Photo

Aquatica housing - Nikonos versus TTL Bulkhead?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 brokenbones

brokenbones

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:59 PM

I am looking at upgrading from my old Canon P&S/housing to a Nikon D40x with an Aquatica housing.

One of the issues I have is which bulkhead should I go with? They offer 4 different options:
  • Nikonos manual
  • Nikonos TTL
  • Ikelite manual
  • Ikelite TTL

I know that I will need some strobes in the near future, so which bulkhead should I take that makes the Aquatica housing future proof for me? I know that I want TTL, but which one??

Thanks in advance!

Edited by brokenbones, 03 March 2009 - 02:16 PM.

#2 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2859 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:18 PM

I did not realize that there were four bulkheads now (have not looked into this recently) I thought that it was only (a) Nikonos bulkhead and/or (b) an Ikelite Bulkhead (which will only be placed in one bulkhead as far as I know even on a two bulkhead housing, note that the 40DX housing comes with one bulkhead unless you also add an option for a second bulkhead. In either event you would need an adaptor Ike Adaptors (This is assuming you are not having another modification to the housing.) Personally I think I prefer Ike bulkheads I think at this time, just because of the way the cords attach, a bit easier than Nikonos.

As to future proof? I do not think it ever happens :P

#3 brokenbones

brokenbones

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 03:56 PM

Thanks.

I think there are just 2 options....Ikelite or Nikonos bulkhead. I think I just got confused reading pages and pages of info on it.

#4 mmakay

mmakay

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:37 PM

Nikonos bulkheads are more universal, but the Ikelite bulkheads are a lot better design. If you are planning to use Ikelite strobes, it's a no brainer.

-Mickey

#5 nikonV

nikonV

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:39 PM

As I understand the option youn have are 2-pin non tll or 5-pin ttl nikonosbulkhead and the same choice between the different ikelitebulkhead if you chose the non ttl version it`s not possible to get ttl ever but if you chose the ttl version you need a ttl-circuit(brand depanding your strobes ikelite or heinrich) even if you only shoot manaully .. cristal clear now :P ... Tll is great to have especially if you shoot macro ..

regards jacob

#6 Slijmvis

Slijmvis

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:52 PM

As I understand the option youn have are 2-pin non tll or 5-pin ttl nikonosbulkhead and the same choice between the different ikelitebulkhead if you chose the non ttl version it`s not possible to get ttl ever but if you chose the ttl version you need a ttl-circuit(brand depanding your strobes ikelite or heinrich) even if you only shoot manaully .. cristal clear now :P ... Tll is great to have especially if you shoot macro ..

regards jacob

Hi Jacob

What is the consequence if you use a TTL bulkhead, without a ttl circuit, and the flash preset on manual?

Ron O

#7 nikonV

nikonV

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:49 PM

Hi Jacob

What is the consequence if you use a TTL bulkhead, without a ttl circuit, and the flash preset on manual?

Ron O

As I understand the flash will simply not fire...

#8 Slijmvis

Slijmvis

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:27 AM

As I understand the flash will simply not fire...

It does! That is not the problem
I have a D700 and I bought a Aquatica house with Ikelite TTL bulkhead.
When I connect my Ikelite DS125 flash (manual preset) everything works fine, but after a while (5 minutes or a hour) the flash begins to flash uncontrollable without me touching the camera. When I quickly shut down the flash and activate it a short while later it does not respond anymore.
I thought it had something to do with not having a ttl circuit?

#9 reubencahn

reubencahn

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:52 AM

You can tape off pins on the ttl bulkhead to allow you to shoot without a converter.