Vacuum seals

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2123 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:22 AM

Is John Bantin right? Am I wrong? Is the vacuum check on a Hugyfot housing a good idea?

Are versions available for other housings?

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10638 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:16 AM

There are quite a few manufacturers for different housing brands. Housing Sentry, Scubacam Singapore makes one as well. Of course, if one forgets to seal off the valve properly, it can still flood. So it's good but it's not perfect since it can be still beaten by human error! :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2123 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:33 AM

... it's not perfect since it can be still beaten by human error! Posted Image

I'm doomed, then...

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10638 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:48 AM

You make it sound like you flood a camera every other day!

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#5 AndyBarker

AndyBarker

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:Diving , Photography , Fishing ,

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

Hi
surely anything that requires manual assembly, their is a area for human error. Vacuum check or not, concentration is the key when assembling
your kit, weather it is dive kit or your housing.

Andy

Andy Barker
D800, Seacam,S45, Nikon 60mm micro, Nikon VR 105mm micro, Nikon 16x35mm, Nikon 16mm, fe, Seaflash 150ttl & Seacam flash arms

#6 andy_deitsch

andy_deitsch

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

I like my vacuum system from Housing Sentry. I usually pull a vacuum about 30 minutes before my dive and then check to see that the vacuum is still there just before I gear up. If the pressure inside in the housing is still there, I have some comfort knowing that the housing won't leak when I get in the water. While I agree with Andy B. that concentration is key, having a little piece of mind is nice to have.

Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7D, 2x Inon z240, Tokina 10-17, Canon 60mm
Flickr: http://www.flickr.co...tos/andydeitsch

#7 Stitchercaroline

Stitchercaroline

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

I have a Hugyfot with the hugy check system and I absolutly love it. I always set my kit up the night before and never had a problem ......................... green is good Posted Image

Edited by Stitchercaroline, 07 November 2012 - 10:55 AM.

#8 Autopsea

Autopsea

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

Stupid question maybe, BUT...

would it not be more logical to actually CREATE pressure in the housing ? (assuming it closes well)
so any leak would make a lot of buble out before water can enter in ?

what about a system where the housing comes with a small pressured bottle that start blowing air in if leaks ? : )

#9 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:01 AM

These check systems are there to check that the user assembled the housing correctly. Every housing will be watertight if assembled correctly. They have been designed to be so. If you feel you never are likely to make a mistake, you don't need them.
In twenty years and maybe 230 trips abroad, I only completely flooded three cameras. That's not a bad average - but it still hurt at the time. You see, I believe I am extremely fallible especially after some long connected flights to a destination. As for putting in the plugs, I do that for ALL the unused bulkhead (strobe) connections!
In the last couple of years, the red check light has saved my camera only twice. Was it worth it? You tell me!

Edited by John Bantin, 08 November 2012 - 01:04 AM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#10 Cerianthus

Cerianthus

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:51 AM

housings are designed to withstand pressure from the outside... something odd might happen to orings if there was pressure from the inside...

Stupid question maybe, BUT...

would it not be more logical to actually CREATE pressure in the housing ? (assuming it closes well)
so any leak would make a lot of buble out before water can enter in ?

what about a system where the housing comes with a small pressured bottle that start blowing air in if leaks ? : )

Gerard

My photo's on flickr
Crop the world ! (Using Canon 20D, 60mm, 100mm, 10-17mm FE, Ikelite)

#11 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:32 AM

About 30 years ago, there was a camera housing that you pumped up. It leaked.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#12 Autopsea

Autopsea

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:55 AM

I know, but I just like to think about new different design that would make it good : )
the main problem coming from the fact we want small housing, so there is not so much space left inside when the camera is in, and so "inside-when-open" door system (that would make the oring in the right position when more pressure in than out) are hard, unless using some geometric properties.

What about a simple cristal ball with two waterproof entrance for hands (gloves-like) that would be kept under pressure ? haha, I have to stop having stupid ideas ^^

#13 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:01 AM

Someone rightly pointed out to me that it meant another through-body connection that might possibly leak one day. I have observed that my last film camera housing had 13 through-body connections whereas my latest digital camera housing has 44 !

When I first reviewed a digital camera housing (the Sea & Sea for the Nikon D100) for a magazine, I commented on the fact that the huge number of controls looked like a recipe for a flood. Thankfully, so far I've been proved wrong but maybe the pace of development of digital cameras means we never keep a housing long enough to find out!

Edited by John Bantin, 08 November 2012 - 03:01 AM.

#14 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2123 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:19 AM

You make it sound like you flood a camera every other day!

It just feels that way...

... in fact, one user-error flood in 15 years and an exploding dome that wiped out my D300.

Insurance is a problem, though, because I've lost a housing. Because of that, I'm exploring ways to increase the security of my once-shiny new system.

#15 Autopsea

Autopsea

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:37 AM

Because of that, I'm exploring ways to increase the security of my once-shiny new system.

Decide for rules and stick to it ; )
never let anyone else touch it.

#16 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2123 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:03 AM

Decide for rules and stick to it ; )
never let anyone else touch it.

Yes, my Granny did teach me to suck eggs, you know...

#17 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

TDP, if you've fallen under the spell of the Wizard Tattersall, you will just have to wait until a princess comes along to kiss you.

#18 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10638 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:17 AM

It just feels that way...

... in fact, one user-error flood in 15 years and an exploding dome that wiped out my D300.

Insurance is a problem, though, because I've lost a housing. Because of that, I'm exploring ways to increase the security of my once-shiny new system.

I'd forgotten you suffered from a pop-a-dome too. That was a Nauticam design flaw and I doubt a vacuum system would've detected it.
The.best way to prevent accidents is to take up golf. :) . Otherise, to err is human and to be uw photography human, you accept crap is gonna happen. Just saw a C300 go glub glub and the insurance is contesting the claim because he stupidly put experimental housing.

Drew