I want to downgrade

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Leslie

Leslie

Worm Girl

• Critter Expert
  • 1816 posts
  • Interests:marine inverts (especially polychaetes), micro- and macrophotography

Posted 04 October 2008 - 01:34 PM

My canon 5D is clearly overkill for my primary use - macro through a dissecting microscope. I hardly use any of the functions and it's too big & heavy for my current set-up. It's time to sell or swap it for something else. Any suggestions for something smaller and lighter? I want to stick with canon as I love my MPe-65 lens.

#2 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 03:18 PM

The 5D II sounds perfect.. :)

But more seriously, I would go with a 40D. Not a lot smaller, but cheaper. And it has live view which is wonderful for microscope work.
William

Canon 5D Ikelite Housing and strobes
15FE | 24/2.8 | 35/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 150/2.8 macro

#3 Leslie

Leslie

Worm Girl

• Critter Expert
  • 1816 posts
  • Interests:marine inverts (especially polychaetes), micro- and macrophotography

Posted 04 October 2008 - 04:38 PM

Having live view again would be fabulous. Smaller is important though. My wrists are seriously screwed up right now so weight is an issue.

#4 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 05:22 PM

The 40D isn't smaller than the 5D really. The Rebel Xsi is supposed to have all the image quality but at a smaller size and lower price. Perhaps give it a try at Costco and see if you like it?

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#5 HuskyFan

HuskyFan

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 07:12 PM

at the risk of stating the obvious - you'll lose the full frame capability. But the 50D and the 40D are great cameras... The Rebel series are significantly smaller and lighter. All should work with your existing lenses.

Best of Luck,
Robert

#6 stever

stever

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 08:13 PM

the crop frame cameras will result in longer working distance with the 65, but the 40D and 50D aren't really different in size than the 5D. The Rebels offer the same advantage in working distance while being smaller and lighter and probably don't have any real disadvantage for your purposes, although i'd assume you want the highest resolution available.

#7 Leslie

Leslie

Worm Girl

• Critter Expert
  • 1816 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:42 AM

Thanks guys. I figure 90% of usage for my camera is on the microscope, 5% on a camera stand with the mpe-65 and 5% regular shots so working distance isn't a big consideration. James recommended a Rebel too, the Xsi, so I'm going to take a look at that. Having live view for scope work is a real plus.