1 reply to this topic

#1 water buffalo

water buffalo

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:06 AM

Ikelite announcement

Not really an announcement, more of a statement. If you are looking for one there are still a few around (eBay, Amazon, etc.).

Looks like I ordered one just in time. Makes me sad to think this will probably be my last housing. $800 for a port just ain't gonna happen even if it can be used with multiple lenses.

So far the D500 is the only camera I see the message under. Maybe there is just a problem with the system and I am overreacting?

What do you think? Did I miss some news somewhere or is my favorite budget housing manufacturer going high end?

Edited by water buffalo, 09 October 2017 - 11:14 AM.

Nikon D300 & D70s, Ikelite housings, DS-125

#2 K9Shadow

K9Shadow

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:17 PM

I just looked and they have discontinued the 5d four lock housing as well. When I saw the release of the new dry lock system I knew the days were numbered for the old system. I understand all of the benefits of the new system and if they did not go forward with it they would have lost out. Today’s lenses are getting big as we are demanding better quality glass and those just don’t fit the smaller diameter of the old system. The bummer for us Ikelite fans is now the need to replace our ports with the next housing purchase. For me that would still be far less expensive than buying an aluminum housing and the ports and zoom rings to go with it. But as I just set myself up with a 5d3 I won’t be purchasing another housing for some time.