to like with the Sonys, but ultimately the image quality will be the main factor. The GoPro HD2 can now shoot 35mbps with Technicolor's Cinestyle profile. The Sonys shoot 16mbps and only 2mp stills. It'll be important to see if the Sony sensor will shoot cleaner despite the smaller pixel pitch. The super slow motion mode alone is worth buy a AS10 as a complement to the GoPro even.

I can't wait to test this camera out when it arrives!

I thought the GoPro Hero 2 bit rate was more like 15-20 mbps currently, but that it would be upgraded to 35 mbps in an upcoming (but not yet available) firmware upgrade. Looking at the Sony demo, it didn't look great in terms of compression artifacts, but I wouldn't be surprised if a fair amount of that is just web compression. I'll reserve judgement till i see some files straight from the camera. The GoPros are hard to beat for the money, though, and should be even better once we get the firmware upgrade. The range of mounting options offered by GoPro and also third party manufacturers is also pretty impressive. One area which could do with some improvement is low light, where the GoPro's quickly fall apart. I wonder if the Sonys will be any better.
EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#6 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:21 PM

I just watched the video demo's and was underimpressed. http://store.sony.co...Sony_Action_Cam The extra 19mbps makes a big difference.

Too bad because I sort of wanted one.

It's a web version, so not indicative of actual performance.

I thought the GoPro Hero 2 bit rate was more like 15-20 mbps currently, but that it would be upgraded to 35 mbps in an upcoming (but not yet available) firmware upgrade.

The GoPros are hard to beat for the money, though, and should be even better once we get the firmware upgrade. The range of mounting options offered by GoPro and also third party manufacturers is also pretty impressive. One area which could do with some improvement is low light, where the GoPro's quickly fall apart. I wonder if the Sonys will be any better.

Yes, GoPro Pro Tune isn't available yet. They are having a bit of problem with it. It's still available in beta only. ;)
GoPro 2s are better than the 1s on noise but it's not hard to improve on crap! :) It's a small sensor camera that costs under $300. Speaking of costs,the Sony AS15 is $269 and that comes with wifi. I think Sony is pricing it under GoPro to break into the market. The accessories should follow if it penetrates the market significantly.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#7 sjspeck

sjspeck

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:36 PM

It's a web version, so not indicative of actual performance.

True but wouldn't you think Sony would attempt to put their best demo footage on their website where they're trying to sell the camera?

There's a lot more artifacting on any of their demos (at least the 6 I looked at) than the GoPro main page demo.

#8 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:51 PM

Companies sometimes makes silly marketing mistakes like that. It even says on the video url that it's low res. And their marketing reel is almost a verbatim copy of the Gopro... but a lot less polished in editing. What I do notice is a slightly more stable image for some of the POV shots. I'd wait and see. I hope it's not that bad because GoPro needs some competition.

Drew

#9 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:40 PM

I used a Sony MC1 in a seatool housing for a NHK shoot and it was pretty cool for the shallow, freshwater fishy sequences i was shooting... Would gave loved to see it in action in clearer/warmer waters though ;)
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#10 sjspeck

sjspeck

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:15 PM

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=47619