11 replies to this topic

#1 Udo van Dongen

Udo van Dongen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 02:51 AM

Hi All,

Yesterday i noticed on Inon America's website the announcement of the new Z-240 strobe. It has the same compact design as all other Inon Strobes but a higher guide number, 24 meter at ISO 100 in air, instead of 20 meter for the D2000W.

At this moment i'm waiting for my Hugyfot D200 housing with a HeinrichsWeinkamp iTTL converter built in for full TTL compatibility.This combination would work with the D2000W and i suppose it'll also do with the new Z-240. I planned to use the D-2000W combined with my old D-180. But now i know that soon a stronger strobe will be available, i'd prefer to to use this new strobe with my old D180.

My question is: is the difference in guide number (24 meter instead of 20 meter at 100 ISO in air) relevant? I'll use it for macro- and wideanglephotography in both good and poor visibility conditions.

cheers, udo

www.udovandongen.com
Nikon D800, D800E, Hugyfot housing, 15 mm fisheye, 16-35 mm WA, 105mm VR Macro, 60 mm Macro, Subsee +5 an +10 wet diopters, Inon Z-240 strobes (3x), Inon float arms, Nauticam armclamps, Bigblue and Inon focus lights.

check out more photos on the facebook

#2 mattdiver

mattdiver

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Interests:Photography (duh!), billiards, modern architecture.

Posted 26 March 2006 - 04:40 AM

I don't think the higher GN is going to make such a big difference. It's about 20% more, which for an aperture of say F8, means you need to be 1/2ft nearer with a D2000w v/s/ a Z240s, and 1/4ft at F16. Also, Inon America's website mentions you can get 320 shots with a fresh sets of batteries, as compared to more than 500 with a D2000w...

#3 Jolly

Jolly

Lightning Kraut

• PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 10:48 AM

20 to 24 is around half f-stop more, that means roughly about 50% more power from the numbers. I don't know anything about this new strobe, but in terms of guide number, I would choose the new one.
Inon strobes have a pretty bright centre which is nice for macro work. For wideangle, I would definitely recommend the -0.5 diffuser as the bright centre is noticeably eliminated and the light gets softer and a bit warmer. But this costs you about half f-stop. Better to subtract that from 24 IMO.

Julian

edit: I have moved your post into the lightning section.
| Canon 5D I+II / Sealux CC5-GD I+II custom converted | 2x Ikelite DS-125 | ULCS |

#4 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 973 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 26 March 2006 - 01:37 PM

So is this Z240 the "new, more powerful" Inon strobe everyone's been talking about coming out for awhile? Frankly, I was really hoping for something more dramatic (e.g., a strobe that used 8 AAs and had nearly instantaneous recycle time).

I've been really happy with my Z220s, but on the recent Wetpixel Bahamas trip, I got sick and tired of watching Jimmy with his dual S&S120 strobes "machine gunning" the sharks as they passed by. :o :blink: Gave me a definite case of power envy...that I don't think these Z240s will cure... :P :D

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#5 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• Super Mod
  • 2128 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 02:41 PM

So is this Z240 the "new, more powerful" Inon strobe everyone's been talking about coming out for awhile?  Frankly, I was really hoping for something more dramatic (e.g., a strobe that used 8 AAs and had nearly instantaneous recycle time). 

I've been really happy with my Z220s, but on the recent Wetpixel Bahamas trip, I got sick and tired of watching Jimmy with his dual S&S120 strobes "machine gunning" the sharks as they passed by.  :o  :blink:  Gave me a definite case of power envy...that I don't think these Z240s will cure...  :P  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. The small increase in power is not enough for me to consider an upgrade.
Herb Ko http://herbko.net
Canon 5D; Aquatica housing; 2 Inon Z220 strobes; Canon 100mm macro, 17-40mm ; Sigma 15mm FE, 24mm macro, 50mm macro

#6 whatisea

whatisea

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 04:35 PM

Ryan from ReefPhotoVideo had a Z240 to display at his booth at Beneath the Sea this weekend. I understand it is exactly the same as the Z2000Wn except with increased power. Exact same features.

If I owned Z220's I don't think I'd spend the money to upgrade though I must say the diffence between the 2000 and the 240 is signficiant enough to be worth some money.

#7 Jolly

Jolly

Lightning Kraut

• PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 12:17 AM

From the Z-240 specs, I think it is like the Canon EOS 30D. Not worth to upgrade if you have the predecessor (Z220), but a more powerful choice over D2000 models if it is first buy.

Julian
| Canon 5D I+II / Sealux CC5-GD I+II custom converted | 2x Ikelite DS-125 | ULCS |

#8 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:12 AM

Since my Z220 strobes were stolen, I have been looking for replacements. These look very good to me.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#9 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 973 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:08 AM

Since my Z220 strobes were stolen, I have been looking for replacements.  These look very good to me.

Cheers
James

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would think so, James. They appear to be slightly BETTER than the Z220's in the same sized package. Essentially, you have access to slightly more power than the Z220's, but can dial the power down slightly and have essentially the same as Z220's when you don't need that extra. If I didn't have Z220's, I'd be after a pair of these.

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#10 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2056 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:19 AM

It's catching up with a Nikon TTL module that I want (though I'd probably opt for manual most of the time, anyway). Having said that, I had a Z220 failure last year, and managed this shot with one strobe: I'll stick with my Z220s.

Tim

B)

2005_43_Red_Sea.jpg

#11 Udo van Dongen

Udo van Dongen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:20 AM

Thanx for your replies folks,
I already bought a D2000W last week, but i didn't dive with it yet. I'll try to return the D2000W and get the Z-240 instead. Hopefully it'll available at the time my new housing arrives.
My old D180 will be the slave strobe (in manual).

cheers, udo

www.udovandongen.com
Nikon D800, D800E, Hugyfot housing, 15 mm fisheye, 16-35 mm WA, 105mm VR Macro, 60 mm Macro, Subsee +5 an +10 wet diopters, Inon Z-240 strobes (3x), Inon float arms, Nauticam armclamps, Bigblue and Inon focus lights.

check out more photos on the facebook

#12 mikedive

mikedive

Lionfish

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Mini Trucks,....

Posted 29 March 2006 - 11:53 AM

Hi ,

it is not proofed jet if the D240 is kompatible to the fast DSLR protokolls if it is a pulled up Z220 it will be to slow if it is a pulled up D2000w it will work ....... all this in combinaton with the TTL converters ..... I hope to get one next time ..... to test

For my new setup ( E330 ) I planed a Hartenberger 250hs strobe the recycling time will be 0,3 sec full dump 250 W/s ...... after 5 dumps you cannot touch the battery pack, the chargeing konverter sucks about 100 A out of the NICd cells so they will get realy hot ....... and after 10 the flash tube will shine red shortly bevore melting the glas the thermo sensor will block any more flashes til the temperature is low again.

This is a real Flash machinegun for rapid shoting but he price is also high .... about 1450,00 euro.....

it is available in June ore July this year

I first try with two YS60 Speed ...... this are my especialy tuned YS60 stobes to be able to serve a delay of 2 ms ( normaly 30 ms ) they are also able to serve a
optical ( trough Digitaladapter ) Strobe protokoll from Konica/Minolta SLR (5 preflashes... delay, 3 ms and one mainflash )

Michael
Nikon D300 - UK-D300 - different Lenses and Ports - MD04 Ball-Arms , YS 60speed / INON Z240 / Hartenberger hs250 ,and several other parts