• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:26 PM

Recently I bought a TTL flash trigger to install in my 1-year-old Nauticam NA-D810 housing.  (For Nikon D810).   Reason: eliminate need for pop-up flash to optically trigger strobes.  Problem to be solved: pop-up flash cannot recycle quickly enough for me, nor keep up with the potential shooting speed of the strobes.

OK - seems like a good plan.  Bought the trigger from Bluewater Photo, and recently tried to install it.

PROBLEM:  The installation instructions do not match my housing, and I cannot see how to install this trigger.   Specifically the instructions show the Nauticam's prism held in by a couple of screws, and I'm supposed to unscrew those, remove the prism, and then find a couple of other mounting hole (for the trigger) under the prism.

BUT, my housing has no screws holding on the prism!  I think the design has been changed by Nauticam, and it looks like the prism is glued on.

Can anyone confirm Nauticam glues prisms on, at least in some housings?   Anyone run into this on the NA-D810 housing specifically.

Bluewater isn't much help.   They punted and asked me to ask Nauticam about this - I think they tried to ask and didn't get an answer.

I'm about to return the trigger, rather than just take a leap of faith and possibly break the prism trying to get it out, such that I can't put it back together.

Leaving for Roatan in 1 1/2 weeks.

#2 Pavel Kolpakov

Pavel Kolpakov

Moray Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:Underwater photo

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:51 PM

Prism is glued very slightly on the black plastic podium. It is like a sticker, easy to delete it. Pick up the prism by a sharp knife. After deleting the prism you will see 2 bolts of podium mount. Unscrew bolts and delete the podium.

If you mean UWTechnics TTL converter, it must be mounted directly to metal, to the same screw holes.

Edited by Pavel Kolpakov, 05 September 2017 - 02:54 PM.

#3 phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 03:09 PM

I'm extremely hesitant to try to pry off the prism.   If the glue is strong, I will break something.   I think I will wait until after my Roatan trip next week to try any modification.   But thanks for your reply!   DId you do this to an NA-D810 housing yourself?

#4 Pavel Kolpakov

Pavel Kolpakov

Moray Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:26 PM

I'm extremely hesitant to try to pry off the prism.   If the glue is strong, I will break something.   I think I will wait until after my Roatan trip next week to try any modification.   But thanks for your reply!   DId you do this to an NA-D810 housing yourself?

I did it for many Nauticam housings. Some of them had bolts under the glued prism, some of them had bolts available directly. In both cases very easy to uninstall that prism podium.

Edited by Pavel Kolpakov, 11 September 2017 - 11:29 PM.

#5 phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:20 AM

I did it for many Nauticam housings. Some of them had bolts under the glued prism, some of them had bolts available directly. In both cases very easy to uninstall that prism podium.

I wish I could see a video on youtube of the process.  I'm just very worried I'll make the housing unusable for flash - and I leave for Roatan tomorrow.   I think I'll take the trigger along, in case I run into someone who has done or at least seen the process.  I'm mostly worried that I'll pull the prism off, find that there are no mounting holes that fit my trigger, and then not be able to remount the prism.  (Especially if I break it).   Since I'll be there two weeks, I might get brave enough to try the install over the middle weekend.   And I'll bring my spare camera/housing...

#6 DocTock

DocTock

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:55 PM

Hopefully you brought the flash unit with you! This is a SUPER easy task!

Pavel is correct - and an awesome source of info! 

I just did the same upgrade - also purchased the UWTechnics unit from Bluewater.

Of note, the hex bolts were under the mirror (it seems more like a mirror than a prism). You can almost see them if you lift the front half of the housing and try to look at the bottom/ under the mirror. My mirror was barely glued on in my NA-D800 housing. The mirror even moved when I placed the hex wrench into the left side hex-head that holds the base/ podium.

My greatest difficulty was actually the initial loosening of the original pair of bolts (2.5mm hex wrench).

Installed and ready to test tomorrow!

(Thanks again Pavel for all of your assistance and patient messages!)

Edited by DocTock, 18 September 2017 - 06:01 PM.

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

#7 phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 03:46 PM

Well...  I managed to miss my flight on Saturday, so instead of spending two weeks in Roatan I'm only able to spend one now.   But that means I had more time to look into this before going diving.   Today I got the courage to attempt to pry the mirror/prism off.

And I failed.

That sucker is really glued on there!   I tried prying it up with a screwdriver and managed to just scrape paint off the housing.  Didn't want to crank on it so hard that the glass would break - I might have to glue it back on if the (hoped-for) screw holes are not present under the prism.

If I had tried to use a butter knife it would probably have bent the knife.  That's how strongly this prism is mounted.  It has to be glued because there is no way to get at any screws and none are visible.   What really concerns me is that Nauticam changed the housing design and eliminated the mounting holes.  (Why bother machining them if you are just going to glue the prism on anyway?)

So I think at this point I'm risking permanent damage to the prism with no guarantee there is a way to mount the flash trigger and no way to put the system back to a working condition.   Since I leave for Roatan at 5am Saturday I'm not going to risk this now.   I'll take the trigger with me in case there is someone there who has dealt with this before, or if some miracle information/procedure comes up.   But it's very frustrating, and I'm probably going to return my useless $400 flash trigger to Bluewater Photo.

#8 Pavel Kolpakov

Pavel Kolpakov

Moray Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:37 AM

I can make a video to help you, when come back from diving after a week.

Installation is very easy.

Edited by Pavel Kolpakov, 24 September 2017 - 11:15 PM.