• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Walt Stearns

Walt Stearns

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Interests:Diving and underwater photography of course with a little rebreathers, cave diving, marine science and natural history thrown in.

Posted 21 June 2018 - 02:40 PM

I have two Retra strobes that I am putting up for sale. I am only going to sell them as a pair.

Condition: 

Both strobes are in full working order. While one is cosmetically in perfect condition, the other strobe had experienced flooding in the battery compartment during a Cayman Islands trip back in May. The flash was immediately sent into Backscatter for servicing, which their service department where able clean the battery contacts down inside the battery chamber and replace the battery door with a new one. What damaged is still present from the battery acid leakage inside the battery compartment is largely cosmetic through very noticeable discoloration and some micro pitting to the aluminum walls inside the chamber and around the battery contacts, which the contacts themselves shiny and bright, and around the edge of the battery door.  Before sending it back to me, Backscatter had given it both a complete pressure test for watertight integrality, as well as a performance test for light output and recycle time to be sure that everything was working the way it should be. 

I am not sure how it how it happened as I am generally very meticulous in how I prep and care for my equipment, and the fact this strobe is extremely new, but the one thing I can say is that the strobe appeared to have been working just fine (eve recycling a bit faster than the non afflicted strobe) all the way to the end of the dive. 

Both strobes still have well over a year left under Retra’s warrenty. 

Each strobe comes with the following:

Each Retra Flash comes with fiber optic and Sea & Sea connectors

1-inch Mounting ball

Wide-angle diffuser

Neoprene protector

Retra Reduction Rings (SKU: rt-redu-ring, Price $46.00 each) designed to cut down the light pattern, which makes it ideal for reducing backscatter in macro or wide-angle shots.

Pack of 8 (new open box) PowerX 2700 mAh NiMH Batteries

Selling Price: $ 1200 USD. Buyer pays for shipping.

Attached Images

• Retra_1.jpg
  • Retra_2.jpg

#2 Walt Stearns

Walt Stearns

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Interests:Diving and underwater photography of course with a little rebreathers, cave diving, marine science and natural history thrown in.

Posted 24 June 2018 - 04:00 AM

Bumped

#3 Walt Stearns

Walt Stearns

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 04:24 AM

I am somewhat surprise that there has been such little interest in these two strobes I have for sale. When Retra was still making them there was a lot of us waiting as long as 3 months to receive them. Following Retra’s announcement they were discontinuing making them, even more attention was moved to Inon’s new Z-330 strobes, which too is currently going through a long wait period as supply is obviously far lesser than demand with many still waiting to receive their delivery on orders placed as far back as 6 to 8 weeks plus. 

#4 trimix125

trimix125

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 12:50 PM

Hi,
ist a pitty you live in the US.
But here in europe we have to add +30% custom tax on your selling price and the shipping, so it makes no sense ;-((
Regards,
Wolfgang

#5 Walt Stearns

Walt Stearns

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 01:04 PM

Both strobes have been sold to my Canadian neighbor.