• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 EspenB

EspenB

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 01:46 PM

Sooner or later Nauticam will probably need to upgrade their M43 housings to a 100 mm port system as the 85 mm system is not optimal for the pletora of bigger and fatter lenses as well as the bigger camera bodies.

Edited by EspenB, 28 May 2017 - 01:47 PM.

#22 BradDB

BradDB

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 10:05 AM

There seems to be an issue with the zoom gear for the Olympus 7-14 mm as well.

It's also a problem with the Olympus 60mm macro focus gear on the GH5.

My dealer has contacted Nauticam.

Edited by BradDB, 30 May 2017 - 10:06 AM.

Panasonic GH5 in Nauticam Housing
Sea&Sea YS-250Pro strobes
http://www.montereydiving.com

#23 EspenB

EspenB

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:45 PM

It's also a problem with the Olympus 60mm macro focus gear on the GH5.

My dealer has contacted Nauticam.

Ok. A friend have no issues with the 60 mm in in the standard flat port, but the Oly 7-14 zoom ring doesn't work for him.

#24 BradDB

BradDB

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:01 AM

Ok. A friend have no issues with the 60 mm in in the standard flat port, but the Oly 7-14 zoom ring doesn't work for him.

It might be an issue with manufacturing tolerances of either Panasonic or Nauticam. Here is a photo of the Olympus 60mm focus gear contacting the nose on my GH5. I've worn off some GH5 paint attempting to turn the gear.

Attached Images

• GH5_Oly60mm1sm.jpg

Edited by BradDB, 31 May 2017 - 11:02 AM.

#25 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 01:13 AM

Dont want to open a new thread so i ll post my question here.

I am thinking to make the move from a compact camera to the GH5.

Considering that it will be used 90% for video, mostly for wide angle with the occasional macro stuff and that i already own the WWL 1 and CMC 1 what would be your lens choice?

Thanks!

If you have the WWL-1 and CMC-1 already I would get the 14-42mm II or 14-42mm PZ and the flat port and go from there.

I'm really happy with my current setup with those wet lenses and my GH4and 14-42mm

Regards, Richard

---

www.RichardWait.com

#26 adamtaylor

adamtaylor

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:16 AM

It might be an issue with manufacturing tolerances of either Panasonic or Nauticam. Here is a photo of the Olympus 60mm focus gear contacting the nose on my GH5. I've worn off some GH5 paint attempting to turn the gear.

Picked up my Nauticam GH5 housing yesterday and it appears very well constructed & sturdy.

Have not taken it underwater but did try my existing lenses for fit issues;

Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 Pro in the 180mm glass dome with extension etc appears to work fine.

Olympus 60mm in Nauticam 77mm Macro port for 12-50mm also appears to work fine.

The Olympus 12-50mm with Nauticam macro / zoom gear contraption I used with my EM-5 wont even properly connect to the camera. It will mount, but due to the teeth on the zoom gear and alignment of the 'cage' around the lens it doesn't seat well enough for the camera to even recognize it.

Awaiting further input on the new components for this lens that work with GH5 (cost, availability etc...)

FYI for Canadian purchasers. Panasonic Canada does not list the Panasonic flash specified on the Nauticam website. Unless things change it looks like we will have to order through USA.

Looking forward to testing this weekend in the water.

Regards

Adam

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
<p>Olympus OMD E-M5, Nauticam Housing,12-40 f2.8 with 180mmm dome & extensions, 12-50mm & 60mm in macro port, 8mm Panasonic Fisheye in 4" mini-dome, 2 x YS-D1, Sola 800

#27 stphnmartin

stphnmartin

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:39 PM

Picked up my Nauticam GH5 housing yesterday and it appears very well constructed & sturdy.

Have not taken it underwater but did try my existing lenses for fit issues;

Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 Pro in the 180mm glass dome with extension etc appears to work fine.

Olympus 60mm in Nauticam 77mm Macro port for 12-50mm also appears to work fine.

The Olympus 12-50mm with Nauticam macro / zoom gear contraption I used with my EM-5 wont even properly connect to the camera. It will mount, but due to the teeth on the zoom gear and alignment of the 'cage' around the lens it doesn't seat well enough for the camera to even recognize it.

Awaiting further input on the new components for this lens that work with GH5 (cost, availability etc...)

FYI for Canadian purchasers. Panasonic Canada does not list the Panasonic flash specified on the Nauticam website. Unless things change it looks like we will have to order through USA.

Looking forward to testing this weekend in the water.

Regards

Adam

How'd it go on your first outing?

View dive videos on my youtube channel. Panasonic GH5, Nauticam housing, SmallHD 501 monitor, Sola 3000s, Phantom 4, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X

#28 adamtaylor

adamtaylor

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:02 PM

Had to use my old camera on Saturday dives as I didnt have a battery for Leak detection system.

But Sunday's five went well.

Need to upgrade my computer before editing 4K and will go through the 1080p 60fps footage in next couple days.

Very impressed with ease of white balance for a rookie like me. 2 octo on eggs was an added bonus

More comments later in week

<p>Olympus OMD E-M5, Nauticam Housing,12-40 f2.8 with 180mmm dome & extensions, 12-50mm & 60mm in macro port, 8mm Panasonic Fisheye in 4" mini-dome, 2 x YS-D1, Sola 800

#29 rollin

rollin

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Aquatic ecology, wildlife photography

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:05 AM

How'd it go on your first outing?

I have done six dives with this setup in the last two weeks. It is a joy to use, I dive with drygloves with neoprene undergloves, so this is not an advantage. I never had problems however pushing buttons.

The nauticam team has done a great job I must say. I come from Seacam, I'm used to high quality housings, but I never had the feeling of taking a step back. On the contrary, the nauticam has some little details that make live so much easier. I dove in cold, murky waters with lots of current. If you have to think about which button to press, this is a pain. Nauticam color coded some buttons, I did'nt realise in advance how well this would work.

Handles are nice, with enough possibilities to attach stuff (currents, you know). Also new for me is the EVF, coming from a full frame Nikon. I bought this nauticam-panasonic set because I'm slowly switching to video. As my hair is turning grey and my eye-sight is diminishing, looking on a little screen on the back of a camera is a pain, especially through a mask. So I've bitten the bullet and bought the 45° angle finder as well. I have the same finder on my seacam system. I can tell you, the secams is huge but also wonderful to work with. The nauticams is somewhat smaller, but optically comes very close and is as much a joy to use. When I'm filming small critters and minute nudibranches, I can look through a clear viewfinder, review my work without turning my gear around, reshoot if necessary...

The GH-5 is like a tasmanian devil, small but don't underestimate it. I was afraid the little sensor was no match for a full frame sensor that is 4 times larger, and in a way it isn't. I'm used to the quality of the Nikons, and even an old D700 or D3 are blowing this small thing out of the water. But, I have to ask myself, is it good enough for my needs. And it is by a good margin, so enough said.

The video quality is amazing. I admit, at 3200 ISO it is no match for a D800 when you look at the noise, but under 1200 it is for sure. And in 4K, 422, 10 bits in a flat codec, it looks dull and disappointing, but when you are willing to do the extra mile and work on your color grading skills, it is really amazing what you can pull out of this footage. Noise can be handled with software like neatimage with good results.

Of course, like Adam Taylor already says, it is a large stream of data, very heavily compressed, which is almost impossible for even a more than capable PC to work with. In fact, the best way to edit and grade the clips is to encode them to a more workable codec like Prores on mac or Avid DNxHR on a PC. These are like 5 times as large, but the interframe compression is mostly gone, so an editing program can manage this much easier. After your project is over, you keep the originals and get rid of the encoded footage, which can be re-encoded if needed.

I had one little problem yesterday, as I was becoming too confident in the housing. Nauticam really tries to solve problems in advance. With some housings, it is important that all turning knobs of the housing and camera are aligned before closing. Otherwise, you will be in for a unpleasant surprise under water when a button is not accessible, especially the on/off! Nauticam thought of this by making these turning knobs retractible so you always can find the right position.
I was so foolish not to make a test shot being somewhat tired after a long day of diving and testing. Under water pressure however, this nice solution seemed not possible. Was it the bulky gloves, did I do something wrong? I don't know. I had to come out, reset the button and go back again. Just in time to find and film the minuscule nudibranch I was looking for!

Hope this helps, if you have questions or some things are not clear (English is not my first nor second language), please ask!
Regards,
Rollin

Edited by rollin, 06 June 2017 - 04:09 AM.

#30 stphnmartin

stphnmartin

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 12:25 PM

I have done six dives with this setup in the last two weeks. It is a joy to use, I dive with drygloves with neoprene undergloves, so this is not an advantage. I never had problems however pushing buttons.

The nauticam team has done a great job I must say. I come from Seacam, I'm used to high quality housings, but I never had the feeling of taking a step back. On the contrary, the nauticam has some little details that make live so much easier. I dove in cold, murky waters with lots of current. If you have to think about which button to press, this is a pain. Nauticam color coded some buttons, I did'nt realise in advance how well this would work.

Handles are nice, with enough possibilities to attach stuff (currents, you know). Also new for me is the EVF, coming from a full frame Nikon. I bought this nauticam-panasonic set because I'm slowly switching to video. As my hair is turning grey and my eye-sight is diminishing, looking on a little screen on the back of a camera is a pain, especially through a mask. So I've bitten the bullet and bought the 45° angle finder as well. I have the same finder on my seacam system. I can tell you, the secams is huge but also wonderful to work with. The nauticams is somewhat smaller, but optically comes very close and is as much a joy to use. When I'm filming small critters and minute nudibranches, I can look through a clear viewfinder, review my work without turning my gear around, reshoot if necessary...

The GH-5 is like a tasmanian devil, small but don't underestimate it. I was afraid the little sensor was no match for a full frame sensor that is 4 times larger, and in a way it isn't. I'm used to the quality of the Nikons, and even an old D700 or D3 are blowing this small thing out of the water. But, I have to ask myself, is it good enough for my needs. And it is by a good margin, so enough said.

The video quality is amazing. I admit, at 3200 ISO it is no match for a D800 when you look at the noise, but under 1200 it is for sure. And in 4K, 422, 10 bits in a flat codec, it looks dull and disappointing, but when you are willing to do the extra mile and work on your color grading skills, it is really amazing what you can pull out of this footage. Noise can be handled with software like neatimage with good results.

Of course, like Adam Taylor already says, it is a large stream of data, very heavily compressed, which is almost impossible for even a more than capable PC to work with. In fact, the best way to edit and grade the clips is to encode them to a more workable codec like Prores on mac or Avid DNxHR on a PC. These are like 5 times as large, but the interframe compression is mostly gone, so an editing program can manage this much easier. After your project is over, you keep the originals and get rid of the encoded footage, which can be re-encoded if needed.

I had one little problem yesterday, as I was becoming too confident in the housing. Nauticam really tries to solve problems in advance. With some housings, it is important that all turning knobs of the housing and camera are aligned before closing. Otherwise, you will be in for a unpleasant surprise under water when a button is not accessible, especially the on/off! Nauticam thought of this by making these turning knobs retractible so you always can find the right position.
I was so foolish not to make a test shot being somewhat tired after a long day of diving and testing. Under water pressure however, this nice solution seemed not possible. Was it the bulky gloves, did I do something wrong? I don't know. I had to come out, reset the button and go back again. Just in time to find and film the minuscule nudibranch I was looking for!

Hope this helps, if you have questions or some things are not clear (English is not my first nor second language), please ask!
Regards,
Rollin

Thanks for yours and Adam's feedback. I've pulled the trigger on my order and will get the housing late this week or next week. Supposedly the fixed gear for the 12-50mm will be available then as well. Looking forward to a lot of rapid learning.

I process video on a 2008 mac pro. While almost a decade old it can still handle the 4K60p files via proxy media in FCPX. Takes a while to generate the files. The the workflow is smooth after that. 

Perhaps we'll have to open a new thread for GH5 techniques as people have the camera and housings now.

View dive videos on my youtube channel. Panasonic GH5, Nauticam housing, SmallHD 501 monitor, Sola 3000s, Phantom 4, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X

#31 adamtaylor

adamtaylor

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:42 PM

For those interested I posted a couple links to footage from my first dive with GH5 under Editing, Post Production etc.

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=60128

Constructive criticism would be welcome as I am new to Underwater Video

Regards,

Adam

#32 BradDB

BradDB

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 09:21 PM

Just a follow-up on the Olypus 60mm macro fitment issue in case this comes up for anybody else:

Nauticam sells/has sold two gear sets for the Olympus 60 mm Macro with the same part number. Either this or Nauticam revamped the part but retained the part number. The lip in front of the gear is changed just enough to effect fitment of the lens to the GH5. If you buy this manual focus gear for the GH5 make sure you request the thin-lipped version.

Attached Images

• Nauticam_focus_for Oly60mm.jpg

#33 Lionfi2s

Lionfi2s

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:14 AM

If you have the WWL-1 and CMC-1 already I would get the 14-42mm II or 14-42mm PZ and the flat port and go from there.

I'm really happy with my current setup with those wet lenses and my GH4and 14-42mm

For anyone looking in to going that way bare in mind that the Nauticam gear for the 14-42 PZ will only control zoom and not focus. I dont know if the same is true for the "normal"14-42 II lens

#34 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:29 AM

For anyone looking in to going that way bare in mind that the Nauticam gear for the 14-42 PZ will only control zoom and not focus. I dont know if the same is true for the "normal"14-42 II lens

There is very few zoom lenses that have both zoom and focus control available, the N85 6" dome has a variant with a focus knob, which I believe will work with the Panasonic 7-14mm and 12-35mm, there is also a number of N85 to N120 adaptors with focus knobs - perhaps others will work with that.

I developed and printed a 3D mod for the 14-42PZ nauticam gearing to switch the zoom to focus control - and then on the GH4/GH5 you can use the direction pad to control zoom, so having both.

Edited by thetrickster, 02 November 2017 - 12:21 AM.

Regards, Richard

---

www.RichardWait.com

#35 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 09:38 AM

Just a word of warning. I just tried (this afternoon) using my 14-42mm PZ with the Nauticam gearing fitted and it doesn’t fit under the ‘LUMIX’ over hang on the camera. It’s too low for the gearing/teeth. So unless Nauticam fix it (perhaps there is a new revision of gearing?) the only other alternative is the 14-42mm II

Regards - Richard

Regards, Richard

---

www.RichardWait.com

#36 Lionfi2s

Lionfi2s

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 09:05 PM

Just a word of warning. I just tried (this afternoon) using my 14-42mm PZ with the Nauticam gearing fitted and it doesn’t fit under the ‘LUMIX’ over hang on the camera. It’s too low for the gearing/teeth. So unless Nauticam fix it (perhaps there is a new revision of gearing?) the only other alternative is the 14-42mm II

Regards - Richard

Works fine for me on the GH5 Nauticam housing with the 14-42 PZ

#37 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 10:26 PM

They must of updated it already to fit and I’ve got an old one then

That’s good news!

Regards - Richard

Regards, Richard

---

www.RichardWait.com

#38 Lionfi2s

Lionfi2s

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 02:36 AM

Nauticam part number for the 14-42 PZ lens zoom gear for the GH5 housing is 36061

#39 Lionfi2s

Lionfi2s

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:51 AM

There is very few zoom lenses that have both zoom and focus control available, the N85 6" dome has a variant with a focus knob, which I believe will work with the Panasonic 7-14mm and 12-35mm, there is also a number of N85 to N120 adaptors with focus knobs - perhaps others will work with that.

I developed and printed a 3D mod for the 14-42PZ nauticam gearing to switch the zoom to focus control - and then on the GH4/GH5 you can use the direction pad to control zoom, so having both.

And by reading the GH5 manual user is supposed to be able to manually focus using the direction pan when using a PZ type lens. Tried yesterday and didn't manage to find how it works. So a focus gear would actually make sense instead of a zoom gear.