#1 Laval

Laval

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:UW videography: macro and wide angle

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:29 AM

Hello,
I am not able to set custom white balance on my Sony a7Rii with Ikelite housing with 8 inch dome underwater. It works fine above water with the same setup, but not underwater. Could anyone share their experience and hopefully advise?
Many thanks.

#2 TaxiDiver14

TaxiDiver14

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:55 AM

You will need red filter if you want to CMWB with Sony A7RII. I do not have time to do that underwater and I use presets untill 10m and lights under 10m.

#3 Laval

Laval

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 06:38 AM

You will need red filter if you want to CMWB with Sony A7RII. I do not have time to do that underwater and I use presets untill 10m and lights under 10m.

Many thanks TaxiDiver14.  I will try it.  Referring to 'presets', I assume you ment  WB presents for different K temperature? Do you use a red filter in combination with lights?  I was getting very reddish footage with a red filter and light combination.  I thought that with a 'red filter - lights' combination, cyan filters on lights should be used.

#4 TaxiDiver14

TaxiDiver14

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 06:45 AM

Never use red filter. Only WB presets depeding on water conditions.

#5 Laval

Laval

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 06:53 AM

Thank you TaxiDiver14.  

I appreciate your recommendation.

#6 Placebo365

Placebo365

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:17 PM

I had the same issue with CWB with my Sony A6000.  I used the red filter and got error code, saying it was unable to set CWB even in the shallows with good light (worked fine above water).  Sony's response suggested picking a WB or Kelvin in the WB menu, click right which takes you into a fine adjustment where you can manually adjust.  I've actually gone back to using UWB for video and getting better results from that.

Love the sea, leave no trace, I am a hippy from outer space.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sony a7, Sony a7Rii, Ikelite, white balance, wb