#41 TomR1

TomR1

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:06 AM

Blind Diver--

Summing this all up.....

Macro or Wide--As Alex says, you need better vision for macro. Is your vision good enough even with a magnifier for macro? And do you want to shoot serious macro? If the answer is yes then find out if Backscatter can mount a viewfinder on the Ikelite housing. If Backscatter can NOT then rule out the Ikelite. In either case a magnifying viewfinder will add $900USD to the overall cost. Can you afford that cost plus a 60mm lens and still afford an aluminum housing that can use your INON S2000 strobe?

I think you need those answers before proceeding.

Looking at your pictures I think you'll prefer wide angle and fish portrates. Macro requires sharp eyes to find the little critters and quick hand-eye coordination to hit the shutter when the critter is in the exact pose you want. My eyesight is corrected 20-20 and I still have trouble with this even using autofocus.

Regards,

Tom

#42 TomR1

TomR1

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:11 AM

Update:

Backscatter thinks an INON magnifier can work on an Ikelite D-700 housing. ( I called)

Tom

#43 dirtydave

dirtydave

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:50 AM

Johnspierce is right on. Back when you kept a camera/housing combo for ten years it made sense (maybe) to get an aluminum housing. Now when cameras change evry 2-3 years (or less) an Ikelite housing makes far more sense. They are more rugged than requied (if you are banging your housing around enough to crack an Ikelite housing you're doing something wrong) and have the advantages of low cost , good ergonomics and ability to see o-rings.

I've seen more aluminum housings leak because the owner didn't seal them properly than Ikelite housings. Some of the cheaper housings seem to have poor orings/surfaces so they seem to leak occasionally.

Add to this the great customer support that Ikelite is famous for and you have a winner. No contest in my world.

#44 Balrog

Balrog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:22 AM

Blind Diver. Is your eyesight good enough to use a monocular viewfinder or would you intend to use the Live View feature of the D7000.

If you are using the viewfinder then investment in the brightest and largest one you can find would seem to make sense. Some research will be needed but I believe many of them can be retro fitted to other housing makes including Ike.

#45 Blind diver

Blind diver

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:10 AM

Blind Diver. Is your eyesight good enough to use a monocular viewfinder or would you intend to use the Live View feature of the D7000.

If you are using the viewfinder then investment in the brightest and largest one you can find would seem to make sense. Some research will be needed but I believe many of them can be retro fitted to other housing makes including Ike.

On land if it is daylight i can see the viewfinder in dark conditions not.

I have gget the price for an ikelite and nauticam housing + z-240strobes and arms + tokina 10-17 + nikon 60mm macro + ports

Nauticam + viewfinder : 8,315.20

Ikelite + inon viewfinder (if it can be attached ) : 6,442.95

Thats a difference off +- 1800

#46 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:28 AM

On land if it is daylight i can see the viewfinder in dark conditions not.

I have gget the price for an ikelite and nauticam housing + z-240strobes and arms + tokina 10-17 + nikon 60mm macro + ports

Nauticam + viewfinder : 8,315.20

Ikelite + inon viewfinder (if it can be attached ) : 6,442.95

Thats a difference off +- 1800

Assuming you don't upgrade for 4 years, which I think is pretty reasonable to expect with a camera of the calibre of a D7000, is it worth $450 per year to you?
I think it's important to emphasize, it's not about whether the box is made of plastic or aluminum - it's really about design which translates to ergonomics.
Now the best thing if you can; is hold both in your hands. Probably don't have to be same camera, just same housing brand.
See how you like the ergonomics of both brands, they are very different. I think ergonomics may be another factor that is more critical for you.
Also I would advise trying both viewfinders, there's a big difference between the different brands on the market.

Edited by loftus, 21 December 2010 - 04:31 AM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#47 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:39 AM

Johnspierce is right on. Back when you kept a camera/housing combo for ten years it made sense (maybe) to get an aluminum housing. Now when cameras change evry 2-3 years (or less) an Ikelite housing makes far more sense. They are more rugged than requied (if you are banging your housing around enough to crack an Ikelite housing you're doing something wrong) and have the advantages of low cost , good ergonomics and ability to see o-rings.

I've seen more aluminum housings leak because the owner didn't seal them properly than Ikelite housings. Some of the cheaper housings seem to have poor orings/surfaces so they seem to leak occasionally.

Add to this the great customer support that Ikelite is famous for and you have a winner. No contest in my world.

I guess seeing housings leak, as you and I have seen, due to o-rings, is pretty subjective in terms of keeping score. However one thing that does happen with Ikelite and not with aluminum, is Ikelite have been seen and reported (I've seen one) to actually crack and subsequently leak. Obviously each individual has to decide what they can afford etc, but there are reasons that Ikelite is cheaper.

Edited by loftus, 21 December 2010 - 06:34 AM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#48 dirtydave

dirtydave

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:08 AM

I think the reason ikelite is lessexpensive is that maching an aluminum block is way more expensive than a molded plastic box. Ikelite uses a fairly universal box that only needs a few controls added to customize it for a particular camera. The parts for the Ikelite are simple and can be customized by any reasonably handy user. The maintenance is minimal and leaks, in my experience, are invariably user error. Add in the ability to use ttl ( for those who like that) is included in the reasonable purchase price. While I do hope they include optical firing ability soon, this will probably require a housing redesigned and would make the whole rig larger.

again, my main point was that digital cameras are traded or sold frequently. A newer, better design is just over the horizon and most of us seem to trade every 2-3 years(or more often if we have tolerant wives). Why buy a housing that can last a hundred years when you'll get rid of it in two? Just my two cents worth.

#49 sharky1961

sharky1961

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:31 AM

Hallo Blinddiver,
I really would advice you to go to "Der Boot" in Düsseldorf (Germany) held from 22 -30 January 2011.
http://www.boot.de/c...meine_Info.html

This is a very big exhibion for all kind of watersports. Also for diving and you can see, feel, hold and compare all the different underwaterhousings of all major brands yourselve. It really is worth the effort and travelling because you can get so much advice in the net wich cannot be compared by the information you get when you are really seeing and holding the housings yourselves. You will see that a magnifying viewfinder is really worth the extra money.

just my 2 cents

Rob

Nikon D800 in Seacam D800,  Nikon 16mm, 16-35mm, , 60mm, 105mm,1.4 and 2x TC, 2x Sea&Sea 110a, 2x Seacam Seaflash 150

#50 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:38 AM

Hallo Blinddiver,
I really would advice you to go to "Der Boot" in Düsseldorf (Germany) held from 22 -30 January 2011.
http://www.boot.de/c...meine_Info.html

This is a very big exhibion for all kind of watersports. Also for diving and you can see, feel, hold and compare all the different underwaterhousings of all major brands yourselve. It really is worth the effort and travelling because you can get so much advice in the net wich cannot be compared by the information you get when you are really seeing and holding the housings yourselves. You will see that a magnifying viewfinder is really worth the extra money.

just my 2 cents

Rob

Totally second that; I think your situation makes things like the viewfinder and housing ergonomics much more important.

#51 TomR1

TomR1

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:05 PM

Agree with Loftus and Rob.

Regards,

#52 Bent C

Bent C

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:09 AM

The much acclaimed Ikelite customer service might be something to consider if you are situated in the US. Outside US costly transport charges will quickly make that customer service less available, and that, in combination with long transport times, makes every service situation somewhat frustrating. Ikelite has, in my view, several merits, but the customer service is not that big a pro if you are outside US. I will not purchase another Ike housing before Ike has service options in Europe.

Best regards

Bent
Bent Christensen
Nauticam and Canon 7D
http://bentmedia.me

#53 Blind diver

Blind diver

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:33 AM

If i would go for the nauticam housing which viewfinder do you recomend ?

I have been looking at the inon 45 degree viewfinder and the nauticam 180 degree viewfinder.

Is the inon viewfinder good, can you see the complete picture ?
Or is the 180 from nauticam better ?

#54 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8374 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:36 AM

The Nauticam 180 has an adjustable dioptre - which I would expect to be very beneficial for you.
Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#55 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:27 AM

Hi Blind Diver.

I bought a Inon 180 Viewfinder off a friend for my Aquatica as she sold it very cheap. But it was going to cost $300 from reef photo to get the adapter for it to fit. I ended up buying the Nauticam after i sold the Inon. Just after I bought the Nauticam I saw and purchased a once used Aquatica Aquaview VF off ebay for less than half price. I compared the two Viewfinders and I end up keeping the Nautciam Vf as it felt better to use and lined up with my eye better. I dont need adjustment as i wear contacts underwater but the dioptre adjustment might help you out. Also a nice bright focus light for when you buy the 60mm Macro.

Regards Mark
Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing called "Deedee", Tokina 10-17,Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Ikelite DS161

http://www.flickr.co...s/22898788@N04/

#56 john70490

john70490

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:32 AM

The much acclaimed Ikelite customer service might be something to consider if you are situated in the US. Outside US costly transport charges will quickly make that customer service less available, and that, in combination with long transport times, makes every service situation somewhat frustrating. Ikelite has, in my view, several merits, but the customer service is not that big a pro if you are outside US. I will not purchase another Ike housing before Ike has service options in Europe.

Best regards

Bent

I have to disagree with Bent on this. Shipping to Indianapolis is not cheap but Ikelite's turn-around time is, in my experience, very short and return shipping to Sweden very fast, usually only two days, by DHLR. Also, Ikelite will move you to the top of the list if you can give them a good reason, like an overseas trip in the near future. A service centre in Europe would only reduce the shipping cost by about 10%. For example, a 2 kilo parcel costs 298 Swedish Crowns within Europe, 328 outside Europe - and I doubt very much if you would save more than two days at the most in total turn-around time.

Edited by john70490, 22 December 2010 - 02:46 AM.

Olympus E-MP1, 14-42mm and Micro 60mm lenses, Olympus PT-EP06 housing with standard port, dual Sea & Sea YS-01 strobes, La Luz Optics L-800 and Light-For-Me 3XML video lights.
Web album: http://johngulliver.smugmug.com/

#57 john70490

john70490

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:45 AM

Also a nice bright focus light for when you buy the 60mm Macro.
Regards Mark

I second that. I can recommend a Fisheye FIX LED500 DX if you can afford it. It's expensive but much better than any of the many other focus lights I've owned and in your situation you probably need the best. In fact, I would personally prioritise the focus light over a second lens and port. Actually, if your waters are as murky as ours, as I suspect they are, I think you'll find yourself using the 60mm macro lens almost all the time and the Tokina 10-17mm hardly at all except on your trips to the Red Sea.

Olympus E-MP1, 14-42mm and Micro 60mm lenses, Olympus PT-EP06 housing with standard port, dual Sea & Sea YS-01 strobes, La Luz Optics L-800 and Light-For-Me 3XML video lights.

#58 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:34 AM

I have to disagree with Bent on this. Shipping to Indianapolis is not cheap but Ikelite's turn-around time is, in my experience, very short and return shipping to Sweden very fast, usually only two days, by DHLR. Also, Ikelite will move you to the top of the list if you can give them a good reason, like an overseas trip in the near future. A service centre in Europe would only reduce the shipping cost by about 10%. For example, a 2 kilo parcel costs 298 Swedish Crowns within Europe, 328 outside Europe - and I doubt very much if you would save more than two days at the most in total turn-around time.

Service may be important; but then I've never needed service on either my Subal housing or Inon strobes. Subtronic is another story. So my preference is to buy a brand that rarely needs it.

#59 john70490

john70490

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:18 AM

Service may be important; but then I've never needed service on either my Subal housing or Inon strobes. Subtronic is another story. So my preference is to buy a brand that rarely needs it.

Do you mean that the control o-rings in Subal housings never wear or dry out? Surely, Subal housings need regular servicing as much as Ikelite (or any other) housings do? Sea & Sea housings certainly need servicing every year or two in my experience. I'd have thought not having your housing serviced was asking for trouble.

Edited by john70490, 22 December 2010 - 05:58 AM.

#60 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 05:10 AM

Do you mean that the control o-rings in Subal housings never wear or dry out? Surely, Subal housings need regular servicing as much as Ikelite (or any other) housings do? Sea & Sea housings certainly need servicing every year or two in my experience. I'd have thought not having your housing served was asking for trouble.

No, but service like that really does not have to be done by the manufacturer, easily done yourself if you are so inclined or at the nearest underwater equipment sales and service place. My Subal does not go back to Austria for that type of service. It's really manufacturer repairs like strobes in particular that can be a PITA like with Subtronic. (At least in the US)

Edited by loftus, 22 December 2010 - 05:14 AM.