Stills off video using Vegas 8

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 scubaseven

scubaseven

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Interests:Diving, computers, cycling, swimming, movies and music.

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:00 PM

Hi. Just started using Vegas pro 8.
Wondering if you can capture still photos off your video footage and if so how?
I can do it using powerdirector, but want to use vegas all the time.
If so, does the photo come out high quality (6mp +) or just an average quality still?
cheers
Hope is never lost, but often given up.

#2 scubaseven

scubaseven

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:16 PM

Think I worked it out.
Position the cursor in the timeline to choose the frame you want to save. The frame is displayed in the Video Preview window.
Click the Video Preview Quality button and choose a setting from the menu to change the size of the frame in the Video Preview window.
Click the Save Snapshot to File button to save the current frame as an image file.
The Image Filename dialog is displayed to allow you to choose the format and location where you want to save the file. The file is automatically added to the Project Media list.

If this is not the best or only way please let me know.
Thanks.

#3 wolfeeldiver

wolfeeldiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Interests:Finally getting into creating underwater videos after 30 yrs of shooting stills. Now were having fun!

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:58 PM

When I try that, I get a .jpg image, that appers "zig zaggy" when zoomed in. Edges are not sharp, not crisp. It appears as if I'm only saving to the export file either only the odd or the even interlaced lines of the chosen frame. When I look at the Preview pane, the image is much crisper. I wonder why? Is is because my export to file of an interlaced frame, is only exporing half the image?

Edited by wolfeeldiver, 17 February 2009 - 08:59 PM.

#4 ronscuba

ronscuba

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:55 AM

When I try that, I get a .jpg image, that appers "zig zaggy" when zoomed in. Edges are not sharp, not crisp. It appears as if I'm only saving to the export file either only the odd or the even interlaced lines of the chosen frame. When I look at the Preview pane, the image is much crisper. I wonder why? Is is because my export to file of an interlaced frame, is only exporing half the image?

I think you are correct wolfeel. In photoshop elements there is a filter called video:deinterlace. Works well, but you still don't get a picture as good as a quality dedicated camera.

#5 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2249 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:31 AM

Make sure your preview quality is set at "Best (Full)" when you export the still.

Make sure your project properties match your video media (File > Project Properties > Video tab > Match Media Settings (yellow folder top right in the dialogue box)).

If you're working with interlaced footage, get rid of the "jaggies" by deinterlacing. Do this temporarily in Vegas prior to exporting the still (File > Project Properties > Video tab > Field order > None (progressive scan) and make sure you have a deinterlace method set on the same dialog - mine is usually "blend"). Remember to set project properties back to match your video media again afterwards if you're going to be doing video editing.

Personally I export an interlaced still and deinterlace it in Photoshop afterwards (Filter > Video > De-interlace).

Besides the "Save Snapshot to File" command you can also "Copy Snapshot to Clipboard" using the icon next to it and then paste that into another program. In some circumstances you can get a slightly different resolution using that method.

Edited by Nick Hope, 18 February 2009 - 10:33 AM.

#6 scubaseven

scubaseven

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 02:51 PM

Thanks Nick for the detailed info
Looks like I need photoshop also
Was just starting to get a basic knowledge of Vegas (prob 1% of what is on it) and now I have to go through it all over again
I think someone else said this, "I am too old for this s@#t"
Cheers all.
:)

#7 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2249 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:42 AM

Seven, setting progressive scan in Vegas prior to exporting the still is quite OK. No need to get Photoshop just for that.

If you're not an instruction manual reader, maybe you should try some Vegas tutorial DVDs or something. VASST have some, among others.

#8 scubaseven

scubaseven

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 02:55 PM

Nick
cannot find the instruction manual
I have the dvd, but its 400km away
will have it next weekend
have been downloading "how to" vids off youtube so far
thanks

#9 wolfeeldiver

wolfeeldiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Interests:Finally getting into creating underwater videos after 30 yrs of shooting stills. Now were having fun!

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:10 PM

Make sure your preview quality is set at "Best (Full)" when you export the still.

Make sure your project properties match your video media (File > Project Properties > Video tab > Match Media Settings (yellow folder top right in the dialogue box)).

If you're working with interlaced footage, get rid of the "jaggies" by deinterlacing. Do this temporarily in Vegas prior to exporting the still (File > Project Properties > Video tab > Field order > None (progressive scan) and make sure you have a deinterlace method set on the same dialog - mine is usually "blend"). Remember to set project properties back to match your video media again afterwards if you're going to be doing video editing.

Personally I export an interlaced still and deinterlace it in Photoshop afterwards (Filter > Video > De-interlace).

Besides the "Save Snapshot to File" command you can also "Copy Snapshot to Clipboard" using the icon next to it and then paste that into another program. In some circumstances you can get a slightly different resolution using that method.

Great tips, thanks for sharing.

#10 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 983 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:23 PM

If so, does the photo come out high quality (6mp +) or just an average quality still?....
cheers

Full HD is 1080x1920 so that = 2.0736 MP

Darren Jew  |  Australia  |  darrenjew.com  |  fotofrenzy.com.au

Canon EOS1Dx   |   EOSM   |   Nauticam  |   Inon Z240

#11 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2249 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:41 PM

From HDV, Vegas Pro exports 1920 x 1080 stills at about 400-500 KB.

#12 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3849 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:57 PM

Now if you had you know what...all it takes is a simple click on a button to get a full res deintelaced image from the timeline :P

Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos | www.flykam.com.au

#13 wolfeeldiver

wolfeeldiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:32 PM

Now if you had you know what...all it takes is a simple click ...:P

Yea.. yea.. yea.. Wagsy... we know.. we know... :lol:

#14 scubaseven

scubaseven

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 05:12 AM

Full HD is 1080x1920 so that = 2.0736 MP

thanks for that
the 4MP stills on the HC 9 are better or the 6MP (when not filming) better still
so may just go with that.
2MP is ok for a phone.
cheers