6 replies to this topic

#1 bmemike

bmemike

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:47 PM

I'll try to articulate my issue as best as possible -

1) I'm currently shooting a 30D, but expect to be receiving a 5D II in one to two weeks time (on pre-order)
2) For lenses that can go "wide", I have the 17-85IS and 24-70 f2.8L
3) I'm using Ikelite and have the dedicated 17-85 port - the 24-70 diameter is too large for the Ike system according to their charts
4) I'm not a super fan of the 17-85 (only using it when underwater and not shooting macro) and will eventually upgrade my u/w gear to house the 5D II

Given all that, I'm looking for a wide option that I can put behind an 8" port that I can optimally carry over from the 30D to the 5D II (thus ruling out the Tok 10-17). I'd like to not have too much overlap with the 24-70 2.8 since it's a great lens and I'd like to minimize the glass I have dedicated to topside vs underwater shooting. I don't have any real aversion to primes if they offer the right mix of benefits.

I'm going to be in the Bahamas in Feb and figure I should upgrade my wide options. While I tend to consider myself more of a macro guy, it seems dumb not to have a good wide setup down there.

Any help will be greatly (widely?) appreciated!!

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 06:14 PM

Well for starters, the 17-85 will not mount on the 5DII as it's an EF-S lens. Also, it will be hard to get a wide lens that does not overlap the 24-70 unless you get a 20mm prime.

With that said some excellent choices for FF are the 17-40L as a wide zoom, the 100mm macro, and the 150mm macro (Sigma). For fisheye, you'll want a 15mm Sigma or Canon.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 HuskyFan

HuskyFan

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 06:36 PM

I'm in a similar dilemma - and I've found many mixed reviews on the 17-40L IQ. I'll be following this thread with interest and with the hopes people with the 5D mkII add their experiences to it.

I'm heading to Hornby Island to see the Seal Lions next March, and then to the Galapagos next fall, so finding a good wide angle zoom for my 5D is a priority for me now. Along the same lines as the original poster, does the 17-40mm offer enough range for the majority of the critters/situations I'll see there? Thanks.

#4 bmemike

bmemike

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 06:39 PM

Well for starters, the 17-85 will not mount on the 5DII as it's an EF-S lens. Also, it will be hard to get a wide lens that does not overlap the 24-70 unless you get a 20mm prime.

With that said some excellent choices for FF are the 17-40L as a wide zoom, the 100mm macro, and the 150mm macro (Sigma). For fisheye, you'll want a 15mm Sigma or Canon.

Yeah, I know the 17-85 won't be an option on the 5DII. I only use it at this point on my 30D while shooting underwater. I'm much happier using the 24-70 when I need something in that range than the 17-85 (despite the reduced weight and IS).

I already have the 100mm macro - absolutely love it. Overall I shoot more with this lens than any other.

I'll take a look at the two 15mm fisheyes. I see that they're both similarly priced and f2.8. The Sigma has a shorter min focus distance. Are there any other major considerations between the two (such as corner sharpness)?

#5 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 07:45 PM

Nope. I shoot the Sigma and can't find fault w/ it.

The 17-40L is Canon's "cheapest" wide zoom. It's L glass, but only F4 - but that's OK because I seldom want to shoot wideangle as faster apertures. It is hard to set up properly in a dome, and if you shoot below F11 or so, you'll have soft corners when shooting underwater. But you'll probably have that with most wideangle zoom lenses underwater.

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#6 bmemike

bmemike

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:03 PM

Any comments on the AF speed of either 15mm - sigma or canon?

Both being f2.8 is a huge bonus to AF speed for sure, but I noticed that neither are USM/HSM.

#7 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:28 AM

The AF speed for these lenses is a moot point. The lenses have such a short focal length and HUGE depth of field - and the lens elements move only millimeters when focusing.

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes