• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Reefdiver88

Reefdiver88

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:13 PM

Anyone have experience, good or bad with these strobes Sea & Sea YS-D2j? There have been reports of bad products but they still seem to be popular strobes. So were the bad products the previous versions not made in Japan, and/or was it a case of just those with bad experiences were reporting them and that most users are satisfied?

#2 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2385 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, good food and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club.

Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:53 PM

You’ve seen this presumably:

http://wetpixel.com/...topic=60161&hl=

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#3 Kraken de Mabini

Kraken de Mabini

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, design UW custom gizmos

Posted 30 January 2019 - 07:30 AM

Hi, I have been Scuba diving since 1963, and taking UW photos since 2000.  I have used Ikelite, Sea&Sea and Inon strobes.  In my experience, I prefer Sea&Sea to Inon, and both over Ikelite, as Ikelite strobes use the trouble prone and klutzy sync cable.  
My S&S YS-D1's were OK, as were the YS-D2's made in China.  I now use two S&S YS-D2J's which have worked fine for 6 months, with two Inon D2000's as backups.

The YS-D2J is easier to use and has a potentially longer life over the Inon D2000 (200) and Z240 (330) as the Inons use a magnet which corrodes and stops working; the defective magnet screws up the Inon's performance and drives the user crazy.
Inon strobes have a double battery cap, awkward to use with a screw nut that is easy to lose, sealed with a fat yellow O-ring that can twist and leak.  In contrast, the Sea&Sea battery cap is beautifully designed and almost idiot-proof.

And not even Jacques Cousteau can understand the Inon user manuals, as they were written in Outer Mongolian by somebody with Alzheimer's. In contrast, the Sea&Sea manuals can be understood by anybody who can read the comics.  In short, in MHO the Sea&Sea strobes are easier to use and more reliable.

For me, the real big problem with Sea&Sea and Inon strobes is not that they at times give trouble, but that there is no available way to repair them. Ikelite is different, as the few times I have asked for help they have been most cooperative.  In contrast, neither Inon nor Sea&Sea offer any responsive support, they take your money and run.  Just imagine if Nikon or Canon did the same?   

For a different set of experiences with Sea & Sea strobes, please see:
http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=60161

Edited by Kraken de Mabini, 30 January 2019 - 08:03 PM.

#4 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 04:41 PM

You could argue both ways on the battery cap issue.  To me the key with INON o-rings is to use enough grease, the just enough to make it shiny instruction which is right for housing o-rings doesn't really apply to INON o-rings.  The issue is the sliding motion as you screw on the cap wipes the grease away, so if they are well greased they screw on easily and the risk of twisting is minimised.  In addition the transparent cap allows you to inspect the o-ring and you can see the sealing surface easily through the cap and tell if it is twisted or there is hair or grit.  I was actually convinced on the INON when I bought it as the dealer argued that the INON had a better battery cap arrangement.

The Manual I agree is terrible but they are not that hard to understand and there are a few online guides available which cut through the crap and tell you how to use them.   As for reliability there are a number of threads on S&S reliability but not so much on INON, there's internet amplification to consider but that should apply equally to both brands.  The one issue with the INONs was the small knobs which has been addressed with the latest Z330. 

Another point in favour if the INONs is the slave sensor is much more sensitive compared to S&S.   If we are talking Z-330 vs YS-D2J the INON is also significantly more powerful even though they have the same guide number more or less as the Z-330 has a much wider beam.  The S&S has an 80° beam without diffuser and the INON 110° without diffuser.  If you add the 100° diffusers the S&S becomes guide no 24 and GN 20 with the 120° diffuser.  INON offers a -0.3EV soft diffuser which maintains 110° and just softens light and gives a guide no of 27.