Photo

Going for UW equipment starting from zero. Advice appreciated.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Castillo

Castillo

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 08:32 AM

Hi!

I posted before asking about compacts but after googling a lot I'm still none the wiser.

I'm going on a trip in a while that will involve quite a bit of diving as well as some backpacking and I would like to get some UW photography done.

I'm not very experienced with photography, but I know the basics of a DSLR. I have about 180 dives and am a DM though, so I can move relatively well underwarter.

I have some questions and some decisions to make.

1. What camera? G7X mkII, rx100 (which model?), Lx10, Tg5, mirrorless (why tho?). It's hard to decide.
2. What lenses should I get? I would love to shoot nudies and such, but also be able to shoot wide.
3. What kind of light, I've gathered that it is very important to have that.
4. Easy questions maybe if money was not an issue, but unfortunately it is. I have a budget of about 2500 EUR. Not a lot but hopefully I can get some help here to identify what I need for my start setup.

Thank you in advance!

Edited by Castillo, 19 November 2018 - 08:34 AM.

#2 Tronstad87

Tronstad87

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 08:45 AM

Hi,
I have just bought a new setup after flooding the first.

I did go for the canon g7x mk ii and a nauticam housing.
Did also bought a sea and sea ys-03, a fully ttl flash, whit no option for manual mode.
Did end up around 2000 Eur that with the flexitray and vacuum valve for the housing.

The plan is to use the ds 03 as a secondary flash, when i can afford to buy an ys-D2.

I had the g7x mk I first and therefore ended up with mk ii.
Very happy with the setup, but I've kind of a newbie in the uw photo

Best regard

Sent fra min SM-G965F via Tapatalk

#3 sbonev

sbonev

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 08:52 AM

Check this topic on my take for the lx15 - for all parts from housing to flashes and wet lenses. :

http://wetpixel.com/...116#entry400847

#4 Castillo

Castillo

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 09:00 AM

Hi,
I have just bought a new setup after flooding the first.

I did go for the canon g7x mk ii and a nauticam housing.
Did also bought a sea and sea ys-03, a fully ttl flash, whit no option for manual mode.
Did end up around 2000 Eur that with the flexitray and vacuum valve for the housing.

The plan is to use the ds 03 as a secondary flash, when i can afford to buy an ys-D2.

I had the g7x mk I first and therefore ended up with mk ii.
Very happy with the setup, but I've kind of a newbie in the uw photo

Best regard

I've been looking at the MkII as well and with all that I need to start it seems affordable as well. Could I check out some pf the pictures you habe taken with it?

Edited by Castillo, 19 November 2018 - 09:01 AM.

#5 Castillo

Castillo

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 09:06 AM

Check this topic on my take for the lx15 - for all parts from housing to flashes and wet lenses. :

http://wetpixel.com/...116#entry400847

I checked it out, what light and lenses do you use (wide and macro)? How much did that setup run you?

Also is the Lx10 and Lx15 the same? , I've read that is just another name in some markets and Lx10 is not sold where I live only Lx15.

You wrote as well that you can't change from macro to wide uw, I thought that was the advantage with wet lenses? Is that a problem with the other cameras and housings as well?

Also could I check out some of your pictures with your setup? 🙂

Thanks!

Edited by Castillo, 19 November 2018 - 09:07 AM.

#6 Tronstad87

Tronstad87

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 09:08 AM

I've been looking at the MkII as well and with all that I need to start it seems affordable as well. Could I check out some pf the pictures you habe taken with it?

Have just a few on my phone, transferd trough the wifi on cam. This is straight out of camera :)
So the raw convert is not the best.

Can see later when I get on a better connection that I have some that is not compromised that much.
d0d2f276be1e9d40e9565b2f43343613.jpg4f982bd6f8ce80a8c0ff8dab51943104.jpg021657852cde5e3975a71e23e6873677.jpgf4291ded0026e1b57200abee452ddb29.jpga1744fe33ca9c737b2cfdc04f88f6537.jpg014e368a3b982a0f40a279455ed62ba4.jpg

#7 Castillo

Castillo

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 09:21 AM

Have just a few on my phone, transferd trough the wifi on cam. This is straight out of camera :)
So the raw convert is not the best.

Can see later when I get on a better connection that I have some that is not compromised that much.

Nice, what lenses do you use for the camera?

#8 Tronstad87

Tronstad87

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 09:24 AM

Nice, what lenses do you use for the camera?

Just the original,
Haven't bought any wetlenses yet, not sure of what I want first, wide angle or a macro/diopter or a second flash and focus light :)

#9 sbonev

sbonev

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 09:26 AM

I checked it out, what light and lenses do you use (wide and macro)? How much did that setup run you? --- last post explains the wet lenses, as for how much is difficult to say, I prefer not calculate it, too much for sure, but the most important thing beyond the housing are the flashes, and then you can slowly buy the other things like lenses, bayonet, etc.

Also is the Lx10 and Lx15 the same? , I've read that is just another name in some markets and Lx10 is not sold where I live only Lx15. ---lx15 is the european version of lx10

You wrote as well that you can't change from macro to wide uw, I thought that was the advantage with wet lenses? Is that a problem with the other cameras and housings as well? ---you can using bayonet, though the wide angle is really impaired this way, read all my posts there for details, basically the best working conditions i found for hte moment are only wide angle directly screwed to the housing, or with bayonet switching between macro and normal use. As for other cameras, on theory there are working versions, though i have my concerns, as when you add a macro on bayonet you have to really zoom to the end so the macro wet lens should work without problem. the issue is mainly with the wide angle, if you use a bayonet there will space between the camera lens and the wide angle lens, so vignetting appears and you have to zoom in, in that case you lose some of the wide angle quality. hence mounting the wide on the housing directly improves compared to a bayonet, and in my case i still have to zoom in order to remove vignetting from the angles, but it is just a little bit - as lx10 is 24mm and the wide angle lens is also made for 24mm, zooming to 28mm i have good working conditions

Also could I check out some of your pictures with your setup?  ---yes of course, there should be links in my profile - i have posted here the link for selection of the pictures and also a video, but some of the latest macro and wide angle are not there, send me a private message and i will try to share them, or better check my instagram - www.instagram.com/sbonev mostly all the latest pics are with the lx10, all the underwater especially, including the best of the macro and wide angle, though i had the wide only on 2 dives in total, same with the macro wet lens.
Thanks!

Edited by sbonev, 19 November 2018 - 09:40 AM.

#10 DivealotZA

DivealotZA

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 08:47 PM

I'm a full advocate of get your best bang-for-buck and I find it hard to beat the G7Xii packages out there...

I shoot with a Fantasea or Ikelite housing and find they fit the purpose perfectly.

I only shoot with 1x Inon Z-240 and find it gives me a decent amount of light (I got it on the cheap - so no complaints) and I only recently (last 2 months got a Fantasea ucl-09 Macro lens)

You can see instagram for some reference images: https://www.instagram.com/divealot_za/

and here's one of my favorite ever with no lenses  :)

2zggj80.jpg

And here's some nice macro with the lens:

28jw2rm.jpg

2j44pae.jpg

Edited by DivealotZA, 19 November 2018 - 09:41 PM.

#11 south carolina

south carolina

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 08:55 PM

Nice shots!