• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bram de Roos

Bram de Roos

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 02:29 AM

During a night dive in the red sea this squid passed by. Any tips to further improve it? Photo is taken with a Sony RX100 mk2 (Nauticam housing) and one Sea & Sea YS-01 strobe. No extra lenses used.

29345474932_48301da9e3.jpg

Edited by Bram de Roos, 15 September 2016 - 02:29 AM.

#2 diverdon

diverdon

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:Airplanes, Motorcycles, Boats, PWC, Scuba, Photography, Nanotech, Manufacturing,

Posted 15 September 2016 - 12:08 PM

Too my eye the shot might benifit from a bit more exposure. The black needs to stay black of course, but if the body of the squid was a little brighter it would be a more dramatic contrast from the black. This might be able to be done in post if you have photoshop and open as a camera raw then paint the squid with a + exposure brush.

www.uwworld.com

#3 Cerianthus

Cerianthus

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:35 AM

are you looking for ways to improve it in LR / photoshop, or for improvements when taking it.

I disagree with the squid needing more light. It could use a little less light on the eye. From a composition point of view, it would be nice if there was more of a diagonal.

Gerard

My photo's on flickr
Crop the world ! (Using Canon 70D, 60mm, 100mm, 10-17mm FE, Ikelite)

#4 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 1844 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club

Posted 16 September 2016 - 07:25 AM

Yep, I agree with Gerard on the diagonal.

When shooting or re-composing in, say, LR, I always think it worth trying to get the critter running cross the diagonal with the most important point of interest - usually the eye - in the intersection of the line of thirds in either top or bottom corner (hope that makes sense!). For me, the object moving into the image from right to left creates the impression of the critter coming towards the viewer. If shot, from left to right, of leaving the image.

And, yep, a little less light on the eye. And maybe, just a tad extra light at the rear of the body so it's not quite fading into black.

Counsels of perfection: doncha just love them.....

Nice shot  :dancing:

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D800, Nikkors 105mm and 16-35mm, Sigma 15mmFE - Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#5 Grantjpthomas

Grantjpthomas

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Scuba diving, Free diving, Travelling, Conservation and Capturing it all on camera!

Posted 18 September 2016 - 09:02 PM

Very cool shot! I agree with both Tim and Gerard. If you crop in slightly and rotate the image a little until the squid runs more diagonaly through the frame with the eye on the intersecting lines (rule of 3rds) this would create a more powerful image and push the focal point towards the eye. And yes i also find the eye and surrounding space too bright. You could try pulling the highlights down in lightroom or use the adjustment brush to target the specific areas you want to change. 

Hope this helps! 

Grant Thomas

(PADI instructor on Tioman Island, Malaysia)

Personal webpage www.facebook.com/GrantThomasPhotos

#6 Nicool

Nicool

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:58 AM

I too agree with above comments (though i think it's already a very decent image, knowing those guys can runaway quite fast).

In terms of improvement while shooting, i'd suggest if you can be more "facing" the squid, less "on the side" (sorry i don't have the precise english words for this, but guess you'll understand ;-)).

#7 Burtooked

Burtooked

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:photography, aerial shooting, traveling

Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:34 PM

Cool photo! Rotate it a bit and the image will look better.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: squid, red sea, night dive