• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OwenLyonsDiver

OwenLyonsDiver

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 10:36 AM

Hi. I love my Olympus TG-5, the macro is insane. However, I'm having some trouble shooting fish, as no matter what I do (iso, aperture, etc) the camera always picks too low a shutter speed when using a flash. I understand that the flash has to be able to sync to the shutter speed but I've had shutter speeds varying from 30-100 when using the flash. All to often this value is 30, creating motion blur in my images. This can be fine for slow, macro creatures but is incredibly unreliable for fish. 

I'm wondering if there is any hack (to allow me to change shutter speed) or a mode which generally selects higher shutter speeds which still allows me to use underwater white balance as well as shoot in raw.

Thanks 

Edited by OwenLyonsDiver, 23 July 2018 - 10:37 AM.

#2 tursiops

tursiops

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 12:29 PM

This is a known problem with the TG's and moving objects, especially when trying to use a strobe. The camera tries to expose for the ambient light, so the shutter speed will nearly always be slow underwater except near the surface at midday in tropical water.

Tricks people try:

** Use EV compensation of up to 2 stops, that is, force the picture to be dark, then have the flash do the illumination.

** Use A mode and force the aperture wide open.'

** Higher ISO.

** Some combination of all the above. Time to play...

** Sports Mode. here is what one fellow said on another forum:

Sports mode will attempt to use 1/500 or faster depending on available light. As light drops, I believe it will increase ISO up a max of 1600. But, if it can't maintain 1/500, it will naturally start using lower shutter speeds. Flash may help freeze motion due to its short output duration. Yet, the shutter speed will still be slow and the flash has limited range.

If you have pushed the ISO up to 1600 and don't have a fast enough shutter speed, you don't have enough light for this camera to produce what I'd consider a clean image. The best you can do to avoid zooming and take advantage of the relatively fast f/2 lens.

Good luck!

#3 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 03:16 AM

There is an alternate approach you could try with external strobes.  With forced flash the shutter speed bottoms out at 1/30s,  so if you have external flash you can try f8 and ISO100 and if it's dark enough then flash exposure will dominate and the flash duration will freeze motion for you.   Depends on how much ambient light you have.

#4 tursiops

tursiops

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 03:31 PM

There is an alternate approach you could try with external strobes.  With forced flash the shutter speed bottoms out at 1/30s,  so if you have external flash you can try f8 and ISO100 and if it's dark enough then flash exposure will dominate and the flash duration will freeze motion for you.   Depends on how much ambient light you have.

I like this. Worth a try!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Olympus TG5, Shutter speed, raw, fish, moving, motion blur, sharp, strobe, shutter sync