• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Draq

Draq

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:21 PM

I am not in need of a compact camera for underwater use, but I have a family member who would like one and I was thinking of getting him a housing.  I know he can purchase a new Sony RX100II of about $425 and I have found an almost new Nauticam housing for this camera that I can get for about $500.00.  I have been very happy with my Nauticam housings.

I know the camera is not current, and really haven't spent much time following developments in this market, but thought maybe this would be a good choice.  Leaving aside strobes and arms and such, that would get him a camera and housing for about $1000.

Is there something else in that approximate price range I should look at?  I am only going to buy about $500 worth of stuff as a gift...the rest is on him.  I don't think he would spend much more than money than I have just described.

Thanks.

#2 hellhole

hellhole

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 05:41 AM

The rx100 mk2 is still a very good camera.... The mk3 and mk4 has better video taking (4k) resolution. And a wider angle, but imo not too significant...

#3 Draq

Draq

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:17 PM

Well, thank you hellhole, but the housing I was thinking of getting as a gift has gone away, so I will wait and see what he seems to like and see if I can chip in to help him out, so please disregard my question.

#4 Mark K

Mark K

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 09:13 AM

I bought a Meikon aluminium housing for RX100III at around 500 price. Well built and brand new. A new housing for RX100 IV costs the same

Mark K

A clown fish finding its way home

#5 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1628 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:09 AM

The RX100 Mark II is the best compact for underwater use period. Try to get a Nauticam housing second  hand or even new all other housing do not work so well with wet lenses.

The newer cameras have a 24-70mm lens or even 24-100mm lens that are too short or too wide to use wet lenses some even need ports. Example are the Canon G7X, Panasonic LX100, Sony RX100 Mark III/IV

The video is still pretty good and unless you have a 4K Tv you won't see major differences with the mark IV.

I sold my Mark II housing and camera and I got now a Panasonic GX7 the pictures are the same in dynamic range but the lenses are sharper video wise it is the same of the Mark II. I have also a Mark IV but other than 4K video I am not planning to use it for picture due to to painful 24-70mm lens

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#6 Pajjpen

Pajjpen

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:15 PM

The RX100 Mark II is the best compact for underwater use period. Try to get a Nauticam housing second  hand or even new all other housing do not work so well with wet lenses.
The newer cameras have a 24-70mm lens or even 24-100mm lens that are too short or too wide to use wet lenses some even need ports. Example are the Canon G7X, Panasonic LX100, Sony RX100 Mark III/IV
The video is still pretty good and unless you have a 4K Tv you won't see major differences with the mark IV.
I sold my Mark II housing and camera and I got now a Panasonic GX7 the pictures are the same in dynamic range but the lenses are sharper video wise it is the same of the Mark II. I have also a Mark IV but other than 4K video I am not planning to use it for picture due to to painful 24-70mm lens

I see you are a big fan of the rx series. What do u think about the custom white balance performance on it? (Pretty important for video use) I have no experience with it at all so I'm generally curious after reading very split opinions. I am actually looking into the lx100 right now, but need much more info on them all before I decide.

#7 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1628 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 12:26 AM

Custom white balance doesn't work. you use a filter in auto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#8 Pajjpen

Pajjpen

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 06:36 AM

Not a fan of filters at all. Too much light loss.
Guess the rx series is out of question then

#9 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1628 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 08:45 AM

Filter takes away one stop. You shoot at 1/50 or 1/60 in video and actually it is much more useful to have an ND filter when you have too much light. Compact wise there is nothing better

https://youtu.be/myYj2XFsovw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#10 Pajjpen

Pajjpen

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 10:16 AM

I recently posted in a thread about the lx100, which is the camera I'm leaning towards. Altho I'm not sure about the af problem when using a dome (needed?) getting into manual focus and stuff seems like a big step up from previously just using gopros.