Jump to content


Photo
- - - - -

Inon Z240 Battery Compartment... Watertight?

Inon Z240

  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sunnyboy010101

sunnyboy010101

    Wolf Eel

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Vancouver Island

Posted 05 May 2018 - 04:10 PM

 

Asking anyone who knows the technical details of the Inon Z240 strobe...

 

Is the battery compartment watertight when the primary (watertight) cap is not on? I had an incident today  diving salt water (ocean) where the cap became dislodged and the battery compartment flooded.

 

While the batteries were of course destroyed, I flushed the battery compartment many times with fresh water, then soaked the strobe in fresh water and finally dried it completely.

 

There seems to be no corrosion on the gold contacts inside the battery compartment, nor on the inner cap that holds the battery contact.

 

Once fully dry I tested  it and the strobe to be water-free and working fine, but I was still  wondering if the technical specs for the Z240 indicate a sealed battery compartment. Sure seems like it to me.

 

Thanks.



#2 okuma

okuma

    Great White

  • Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Anaheim, CA USA

Posted 05 May 2018 - 07:04 PM

No, it is not!

Flooded a 240 when the battery cap incurred a fine hair line crack at the base of the internal inside thread.

Even if it is now operational for you, as any salt water dries, it will leave crystalline residue that will cause electrical shorts.

:(


Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 500, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.


#3 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

    Great Hammerhead

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Playa Herradura-Costa Rica and Sardinia-Italy

Posted 06 May 2018 - 06:10 AM

I also flooded one Z-240 as i was in hurry and the o-ring got pinched and dislodged while srewing on the cap.
To avoid that, lubrificate the yellow o-ring when you feel that he is sticky while screwing on the cap, use just minimum amount of grease and check seating every time you use the strobe!

 

I noticed the error under water when bubbles came out of the battery compartment, so when i came up, everything was black and corroded and i could not recover the strobe.
However , as far i remeber, there was no water inside the strobe, just the battery compartment was totally corroded.

If yours is working, then keep using it!

Chris


Nikon D800 + Sigma 15mm + Nikon 105mm Micro VR + Hugyfot Housing + 3 Inon Z-240 strobes + 2x2 8'' ULCS arms - Panasonic LX100 + Nauticam Housing + SubSea +10 diopter
Nikon D90 + Ikelite housing + Ikelite DS125 strobe (for sale) - Nikon D7000 + Hugyfot housing (for sale) 
Canon G1X + Canon OEM housing (sold) - Canon G12 + Patima aluminium housing  (for sale) - - Fuji E900 + Ikelite housing (for sale)
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website


#4 MarkD

MarkD

    Moray Eel

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Location:Cardiff, Wales, UK

Posted 06 May 2018 - 09:23 AM

Yes, me too. A thread from the Strobe neoprene jacket caught in the O-ring. Salt water rapidly entered the Strobe body itself from the battery compartment. It is not fully sealed. Maybe gas pressure from the short-circuited battery cells is what does it?
Mark

#5 Magrone

Magrone

    Wolf Eel

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 10:09 AM

From what I understand the battery compartment is sealed from the rest of the strobe. But the pressure from flooding the compartment can cause a crack in the compartment resulting in exposure to the rest of the strobe. So I guess it depends on the severity of the flood and how long the batteries are stewing in salt water. I flooded a strobe and it was fine after cleaning it with vinegar. 



#6 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

    Sting Ray

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sydney Australia

Posted 22 June 2018 - 07:34 PM

it is designed to be sealed and I believe the black plastic you can see on the opposite end of the battery compartment is meant to be a pressure relief to prevent excess pressure from gases generated by the batteries when the compartment floods to be vented. 

 

In theory the strobe can survive a battery  compartment flood.  In practice sometimes the pressure gets too high and pushes into the main part of the strobe destroying it or the vent may be damaged.  However if you have washed  all the salt and the strobe works keep using it.  I would guess that it depends on how good the seal around the cables taking power into the main strobe is.  If it survives the pressure you should be fine.



#7 synthetic

synthetic

    Wolf Eel

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Glendale, CA

Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:43 AM

I have flooded my Z220 battery compartment twice over the years and they were fine once I threw out the batteries and cleaned out the compartment. The inner contacts are gold, I wish the outer ones were also. 

 

I found that the main cause was the O-ring getting pinched when screwing it down. Now I not only lube the O-ring, but I run a finger around the inside of the cap where it contacts. Since I started doing that a few years ago I haven't had a problem. 


---------
Jeff Laity -- Underwater Gallery
Canon 5Dmk4, Nauticam Housing, Inon Z-220 strobes


#8 bvanant

bvanant

    Sperm Whale

  • Team Wetpixel
  • 1892 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Los Angeles (more or less)
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 29 June 2018 - 10:22 AM

Unlike Jeff, my flooded Z240 pushed water everywhere into the strobe. Not sure why, but this version was not sealed.

Bill


Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net


#9 Magrone

Magrone

    Wolf Eel

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 10:06 AM

Lubing the o ring on a regular basis is important not only to prevent pinches when screwing them down, but to prevent the o-ring from breaking from the twisting pressure. I heard a pop when I was underwater one time and noticed the strobe stopped firing and then the red light  went out. When I got out I saw that the o-ring had burst and the battery compartment was flooded. However, I rinsed the compartment with fresh water and went over the contacts with vinegar and the strobe recovered just fine. 



#10 marcw

marcw

    Wolf Eel

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 01 July 2018 - 07:11 AM

Lubing the o ring on a regular basis is important not only to prevent pinches when screwing them down, but to prevent the o-ring from breaking from the twisting pressure. I heard a pop when I was underwater one time and noticed the strobe stopped firing and then the red light  went out. When I got out I saw that the o-ring had burst and the battery compartment was flooded. However, I rinsed the compartment with fresh water and went over the contacts with vinegar and the strobe recovered just fine. 

what do you mean the o-ring burst?



#11 Magrone

Magrone

    Wolf Eel

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 08:31 AM

The o-ring had been severed from the twisting pressure... Im assuming thats the pop that I heard, because the strobe itself was fine.





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Inon Z240