• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 smk82

smk82

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 05:51 AM

c6972aff4f227098c2e90ddb09a6ea0f.jpgbaf0f97ee17ff6937e8b4c5f65359276.jpgf6aa14de9f73b5ebb4183e1f54d818c0.jpg

Took these last weekend on our deco stop.. I've not done a bad job lighting up the jelly, but apart from bringing my buddy in closer to get better exposure, what else needs improvement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 Cerianthus

Cerianthus

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 02:27 AM

Not to say I would do it better but there is a bit of back scatter in the right bottom. And it would be nice to include the whole jelly. For the jelly and diver you could try positioning them at opposite sides of the image or in a diagonal.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Gerard

My photo's on flickr
Crop the world ! (Using Canon 70D, 60mm, 100mm, 10-17mm FE, Ikelite)

#3 smk82

smk82

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 02:39 AM

Both good points. My buddy was having some issues with the reel and was also on a single tank only so didn't really have sufficient gas to hang around too long unfortunately.

#4 tursiops

tursiops

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 12:39 PM

He was on a deco stop with a single tank, and he was worried about gas supplies, and you were taking pictures?

#5 smk82

smk82

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 02:43 PM

It was 5m we had a minute to go on safety stop. He had about 70 bar or so. Plenty at that depth. What I meant was that we couldn't have hung around for 20 mins to get the perfect shot. I took 4 fast shots in the time before we ascended..

#6 Grantjpthomas

Grantjpthomas

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Scuba diving, Free diving, Travelling, Conservation and Capturing it all on camera!

Posted 27 August 2016 - 03:14 AM

The last shot is certainly my faviroute. I feel the other two are a bit confusing due to the diver and Jelly overlapping and loosing impact because of this. Next time i would try to have the diver separate and either close enough to light the detail in the face and mask (looking at the subject) or far enough away to create a silhouette. But of course this takes time to set up and put in place. 

The final image of the jelly alone is very nice. Maybe next time you could try get a bit of background interest by including light or detail from the surface (snells window) or a boat etc.... However i know this would then change the view point of your subject so i guess its just what works for your creative vision on the day! 

Happy shooting!

Cheers, 

Grant

Edited by Grantjpthomas, 27 August 2016 - 03:16 AM.

Grant Thomas

(PADI instructor on Tioman Island, Malaysia)

Personal webpage www.facebook.com/GrantThomasPhotos