• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 brousseb

brousseb

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 02:47 PM

I just returned from a trip to Costa Rica for 2 weeks and put together a dive video.  It was my first real test with the LX10/Nauticam housing.  I was fairly impressed with the exception of the stabilization in 4k, I was in pretty strong current/surge so that may have played a part. I'm also extremely picky when it comes to stable shots.  1080 worked well when I slowed it down 50%. 

Everything was shot in ambient light from 30-90 feet (no filter), I had a light but didn't use it.  Color corrected in Davinci Resolve (free version)

Mostly 1080 footage, some 4k and 120fps as well.

https://youtu.be/F-oK0-Yw3iA

#2 Lee Verly

Lee Verly

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 08:06 PM

Thanks for posting.  Nice video, and that looks like some fun diving.

Can you comment more on your experience with the UWL-H100?  How much of that video used it?  I have the same combo, but have never used a wet WA (or an LX10...).

#3 brousseb

brousseb

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 04:55 AM

Hi Lee, all the shots were with the UWL-h100 and 95% of them were at full wide angle. For video I think it’s a very good combo, in 4K since the LX10 starts at 36mm, it’s almost a necessity. Hope that helps.

#4 brousseb

brousseb

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 04:44 PM

I should add that the lens actually touches the nauticam port (which is good for the quality) but does leave some marks. It’s not in the field of view with or without the Inon on. I tried adding a spacer but it impacted the video quality. It’s also very heavy;)

#5 WittzEnd

WittzEnd

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 10:58 AM

Have the same setup and just about to go out on my first dive with it, why did you shoot in 1080 so much? For the 60fps vs 30 in 4K?

#6 brousseb

brousseb

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 01:54 PM

I shot in 1080 so I could use the extra stabilization in HD along with the ability to slow it down to 50%. I find the 4K stabilization the weak point of the camera. Since I do all my editing on an iPad now, I’ve found a couple programs to apply stabilization and I think I’ll be putting the 30 FPS video on a 24 FPS timeline and slowing it to 80% which should help. I have some videos on my channel that shows this. I’m back to 4K on the LX10 now.

#7 JamworkS

JamworkS

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Video, Drone Flying

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:56 AM

I really like the video but was surprised when you said the stabilisation in 4K is no goo, that you used no lights whatsoever and you colour corrected in post.

* Why didn't you use the white balance of the camera?

* Also, why didn't you use any light?

I'm thinking in stepping up from a GoPro and thought of this camera for 4K video but seeing your comment I'm having second thoughts.

#8 brousseb

brousseb

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:10 AM

Just to clarify, I’m super picky when it comes to stabilized footage, so while it’s not perfect, it’s OK. I did use the custom white balance of the camera (which is very good), and because of that I didn’t need to use lights. Also, I was on the tail end of a month long trip and a) didn’t want to drag around lights and b) don’t have very powerful lights, they are good for macro and that’s about it.

#9 JamworkS

JamworkS

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Video, Drone Flying

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:46 PM

Thank you for your quote then, you have re-established my faith in the camera :-).

Edited by JamworkS, 10 June 2019 - 12:46 PM.