2 replies to this topic

#1 Ahmed Yahya

Ahmed Yahya

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 07:52 AM

Hi everyone

I am trying to make up my mind about the Seafrogs ( or Meikon ) housing for Sony a6500. The price point is very attractive but I need some real life trusted feedback about their new interchangeable port housings rated at 60m. i've seen some reviews out there but most of them are surfers not divers.

Has anyone purchased their housing and dived with it? What is your opinion about it?

A6XXX-white-01.jpg?v=1544686868

#2 Barmaglot

Barmaglot

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 10:05 AM

I've had mine for about 10 months now, ~40 dives to a maximum of 30 meters, no serious issues. Shooting it with 10-18mm and 16-50mm lenses in 8" dome port and 90mm macro in telephoto port. The issues that I have encountered are, in no particular order:

• 10-18mm zoom ring requires very careful alignment - if it contacts the housing, then the teeth just slip when you turn the knob, but if you pull it too far back, then it fails to contact. Usually takes me a few tries as I seal the housing to get it right. It was recently suggested to me to use silicone grease on its front edge; I haven't yet tried that.
  • Left fiber optic socket is not as good at transmitting camera flash pulses out of the housing as the right one - with my strobes (SeaFrogs ST-100 Pro) this sometimes causes one of the strobes to miss its pre-flash. I suppose it can be mitigated by using a double FO plug in the right socket, but I'm waiting for UW-Technics LED trigger to come out before buying new FO cables.
  • SeaFrogs does not offer extension rings for the ports, so you can't customize port barrel lengths to suit various lenses' nodal points. 10-18mm and 16-50mm work well enough with their ports, but corners are still somewhat soft - I don't know whether a finer adjustment of port length would have improved that.
  • There is no focus ring for 90mm macro lens, so it's AF-only. I might, at some point, get my act together and 3D-print one.
  • They only sell a neoprene cover for 6" dome port, not for 8" dome. The latter comes with a cloth cover in the box, and I dived with it off a boat, but it doesn't offer much protection. I got a generic 8" dome cover off eBay and it works well enough though.

Otherwise, no complaints. It's got every feature except add-on viewfinders, port extension rings, electrical strobe sync and video monitor hookups. Ergonomics are fine, all the controls work. Their VPS-100 vacuum system has warned me about a poor seal twice now - one time, I found a little cat hair (I was staying at a house with lots of cats) on the main o-ring; the other time I don't know what it was, but cleaning and re-greasing the door and port o-rings has achieved a good seal and my camera survived to tell the tale.

#3 johns3

johns3

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 01:14 PM

My dive buddy is looking at Sea Frogs for Sony a6400.  Appreciate the review!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sea frogsseafrogs, Meikon, sony, 6500