Photo
- - - - -

How to charge a "major" sports equip manufacturer?? Not dive related.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1375 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:34 AM

So a company exec of a fairly major sporting line (not Nike big but products are used in Pro Leagues) happened across my website and asked if I would be interested in a "location shoot of their products in action?"  Ha! He assumes I actually know what I am doing and shooting underwater has anything to do with shooting on dryland.  They are sending me a story board of what they are thinking of, so I think I can hash out the shots needed.  Probably 2-3 days of work. No major travel.

Images will be used in their online/print promotions and on the physical packaging.  

Looked around the web and found the following:

Time $100 per hour

Processing Photos: $7-40 per hour

Wear and Tear on Equipment per Shoot: $30

Travel Costs: $1per mile

Other Costs, cds, postage, etc...: cost plus 25%

Anything else I should ask or take into account??  All and any input is welcome.

Edited by NWDiver, 14 March 2015 - 09:39 AM.

#2 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:21 AM

Do not sell on time. This may (stress may as US law is not my thing) that the images are shot on "work for hire" basis which means you do not own the rights.

Do not sell on time. Price up a single image for 1 year worldwide advertising rights on Getty. Then perhaps double the number for exclusive use. Then figure out how many images they might want and multiply.

That "might" put you somewhere in the right ballpark to start negotiations.

Then check the legal side. Here in the UK we have the diving at work regulations and an advertising commission would fall under this remit. Check lo local laws. Doing it right should keep you and the client out of court.

That's my quick thoughts. Best of luck.
Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com

#3 Humu797

Humu797

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, photography, film photography, current events, progressive politics, science, medicine, ADA issues, service dogs.

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:02 PM

You might check ASMP rates. And try to retain rights to use the images for your own self-promotion if you make some images that are portfolio-worthy. Seems a bit low to me. Back in the 80s, an average editorial day rate was about $300/day plus expenses. This doesn't sound like it's going to net you much more.

#4 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1375 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:48 AM

Just looking to come across as fair.  Is there a specific Link at Getty regarding prices?  I could not find anything specific.  Anyone else have input it is welcome.  

#5 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 01:51 PM

From getty:

Advertising, worldwide, 500 placements of ONE image of a billboard, sports and leisure for 1 year.

That came to just over £6000

So if your sports company wanted to use an age for worldwide advertising for 1 year that's the kind of price Getty would charge.

Being paid by the hour might seem like a good idea...but IP is best sold on the right to use.
Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com

#6 tangfish

tangfish

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 05:45 PM

Don't get greedy. They might become a repeat customer[emoji6]

#7 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:57 PM

Best way forward?

Ask them what their budget is.
Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com

#8 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1375 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:09 AM

Again thanks for the input.  Agree once I have the story boards in hand I will pin them down on a budget.  But like most companies they may respond "what do you charge?"

The products are on the shelves of most of the major US/Canada sporting goods stores.  I know they have distribution in other parts of the world.  I don't ever recall seeing a billboard for them, and I think they mainly advertise in "sporting goods industry" magazines.  

I understand wanting to retain the rights to the images.  What I have not found is a "Pricing for Idiots" type chart for charging for prints, number of brochures distributed, images used in magazine distribution, etc...  Agree, not wanting to be greedy, just to not sound overly clueless.

Anyone have something like that?  

Thanks again...

Edited by NWDiver, 16 March 2015 - 07:12 AM.

#9 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 01:01 PM

Asking if they have a budget is not unreasonable...if they say "sure...it's in the ball park of $xxxx" then you know they are serious.

If they say "budget?" then perhaps they might be looking for freebies.

Size, or indeed existence of budget needs establishing very early on. You can waste a lot of time figuring out what you charge only to find out they have no money...never intended to have money and were wasting your time.

It's the golden rule of the freelance; find out what the budget is and then plan to take all of it. Additional services, extras, you name it you sell it.
Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com