• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bondo

bondo

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 04:49 PM

I shot this photo near Alor Indonesia. I think the fish is a Canthigaster valentini. But I have no idea what the "eyelash" thingies are. Some of the fish had them, some only had one and others didn't have them.
More on the fish can be found at http://fishbase.sini...ary.php?id=6544
Any idea of what they are would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Images

• alor2_186.jpg
  • alor2_187.jpg

Mike Bonnicksen
www.manfishphoto.com
Canon EOS 20D, Ike Housing, 10-22, 60 and 100mm macro lens, Ikelite DS-125 and DS-50, Woody's diopter

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 04:56 PM

Ow, that's got to hurt! I'm sure Leslie will have something to say, but to me they look like a kind of parasitic copepod found on other fish like anchovies, etc. I think the long streamers are the gills or the reproductive organs.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 06:45 PM

Copepod would be my guess as well.

here is a good link with lots to read about different types crustacion parasites.
William

Canon 5D Ikelite Housing and strobes
15FE | 24/2.8 | 35/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 150/2.8 macro

#4 Leslie

Leslie

Worm Girl

• Critter Expert
  • 1816 posts
  • Interests:marine inverts (especially polychaetes), micro- and macrophotography

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:06 PM

You guys are right. Parasitic copepods; the trailing strings are egg sacs. That's a great link William - thanks for putting it up.

#5 bondo

bondo

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 04:59 PM

Thanks for the great information. The dive guide tried to tell me some BS story that they were false eyes- like some of the spots on fish-- but that didn't make much sense to me, being that they were right next to the eyes-- I knew I could figure out what it was though, with a post to Wetpixel. Thanks again.

Mike
Mike Bonnicksen
www.manfishphoto.com
Canon EOS 20D, Ike Housing, 10-22, 60 and 100mm macro lens, Ikelite DS-125 and DS-50, Woody's diopter

#6 Skeartes

Skeartes

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:48 AM

Hi bondo, id love to do a blog post on this. If you are interested in me featuring your images on Earthtouchnews dot com please shoot me an email skeartes at earthtouchsa dot com