129 replies to this topic

#121 Nicool

Nicool

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:16 PM

Hi guys, what sort of routine do you apply for the retra o-rings:
-Lubricating each time you open battery compartment?
-taking out the orings to do so?
-with which lube? I have hips of inon grease...

Cheers
Nicolas

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

#122 Oskar@RetraUWT

Oskar@RetraUWT

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:27 AM

Hi guys, what sort of routine do you apply for the retra o-rings:
-Lubricating each time you open battery compartment?
-taking out the orings to do so?
-with which lube? I have hips of inon grease...

Cheers
Nicolas

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Hi Nicolas

We suggest lubricating every 10 times the battery compartment is opened/closed. The o-rings don't need to be taken out if they are clean and without dirt or debris. We supply a silicone grease with the Retra Flash although any silicone grease is useful for lubrication. 

www.retra-uwt.com

#123 Nicool

Nicool

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:26 PM

Hi Nicolas

We suggest lubricating every 10 times the battery compartment is opened/closed. The o-rings don't need to be taken out if they are clean and without dirt or debris. We supply a silicone grease with the Retra Flash although any silicone grease is useful for lubrication. 

Thanks for this Oskar!

#124 Nicool

Nicool

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:08 PM

One more question to you Oskar if i may, but i guess i won't be the only one wondering: on the Retra flashes i've borrowed i see the following power levels: 100, 50, 25, 6, 1, and corresponding: +2, +1, 0, -1, -2, which i guess are in EV.

For the 1st scale i am confused: from 100 to 50 and 50 to 25 that's -1 EV (division by 2 if i am not wrong), but i don't understand the jump from 25 to 6 and then 6 to 1, which are also spaced by 1 EV if i am reading well.

cheers

Nicolas

#125 Oskar@RetraUWT

Oskar@RetraUWT

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:22 AM

One more question to you Oskar if i may, but i guess i won't be the only one wondering: on the Retra flashes i've borrowed i see the following power levels: 100, 50, 25, 6, 1, and corresponding: +2, +1, 0, -1, -2, which i guess are in EV.

For the 1st scale i am confused: from 100 to 50 and 50 to 25 that's -1 EV (division by 2 if i am not wrong), but i don't understand the jump from 25 to 6 and then 6 to 1, which are also spaced by 1 EV if i am reading well.

cheers

Nicolas

The EV stops are in brackets as is the STTL mode indicating that these two are linked. EV stops are +/- 2 stops and correspond to compensation in STTL mode. 

Power from 1-100 is in percentage and is used for manual modes (ON and SL). Big dots indicate a 1 F-stop increment whilst small dots indicate a 0.5 F-stop increment. Only between 25-100% do we have half stop increments. 

Did you get the practical instructions sheet with the borrowed strobes? It's one A5 piece of waterproof paper which you can take in your dive box and explains these basic features as well as different modes and maintenance.

www.retra-uwt.com

#126 Nicool

Nicool

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 04:23 AM

The EV stops are in brackets as is the STTL mode indicating that these two are linked. EV stops are +/- 2 stops and correspond to compensation in STTL mode. 

Power from 1-100 is in percentage and is used for manual modes (ON and SL). Big dots indicate a 1 F-stop increment whilst small dots indicate a 0.5 F-stop increment. Only between 25-100% do we have half stop increments. 

Did you get the practical instructions sheet with the borrowed strobes? It's one A5 piece of waterproof paper which you can take in your dive box and explains these basic features as well as different modes and maintenance.

Thanks for these explanations Oskar, i didn’t get the instructions but it’s all clear now.

On my current Inon z240 i have always 0.5 stops increments, so i know by how much i’ll add/decrease the strobe output when manipulating the knob, even without looking.

Out of curiosity, what’s the reason for not offering 0.5 stops increments below 25%?
Is it because you’re assuming most people would use these low powers only when getting very close to subject, and at these distances strobe power needs to be decreased quicker?

Regards
Nicolas

#127 Oskar@RetraUWT

Oskar@RetraUWT

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:10 AM

Thanks for these explanations Oskar, i didn’t get the instructions but it’s all clear now.

On my current Inon z240 i have always 0.5 stops increments, so i know by how much i’ll add/decrease the strobe output when manipulating the knob, even without looking.

Out of curiosity, what’s the reason for not offering 0.5 stops increments below 25%?
Is it because you’re assuming most people would use these low powers only when getting very close to subject, and at these distances strobe power needs to be decreased quicker?

Regards
Nicolas

Yes, with lower power the shooting distance is usually shorter and a half stop difference would amount to a relatively small change in distance. In those situations it's also usually more effective to slightly change your setting on the camera rather than reaching out to the strobe and possibly mucking up the scene. 

This begs a question for the community: Have you found the lowest power setting (1%) on the Retra Flash to be too powerful and if yes in which situation?

www.retra-uwt.com

#128 Undertow

Undertow

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:57 AM

I'm very glad to hear this. So it means minimum power is actually -6 stops correct?? I had assumed it was -4. Even though I've already decided to go with the Retra, this was an important element vs z330.

Personally I've had situations shooting in low light where I wanted less than minimum power on my z240's to balance with ambient. But I'm making some ND gels to accomplish this. 

#129 Oskar@RetraUWT

Oskar@RetraUWT

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:48 PM

I'm very glad to hear this. So it means minimum power is actually -6 stops correct?? I had assumed it was -4. Even though I've already decided to go with the Retra, this was an important element vs z330.

Personally I've had situations shooting in low light where I wanted less than minimum power on my z240's to balance with ambient. But I'm making some ND gels to accomplish this. 

Yes, the complete range is 7 F-stops.

www.retra-uwt.com

#130 SMY

SMY

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:photography, diving, hiking in the mountains and everything with an Apple on...

Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:23 AM

I know, that the flash sounds simple....but is there a manual out there?