7 replies to this topic

#1 brousseb

brousseb

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:44 AM

Looks like I can post a new topic now.  

This is a test of my new Panasonic LX10 and Nauticam housing (no wet lenses). My goal was to test auto WB, custom WB, with and without a red filter, with and without lights to see what the ideal settings were.

I adjusted the curves and increased the contrast. I did not adjust saturation. I’m not an expert in colour correction so I’m sure it could have been done better.

The 2 ideal settings I found were custom WB (off a white card) with a red filter without lights, and Auto WB with a red filter when lights are used. I couldn’t get good results without the red filter and I found that the custom WB with lights give off too much red (as expected). This was over the course of 3 dives (1 of those dives had 5 feet of viz, the other two were 30+). My sole purpose was to test the camera, there was not much sea life and I tried to get a variety of shots.

Most were shot in 4k30 with a few clips in 1080 120, exported as 1080. All shots are labelled in the video.

Setup:

- Panasonic LX10 with Nauticam housing

- Mangrove Red Filter on a i-Das flip holder

- 2x iTorch Mini 800 lumen lights

- Cinelike D profile (-3, -5, -2, -5)

- iMove and Davinci Resolve

#2 EvilOtter

EvilOtter

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:20 AM

Thanks for sharing the results of your testing. You may want to try some more testing of MWB without the red filter (I only saw one clip where you tried this). In my experience with the LX100, I can get good results with MWB in ambient light down to 40-50 feet, depending on visibility, and with the sun at my back. Below this, I set my white balance to the colour temperature of my video lights.

Scuba Diving Adventures in Roatán, Honduras

Please visit my YouTube channel: Fish Nerd Films

#3 brousseb

brousseb

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:13 PM

I'll try manual white balance again without the filter, there were some clips near the end of the video but the conditions on that dive were pretty horrible so maybe it wasn't a good test.

Thanks

#4 brousseb

brousseb

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:38 PM

EvilOtter, I gave my editing another try using the Davinci Resolve waveforms, much better results.  Now that I have a wide angle lens I will likely not be using a red filter anymore.  Here is a clip of what the manual white balance can do:

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

Edited by brousseb, 25 January 2018 - 05:39 PM.

#5 EvilOtter

EvilOtter

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 06:10 PM

That's some really nice colour grading. Well done! I have the freeware version of resolve sitting on my laptop but I haven't had enough time to dig into it. Your edit is inspiring me to give it a shot!

Scuba Diving Adventures in Roatán, Honduras

Please visit my YouTube channel: Fish Nerd Films

#6 brousseb

brousseb

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 04:57 AM

The free Resolve is pretty much fully featured, make sure you have the latest version (14 I think) because they made a bunch of performance improvements. Im running it on a very under-specd laptop.

#7 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:10 AM

EvilOtter, I gave my editing another try using the Davinci Resolve waveforms, much better results.  Now that I have a wide angle lens I will likely not be using a red filter anymore.  Here is a clip of what the manual white balance can do:

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

You should still use red filter and custom WB up to 85 ft (depend on visibility). In your clip, the graded clip has almost purple water. I shoot with LX100, if you use the "Scenery" color profile, the blue is much better in that profile.

#8 brousseb

brousseb

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:36 PM

Alright - one more.  Now that I'm getting more familiar with the curves and waveforms in Davinci Resolve, here is short video testing the various WB and red filter settings:

https://www.youtube....h?v=DttYbmwEvFM

1: Auto WB, red filter, raw footage

2: Auto WB, red filter, color corrected

3: Custom WB, red filter, raw footage

4: Custom WB, red filter, color corrected

5: Custom WB, no red filter, raw footage

6: Custom WB, no red filter, color corrected

The Auto WB actually turned out pretty well I think.