13 replies to this topic

#1 bmorescuba

bmorescuba

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:Critter ID, Pit Bull Rescue

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:23 PM

I'm guessing this is something very common. I've noticed my Nauticam flat port (which is fairly old at this point and has seen a lot of action) has a "cloudiness" when viewed at a certain angle. Cloudiness is not exactly the right term, but hopefully the attached image explains this better. This does not seem to affect image sharpness very much, but it does have me wondering. I'm pretty faithful about fresh water rinses, but this port has been through a lot, getting wet, drying, getting wet, etc. If you view the port glass head on, this is not visible. If you view it at an angle, it's quite apparent. I'd like to know what causes this, what it's called, prevention, fixes, inevitability - really any information would be helpful. One note - I have thoroughly cleaned both sides of the glass with a lens-safe cleaning cloth - whatever this is, it doesn't come off that way :)

Thanks!

port glass cloudiness not visible

port1.jpg

sane port glass with reflected light, cloudiness visible

port2.jpg

Brian Cole | Flickr Sets

#2 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2183 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:53 PM

I had a similar problem some years ago with a Subal port which seemed to have gone "hazy". The conclusion was that something had damaged the glass - although not something you could feel. Although looking back, it could have been mould. Whatever, I tried all sorts of things to get it off with no success.

The solution was to replace the glass - not horrendously expensive (at least not compared to the cost of the port). I was very fortunate that someone I knew could actually do the necessary job which involved prizing the glass out then reseating a new piece of glass with accompanying o-rings. 

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#3 trimix125

trimix125

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:45 PM

Hi,
what you can try is

SONAX PROFILINE GlassPolish

Have done this with a Nauticam macro port for the m43.
Use a Dremel, takes long time....
And you should cool from time to time...
The Dremel and the port...

Regards,
Wolfgang

#4 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2183 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:27 AM

Hi,
what you can try is

SONAX PROFILINE GlassPolish

Have done this with a Nauticam macro port for the m43.
Use a Dremel, takes long time....
And you should cool from time to time...
The Dremel and the port...

Regards,
Wolfgang

Worth a try for sure!

Presumably you're grinding off a layer of glass, Wolfgang? Or should I say polishing off.....

Tim

#5 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:15 AM

Thats salt damage from not washing and cleaning the front of the port correctly and leaving it to dry on its own (which has then left the salty deposits)

Once I've given the housing a good wash and then I use a lint-free microfibre cloth to wipe away the excess off any glass elements, I then use alcohol free spec cleaning wipes (the wet type) to give the glass parts a good clean.

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, ScubaLamp V6K Pro Lighting

www.richardwait.com

#6 trimix125

trimix125

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:58 AM

Hi Tim,
yes polishing.
Long time work, but was worth it.
As long there is no coating on the glas!

Regards,
Wolfgang

#7 Stig

Stig

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:20 AM

I'd suggest cleaning with vinegar before resorting to glass polish.  I had a similar 'bloom' on mine (perhaps not quite as bad) and vigorous rubbing with alcohol and then vinegar seemed to improve, if not eliminate, it.

#8 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:57 AM

Me too consider this blind spots as water spots and i guess they influence picture quality!
i have them on my Nauticam houing, but not on my front glass as i wash and dry it after every use.
Be careful with glass cleaners, they ruined the o-ring holding the glass in position and i needed to change the o-ring.
While mounting the o-ring the glass jumped out and scattered on the floor, so no glass too...
price for glass and o-ring was about 100$ and some bad words when installing the o-ring as it's somehow tricky (you may order a few spare o-rings)
I would try with vinegar to clean the glass, if still cloudy just get a new one and clean and dry it after every dive.

Chris

Nikon D800 + Sigma 15mm + Nikon 105mm Micro VR + Hugyfot Housing + 3 Inon Z-240 strobes + 2x2 8'' ULCS arms - Panasonic LX100 + Nauticam Housing + SubSea +10 diopter
Nikon D90 + Ikelite housing + Ikelite DS125 strobe (for sale) - Nikon D7000 + Hugyfot housing (for sale) 
Canon G1X + Canon OEM housing (sold) - Canon G12 + Patima aluminium housing  (for sale) - - Fuji E900 + Ikelite housing (for sale)
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#9 Pajjpen

Pajjpen

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 02:00 AM

Isn't it just regular waterspots? U will most likely get them to some extent eventually, but I doubt it shows in pictures, do they?

Skickat från min VTR-L29 via Tapatalk

#10 Undertow

Undertow

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 10:09 AM

So I think I can claim tentative success with this after some research and choosing Mothers Chrome Polish.

3 x 15min applications later and all of this etched blotchiness is finally gone. Did put some proper effort into this, scrubbing quite vigorously. 

I've had this dome (Aquatica Megadome) for about 10yrs and was pretty bad about giving it proper care. It would sit salty on the boat in the sun for hours on end on a regular basis. I never wiped it dry after rinsing etc. 

In the second photo, you can see the leftover blotchiness right by the hotspot. This is because I didn't scrub properly all the way to the tape (used to protect the o-ring). I might try another application to get a bit further down.

The rest of the dome looks fantastic. 

However my secondary issue is the optical coating on the inside is wearing off (you can barely see as 'streaks' just to the left of the visible blotchiness). So I have to decide if I do an application on the inside to clear it. Not sure its necessary though. 

_DSC0382.jpg

IMG_7128.jpg

Cheers,

Chris

#11 bmorescuba

bmorescuba

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:Critter ID, Pit Bull Rescue

Posted 25 June 2018 - 12:29 PM

I thought I would let everyone know that I followed some of the advice left here and worked the port glass with alternating alcohol, vinegar, and water for a good while. All the cloudiness is basically gone and it looks almost new. I appreciate the advice - I was already shopping for a used replacement and vinegar is a lot cheaper... I have also altered my cleaning routine and will try to not only rinse, but wipe with a wet lens cloth and dry after being in salt water. Thanks, everyone!

Brian Cole | Flickr Sets

#12 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2183 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:33 PM

I thought I would let everyone know that I followed some of the advice left here and worked the port glass with alternating alcohol, vinegar, and water for a good while. All the cloudiness is basically gone and it looks almost new. I appreciate the advice - I was already shopping for a used replacement and vinegar is a lot cheaper... I have also altered my cleaning routine and will try to not only rinse, but wipe with a wet lens cloth and dry after being in salt water. Thanks, everyone!

Good news - well done! It's amazing what vinegar will shift. 

Tim

#13 Gudge

Gudge

Tiger Shark

• Team Wetpixel
  • 589 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 01:44 PM

Mothers California Gold Water Spot Remover For Glass cleaned up my ports nicely, it's polish combined with mineral dissolving agents :

11255f868701864b8dc97e95caa4b5a911cf9af2

https://motherspolis...or-glass-355ml/

Edited by Gudge, 26 June 2018 - 03:23 PM.

Canon 7D MkII, Nauticam NA-7DMKII housing, 2 x Inon Z240, 2 x Ikelite DS160, Tokina 10-17, Canon 60 & 100 macro, Sigma 150 macro, Kenko 1.X Teleconverters.

UW Photo Courses

#14 ashleeruss

ashleeruss

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Boudoir photography

https://ashleeruss.com/

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:40 AM

I use water in a soft cotton cloth or baby wipes work too. They say vinegar is also a good solution.

Boudoir photography

Hello. I'm Ashlee Russ. I believe all stages of womanhood need to be celebrated and I want to provide you with an opportunity of feeling empowered, beautiful, and feeling like you have a new friend in me. Boudoir photographer.